Lbirivoxers profile

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
raouf

Post by raouf »

After reading the forums (fora?) for a while one starts to get an idea of who the librivoxers are.
Here are some salient points:
- Avid radio listeners in particular NPR (possibly even anti TV)
- Hightened sense of humor
- Love of language
- Love of puzzles, games (in particular role-playing video games)
- Cookery as some would say
- Handcrafts (knitting, crochet, carpentery(guess) )
- Tinkering
- A sense of duty/service
- (added later) Scifi/fantasy

What do you think?
Maybe this should be a poll thread.
Last edited by raouf on February 11th, 2006, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayray

Post by kayray »

That sounds just about right. Not anti-TV here, though, just super-selective ;-) I'll bet a lot of us love old movies, too.

And, fond of books/reading aloud/being read to, of course! But maybe that goes without saying :)

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
vee

Post by vee »

Which brings up the added question, which do we prefer Librivoxer, Libriphiles, Libroxians ... any other suggestions?
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

LOL, I like the "tinkering!"

I'm sure many of us watch tv - I would, too, but I don't have the self-discipline to be selective and therefore decided it would be better not to own one. Otherwise I wouldn't be here at all, but binge-watching!

I think a lot of LibriVoxers like films, though - old and new.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
raouf

Post by raouf »

vee wrote:Which brings up the added question, which do we prefer Librivoxer, Libriphiles, Libroxians ... any other suggestions?
One also needs to query what the female version may be, one would probably not want: librivixen, libriphillies and libroxia respectively.
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

It is interesting to see what common interests we share. I'm a big puzzle person, crossword puzzles, word games, and of course the NPR Sunday Puzzle! Yup, NPR, check. But certainly not anti-TV. I got hooked on a few shows a couple years back when I was very ill and unable to read. I've stuck with those shows but I'm definitely not one to vegetate in front of the box all day.
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

heh... maybe we could require everyone to take the Myers Briggs Personality inventory ... maybe we can get grant funding for studying these characteristics .... hehe
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

raouf wrote: - Avid radio listeners in particular NPR (possibly even anti TV)
On those rare occasions when I listen to radio, I do listen to NPR. But I worked in radio for many years and simply don't find it entertaining after that experience. I hardly ever watch broadcast TV, though I do enjoy watching DVDs of old series. And I will be watching a LOT of Olympics.
raouf wrote:- Hightened sense of humor
That's a kind way of phrasing it; most would say "sick"... ;)
raouf wrote:- Love of language
Sadly only of my own native tongue... :(
raouf wrote:- Love of puzzles, games (in particular role-playing video games)
I'm an inveterate crossword puzzler!
raouf wrote:- Cookery as some would say
I can cook perfectly well. The only problem is that nobody cares to EAT what I've cooked... sigh
raouf wrote:- Handcrafts (knitting, crochet, carpentery(guess) )
No, I've never really been into any of those, though I'll spend hours playing at website design.
raouf wrote:- Tinkering
I've noticed that things tend to live a lot longer if I can manage to keep my grubby mitts out of their innards...
raouf wrote:- A sense of duty/service
Amen to that one, raouf. A lot of folks have helped me along the way and I feel an obligation to do the same for others when I can.

Some fairly interesting observations. Thanks for posting them, raouf!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

vee wrote:Which brings up the added question, which do we prefer Librivoxer, Libriphiles, Libroxians ... any other suggestions?
Considering that we cannot agree on how to pronounce ?LibriVox,? what do you suppose the chances of coming up with a name that is acceptable to all are? Especially now that the specter of political correctness has raised it?s hideous head?
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Rev. Steve wrote:Especially now that the specter of political correctness has raised it’s hideous head?
I'm afraid I have to take exception to your cruel and unwarranted characterization of political correctness as "hideous"... Image
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Interesting - and (for me anyway) pretty accurate summation!

I'm not truly anti-TV. However, my husband and I are probably one of about five households in America that doesn't have any TVs in it. But I listen to Fresh Air on a regular enough basis that I feel like I know what's hot in TV most of the time. And eventually, the library will get DVDs of all the highly-recommended shows - Peter and I have been watching the old British series "The Prisoner" over the last few years, which has been very enjoyable.
raouf wrote: - Hightened sense of humor
- Love of language
- Love of puzzles, games (in particular role-playing video games)
- Cookery as some would say
- Handcrafts (knitting, crochet, carpentery(guess) )
- Tinkering
- A sense of duty/service
Yup to pretty much everything. Not particularly a tinker though.

I also have a sense that most of the 'grown-ups' here are also well-educated.. which tends to be correlated to a lot of NPR listening in the general population.

-Catharine, who hopes she didn't offend anyone with use of the term 'grown-up' :wink:
craftmuffin

Post by craftmuffin »

I quite like Librivocalist, which I just saw used on another thread.

Jena
Izze

Post by Izze »

Avid radio listeners in particular NPR (possibly even anti TV)
I laughed at that one. My radio doesn't even work. :lol:
kri

Post by kri »

Librivocalist is great too!
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

ChipDoc wrote:
Rev. Steve wrote:Especially now that the specter of political correctness has raised it?s hideous head?
I'm afraid I have to take exception to your cruel and unwarranted characterization of political correctness as "hideous"... Image

I apologize, I should not have been sore thoughtless. Political Correctness is of course not hideous, it is of course, Beauty Deprived.