question about public domain

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

There is a book I am interested in recording. All information I can find on original publish date is 192-? .. they all have a question mark at the end.

It is available on-line through Project Gutenberg Australia but not Gutenberg USA. Are they holding off because they're not sure of the copywrite?

When I searched the title on babel.hathitrust.org I found this
We have determined this work to be in the public domain in the United States of America. It may not be in the public domain in other countries. Copies are provided as a preservation service. Particularly outside of the United States, persons receiving copies should make appropriate efforts to determine the copyright status of the work in their country and use the work accordingly. It is possible that current copyright holders, heirs or the estate of the authors of individual portions of the work, such as illustrations or photographs, assert copyrights over these portions. Depending on the nature of subsequent use that is made, additional rights may need to be obtained independently of anything we can address.
Can I go ahead and record this using the Australian e-text or do I need to wait until it becomes available on USA Gutenberg?
Last edited by mzmolly65 on December 26th, 2016, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carteki

Post by carteki »

More information and links will be needed to answer your question....
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

For us to give a particular answer you need to give us an actual name for the book
Hathitrust are usually careful , the fact it is on PG Australia often means there were doubts about it for PG itself

Anne
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

annise wrote:For us to give a particular answer you need to give us an actual name for the book
Hathitrust are usually careful , the fact it is on PG Australia often means there were doubts about it for PG itself

Anne
The book is Black Magic: A Tale of the Rise and Fall of the Antichrist by Marjorie Bowen

It's the first book on the list from this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58271

There are links in that thread that I followed to the information I posted.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Someone else will need to check - because I'm in Australia Hathitrust won't let me see it :cry: so I can't see if it has a date

Anne
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

This is the catalog record at Hathi Trust. It is marked as Public Domain US on Hathi Trust.
Black magic / by Marjorie Bowen.
Main Author: Bowen, Marjorie, 1888-1952.
Language(s): English
Published: London : Chapman & Dodd, [192?]
Note: Cuttered under Preedy, George
Physical Description: 252 p. ; 18 cm.
I uploaded page 6 as a .pdf - it says that this is in a series of books to be published in 1922.

http://uploads.librivox.org/xx-nonproject/black_magic_page6.pdf
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The British Library has four editions from different publishers:

Alston Rivers, 1909.
Hodder & Stoughton, 1912.
Chapman & Dodd, 1922.
John Lane, 1926.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

Thank you all, that is everything I had already found so back to my original question
Can I go ahead and record this using the Australian e-text or do I need to wait until it becomes available on USA Gutenberg?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I cannot access the Hathi Trust one, either, from here in Canada.

I think one would need to compare the Gutenberg.au and the Hathi Trust texts. If they're identical, you could use the PG AU text. If they differ at all, you'd need to use the Hathi Trust text, keeping in mind anyone outside the US cannot access it. (If someone had full HT access, they maybe could download the file and upload it to Archive.)

IMHO. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

TriciaG wrote:I cannot access the Hathi Trust one, either, from here in Canada.

I think one would need to compare the Gutenberg.au and the Hathi Trust texts. If they're identical, you could use the PG AU text. If they differ at all, you'd need to use the Hathi Trust text, keeping in mind anyone outside the US cannot access it. (If someone had full HT access, they maybe could download the file and upload it to Archive.)

IMHO. :)
I was able to download the HT.pdf. Can I upload it for you and how would I do that?

ETA: I wasn't able to view the HT version yesterday which is why I was asking if I could read the AU Gutenberg version, but I have the HT pdf now so am going to use that.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do you have a login at Archive? If so, go to Archive and click the "Upload" icon in the top black bar. It has been a while since I've uploaded a text to Archive, so I can't give step by step instructions.

Are you planning on soloing or doing this as a group project? If a solo, you could probably just link to Hathi Trust as the text source without bothering to upload it to Archive.
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

When I fill out the new project template generator, what would I enter for a copywrite year? I've never come across a date like this before and all my data says 192-?

Do I enter it exactly like that?

I have the Chapman & Dodd version which someone above state was 1922 ... but even the .pdf from HT says 192-?
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

TriciaG wrote:Do you have a login at Archive? If so, go to Archive and click the "Upload" icon in the top black bar. It has been a while since I've uploaded a text to Archive, so I can't give step by step instructions.

Are you planning on soloing or doing this as a group project? If a solo, you could probably just link to Hathi Trust as the text source without bothering to upload it to Archive.
I would like to try this one solo but if anyone else would like the text I'd be happy to try uploading it or I can send the .pdf to anyone that can upload it and can't access the HT version.

ETA: I don't think I have a login at Archive, since I'm not 100% sure what that is.
Last edited by mzmolly65 on December 27th, 2016, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

mzmolly65 wrote:When I fill out the new project template generator, what would I enter for a copywrite year? I've never come across a date like this before and all my data says 192-?

Do I enter it exactly like that?

I have the Chapman & Dodd version which someone above state was 1922 ... but even the .pdf from HT says 192-?
I think that with the research conducted here, you can go ahead and put 1922 in the field.
I would like to try this one solo but if anyone else would like the text I'd be happy to try uploading it or I can send the .pdf to anyone that can upload it and can't access the HT version.
Sounds like a plan!
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

I figured out the Archive you mentioned and am uploading the .pdf now.

ETA: try this https://archive.org/details/blackmagic_201612