COMPLETE [OPEN POETRY]The Poetry of South Africa,Alexander Wilmot-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

The Poetry of South Africa by Alexander Wilmot (1836–1924).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-poetry-of-south-africa-by-alexander-wilmot/
Alexander Wilmot was a Cape Town politician and Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society. He is also the author of The History of the Zulu War 1859. In The Poetry of South Africa, Wilmot collects poems from various sources in the Cape Colony, Natal, and the Transvaal.

These include poems by Thomas Pringle, a Scottish writer, poet, and abolitionist, known as the Father of South African Poetry; Rev. H. H. Dugmore, an English writer and translator who was a missionary among the Xhosa; and E. B. Watermeyer who was born in South Africa and became a judge and a founding member of the Cape Legislative Assembly. Other authors include William Selwyn, A. Brodrick , C. F. Overton A. W. Cole, Stafford Cruikshanks, F. J. Ochse and H. W. Bidwell.

The poems cover a wide range of themes including the Zulu wars, African culture, faith, missionary life, travel and nature
( Larry Wilson)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52928
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Anthologies

Keywords that describe the book: diamonds, africa, zulu, missionary, lion, Boer, gold, natal, bechuanaland, transvaal, cape colony, mankoraan

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. FOR POEMS WITH FEWER THAN 800 WORDS:
    • DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
      "[poem title], by [author's name, date and place if given (found at the end of the poem, or you may need to check the Table of Contents)] read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish."
    • Then read the poem.
    • END of recording
      • At the end of the poem say:
        "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Poetry of South Africa, by Alexander Wilmot. "
  8. FOR POEMS WITH MORE THAN 800 WORDS:
    • DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      At the beginning of the recording, use this typical "LibriVox disclaimer": "Section [number] of Poetry of South Africa. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      "[poem title], read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish."
    • Then read the poem. Include the author's name at the end if given, dates and place if given
    • END of recording
      • At the end of the poem say:
        "End of Section [number].

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  9. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    poetryofsouthafrica_###_wilmot_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. poetryofsouthafrica_001_wilmot_128kb.mp3)
    • Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  10. SPECIAL NOTE: Please use this Pronunciation Guide provided for us by our DPL Kim.
    Pronunciation Guide

1s Veld kost
    2s Kosa / Amakosa
    3s Uhlanga
    4s Eland (deer)
    5s Aarend and Eckhart (names)
    7s Coetzee (name)
    8s Lucas van Vuur
    10s Slinger and Allie and Dikkop and Dougal
  11. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by silverquill on April 2nd, 2017, 10:52 am, edited 20 times in total.
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Larry,

Happy to MC this for you.

Can you have the preface reader do the regular LV intro? I like to have that on the first section of poetry projects, because as a listener, that's the only place that I hear the name of the book.

MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Larry,

Happy to MC this for you.

Can you have the preface reader do the regular LV intro? I like to have that on the first section of poetry projects, because as a listener, that's the only place that I hear the name of the book.

MaryAnn
Thrilled to have you as MC, MaryAnn! Thank you so much

Since I plan to read the preface, i can certainly do that. In doing the word counts, it turns out that there are ten section that are over 1,000 words, a couple of them near 2,500. I wonder if it might be good to have the regular intro for those longer sections. I know Jo does this on her Birds and All Nature volumes -- anything above 800 words gets the long intro. What do you think?

Also, should any of the individual authors be credited in some way other than in the reading? There are several that have quite a few poems.

I know this is an ambitious project due to its length and some African words in some places, but I'm looking forward to it.

I good DPL would be great to find!

It will take me awhile to fill in the MW, but I have time to work on it tonight.

Thanks again!
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Larry,

Yes, let's do the regular disclaimer on sections over 800 words.

If you want to credit notable authors who contributed quite a few poems, please add their names to the book summary. That will make them searchable at Archive. For published poetry anthologies, we don't credit the authors of individual poems in the catalog. On balance, the decision was to stick with the author of the book (or editor of the collection) only to avoid making the search results unusable from too many individual poems being indexed.

MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Larry,

Yes, let's do the regular disclaimer on sections over 800 words.

If you want to credit notable authors who contributed quite a few poems, please add their names to the book summary. That will make them searchable at Archive. For published poetry anthologies, we don't credit the authors of individual poems in the catalog. On balance, the decision was to stick with the author of the book (or editor of the collection) only to avoid making the search results unusable from too many individual poems being indexed.

MaryAnn
Great! Will do.

Have a very blessed Christmas! :9:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

So, I've updated the MW according to the above. I hope it came out alright. If so, I think we're ready to go.

It would be great to have a DPL.
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving to readers wanted.
MaryAnn
carteki

Post by carteki »

Thank you for doing this. What brought it to your attention?
Oh, I'll DPL.

Kim
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thought this might appeal to you! So, glad to have you aboard as DPL. And feel free to record whatever you like.

I was looking for some poetry volumes and came across this one. I have South African friends and others who have traveled in and through South Africa, an good friends who have lived nearby in Swaziland and up into Mozambique, a country I hope to visit next year.

As i read through these poems, I felt they were certainly worthy of recording and giving attention to some literature that isn't so well known in many quarters, including my own.

Thanks for your help!

By the way, if you can help with any of the pronunciation of some of the African names or words, that would be helpful.
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kim added to the MW.
MaryAnn
smellyspice

Post by smellyspice »

Can I read Section 4 - EVENING RAMBLES?

Thanks!

Rob
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

smellyspice wrote:Can I read Section 4 - EVENING RAMBLES?

Thanks!

Rob
Thank you!
~ Larry
smellyspice

Post by smellyspice »

Icaruslanding

Post by Icaruslanding »

I'd be up for second 7 - The Desolate Valley
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

This is in the MW Ready for PL