COMPLETE: Mabel Ross, The Sewing Girl -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Mabel Ross, the Sewing Girl .

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/mabel-ross-the-sewing-girl-by-unknown/

Orphaned Mabel struggles to raise her sisters by working as a sewing girl for long hours and low wages. She meets her challenges with a calm steady faith while her younger sister chafes against the injustice of their lot in life. She is determined to uncover the mystery she thinks is lurking behind their misfortune. This book will appeal to those who love intimate family dramas, light mysteries, scathing social commentaries, or sewing machines! ( Jennifer Fournier)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/mabelrosssewing00unkngoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Family Life; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: Mystery, faith, christian, social, sewing machine, sewing, injustice

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Mabel Ross, the Sewing Girl. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Mabel Ross, the Sewing Girl. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Mabel Ross, the Sewing Girl. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Mabel Ross, the Sewing Girl. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename mabelross_##_unknown_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mabelross_01_unknown_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags are now optional. They are added automatically during cataloging.
    Artist: Unknown
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Mabel Ross, the Sewing Girl

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

Seems like 1 Jan 2017 is a great day to launch a solo project!
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll set this up for you, Jennifer. MW will be available shortly.
Jo
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

You are both great! Thank you. Fair warning craigdav1, this might be a slow one...but it shall be completed eventually :D
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

As an FYI, I entered this as author "Unknown" rather than Anonymous. I also shortened the suggested filenames abit.

I've added Dave as DPL so I think we are all set. Moving to Going Solo...
Jo
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

I have uploaded a few files. I had forgotten all the MW updating steps so had relearn more than a little :) Please let me know if I got it right or need to fix something.

Dave - get out your hanky for Chap 1 - it's a tear jerker :(
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

0 PL OK.

MW looks fine though you should change the status of the files to "Ready for PL." Off now to get my hanky. And off to the Art Institute of Chicago before some exhibits close. Will finish later.

1-2 PL OK.
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Checking in but haven't recorded Mabel...maybe next month....this will be a slow project for me.
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Whoops... didn't realize it is so long since I posted. I have recorded another chapter (or two?) but want to get a few more done before uploading.
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

I have not forgotten you and have not abandoned this project ;)

I expect it won't be until after Sept that I can give recording time to this but I still plan/hope to meet my 31 Dec goal for the book being done.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

OK, Jennifer. Thanks for keeping in touch.
Jo
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Still here...sort of. I am out of the country for 6 months for work. Will have to slip my completion date to Summer 18.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Just checking on the status here, Jennifer. Are you back and still planning to finish this solo?
Jo
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

I am back...have been for 3 months but have been using the time to catch up on other projects. Good/bad news is that I am (probably-still not set) taking another job out of state for 6 months.

I have also changed my recording equipment since I did the first few chapters so will probably re-record them.

What is the best way forward? Pull this or leave it on hold?

Jennifer
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Jennifer

If you don't intend to use the files, or get back to this any time soon, then we can abandon this, delete the files and you can start over with a new project in the launchpad when and if you get back to this. Alternately, this project can be put on hold and the thread stored off the active forum as is until you let an admin know that you are ready to have it moved back here. At that point you can decide what to do with the files. Just let me know which you would prefer.

(Note: a third option, if you really don't think you will have time for this - we can abandon the project and then someone can use your existing files and finish it up as a group project.)
Jo