Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 3 Part 2 is ready for PL.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The forum and database (the whole website) have temporarily lost everything since September 15.
Please do not post or upload anything you don't want lost when the sysadmin retrieves the missing info from backup.
(Everything posted or uploaded on this current, missing-data version of the website will be lost.)

Hopefully all will be well and restored to what it was as of Friday morning shortly.
Lynne
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

An important message for all volunteers on this project:

As you may have noticed, our servers were reset to September 15th, 2016 because of a software failure. Unfortunately, the failure was massive - we have not succeeded in recovering any of the data since September 15th...

We have a recovery plan, and we need your help. There is a post that covers all types of projects over here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=62490

Specifically for this project, I can tell that there was activity in the forums since September 15. Can’t tell exactly what . . . but we probably have a few things to do to get this project brought current again. Here are the instructions for projects with activity since September 15th:

We are very sorry, but all files uploaded after September 15, and all changes to the database and the forum (including PL notes) have been lost and cannot be retrieved.

For BCs: If you remember any claims to your project, please enter them again into the MW.
For readers:
* If you have already completed your recording and it received a PL OK, please reupload the file again and mention in your post that it was PL OK. Make sure you upload the correct file to help your DPL!
* If your file has not received any PL notes yet, please also reupload your file and state that there were no PL notes yet.
* If there were PL notes and you remember them - please fix the file accordingly and reupload the fixed file only. Please post which fixes you have done to help your DPL.
* If you claimed a section, but have not yet recorded and/or submitted it, but intend to do so, please let me know and I will reinstate your claim before I assign it to someone else.
* If you have deleted your file, then maybe your DPL has a copy - please post in the thread and ask if she/he could upload it for you. If this is not possible, you will have to rerecord (or relinquish your claim if you don't want that).
For DPLs: If you have stored your PL notes, please post them in the thread again. If you don't have them, and you don't remember if a file was PL OK, please also post.
We want to get things fixed as soon as we can, but there is also a fair bit of work to do because our volunteers are so productive and have made a lot of progress on a lot of projects over the last 4 weeks! So, please be patient if it takes folks (me in particular) a bit to respond to any questions or do any of the tasks that are on my plate. Remember everyone - including MCs, BCs and DPLS - is a volunteer and has life outside LV.

This is frustrating for everyone, and thankfully is very rare. We just need to pick up the pieces the best we can.

Thank you.
Lynne
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Section 5 is ready for PL.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 05 - Chapter IV

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Not quite clear on which sections are still open on this project and which aren't. Is the Magic Window up to date again?

Regards,
Son of the Exiles

P.S. I could always hold an Australian dialect class if you like. :lol:

Repeat after me: "Awww, struuuth..."
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Not quite clear on which sections are still open on this project and which aren't. Is the Magic Window up to date again?

Regards,
Son of the Exiles

P.S. I could always hold an Australian dialect class if you like. :lol:

Repeat after me: "Awww, struuuth..."
I believe it is up to date - any claims made during our little 'event' 6 weeks ago have not been reclaimed, so I am assuming they are not wanted (I couldn't tell you who made them, if anyone, anyway). So... as many sections as you like are yours for the taking 8-)
DonaldH

Post by DonaldH »

I'm interested in reading chapter 1 (section 1) if it's available.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DonaldH wrote:I'm interested in reading chapter 1 (section 1) if it's available.
Thank you for claiming. It is a very long section, and please be aware in your pacing that we cannot have sections longer than about 72 minutes long.
martym

Post by martym »

Howdy!

May I have Chapter 2 please?

Marty
ATTORNEY: ALL your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
WITNESS: Oral...
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

martym wrote:Howdy!

May I have Chapter 2 please?

Marty
It's yours!
DonaldH

Post by DonaldH »

I have a question about how to read something. There's a word that seems to be omitted on line marker 11. The quote is “By luck, d—d hard luck!” How should I read this? (I would guess the word would be dead, but I could be completely wrong)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

That would be “By luck, damned hard luck!”.

Regards,
SOTE
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Great question... and something we come across maybe not often, but certainly more than occasionally!
We can often guess what the author was saying (thanks, SOTE!) but at some point, it has come up against censorship of some kind. We also see "in the year 18--" or "Lord B--".
So... you can either make a stab at the supposed omitted word or, as is more usual, just say 'blank' or 'd-blank'. I personally go for the second option, but that may just be my prudery 8-)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

The tender sensibilities of the Victorian era can be quite difficult to fathom sometimes, but they can generally be understood as having a healthy respect for the prospect of hellfire hereafter.

In other words, a reluctance to blaspheme.

Interesting, though, what was considered de trop and what wasn't.

Early Australian authors substituted "d--d" for "damned", "gory" for "bloody" (which in turn is a contractive euphemism of "by Our Lady", ie, the Virgin Mary), and "blanky" for all sorts of swearwords.

Son of the Exiles