[complete] Betty Baird by Anna Hamlin Weikel-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Betty Baird by Anna Hamlin Weikel (1864 - 1923).

https://librivox.org/betty-baird-by-anna-hamlin-weikel/
This is the first book in the Betty Baird Series of boarding school books, a genre which was popular among young girls in the early 1900s. Our heroine, Betty Baird, who is herself obsessed with reading boarding school books, is sent away to The Pines, a boarding school where at first she is ridiculed by some of the wealthier and more popular students. As time goes on, Betty silences her foes with her unique and captivating personality, and she and her new friends have many lighthearted adventures during their days at The Pines. Anna Hamlin Wikel (pen name Weikel) was herself raised by a learned clergyman, Benjamin Baird Hamlin, upon whom the character of Betty Baird's father is based. The reader is the great grand niece of the author. (Holly Jenson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/BettyBairdWeikel
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward

Keywords that describe the book: boarding school, young adult fiction

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Betty Baird. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Betty Baird, by Anna Hamlin Weikel. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Betty Baird by Anna Hamlin Weikel. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Betty Baird, by Anna Hamlin Weikel. "

There should be about 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording
  • Example filename bettybaird_##_weikel_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. bettybaird_01_weikel_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by HollyJenson on January 15th, 2017, 8:44 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

I have two questions about this:

1. This book isn't available online, so I know I have to send in a scan of the title page with the date so that the public domain status can be checked. Are there any specific instructions on how exactly I should do this?

2. Since the text isn't available online, should I mail a hard copy of the book to the proof listener? I have one ready to mail.

Thanks!
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up - back soon
OK MW made
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Now to answers
For the title page - you should just be able to upload it to my folder - call it bettybairdtitle or something simiar
If that doesn't work - it does depend a bit on the format , zip it and do it
I'll PM you re the text.

Anne
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Thanks, Anne!

It's a jpg file. I hope that's OK.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/bettybairdtitle.jpg
Holly

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Absolutely perfect - lovely clear 1906 :clap: :clap:
We are cleared for take off

Anne
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Still looking for a PL.

Yes, it's a silly book, but it'll go by fast. :D
Holly

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's usually easier to get a DPL when there is something to PL I find.

Anne
linny

Post by linny »

Holly,
I can't DPL for you but you are off to a great start. Chapter 1 is PL OK!

It sounds like a very fun book. Enjoy your solo. :clap:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

See - I told you so :D . Thanks Linny.

Anne
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Thanks, Linny!

Also, it would probably be easier to get a DPL if the book were online, which it isn't YET. I'm working on it though!
Holly

linny

Post by linny »

I'm away for the next 10 days and it will take me a couple of days to get caught up. After that I'll check on you and see what I can do to help out. Text not being online isn't really an issue. I do tend to follow along as I PL but when it isn't online I just get to kick back and enjoy. :D
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

OK, that sounds good to me! I'll try to watch myself carefully so I don't read something wrong. If you hear anything that seems off, let me know and I'll double check. :)
Holly

HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Oh, and should I remove the tilde?
Holly

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Most people don't read along - but maybe we could put the 2nd book near the n/a for text just so people would know if the wanted to listen ?

Anne