Librivox Pen Pals

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

I used the search function to look for "pen pals" and I am having a hard time believing this idea never came up before. We produce old books from ages in which the letter was a main source of human contact. Wow.

I'm wondering if anyone is interested in letter-writing to other librivox users and performers and how to go about it.

My idea is that we would gravitate toward readers and listeners of books in the themes of our own interests. (I would propose starting with what most and their pooch likes to read: L.M. Montgomery.)

We also have PM's in this forum so we would never need to share our postal address in the public version of it.

I am incredibly open to ideas for this endeavour and I hope to hear from many.

I have hordes of stationery I'm looking to use up and share: paper, pens, postage fun, you name it.

And now? I shall post this topic with crossed fingers and hope.

Daryl
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

It's an interesting idea - personally I don't think I'd have time for it. In this day and age I think people are so used to instant communication via email, Facebook, etc, that letters seem very slow.

And that's even without mentioning the difficulty of reading my handwriting... :oops:
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Oh that's okay. I've found some of the sites that go for it. There are some lewd types but the rest of us manage to dismiss them one way or another. I also found a new one that is specifically named for snail mail.

There are letter-writers out there. The attraction for us is a more human pace, especially when we have relatives who drive 13 hours to visit with us only to be addicted to their telephone games and all the rest and not actually spend time with us. :lol:

It's a little like what James Burke said in The Day The Universe Changed: "You see what your knowledge tells you you're seeing."

If one isn't seeing any letters? They probably don't exist. Similar with desktop computers. :wink:
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

I just want to add to this thread:

If any of you are interested in writing letters or finding pen pals? You don't have to post here. You can send me a private message. I'll let you know where to look. (Some of the methods are not based online.)

I've got a whole lotta leads now and things are getting rather awesome.

Hey... Why miss out? :wink:

love,

Daryl
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

It is unfathomable to me that so many of us holding on to vintage, and even ancient, texts only see high tech avenues in which to currently communicate.

As Marina Sirtis says on the “Mission Log” podcast: “The total lack of privacy now is very disturbing.”

So I offer this choice to those who are interested. Writing letters by postal mail is about as private as we can currently get. The world of one-to-one letter writing still exists. Since I’ve found my way back to it, my life has changed in remarkable ways and for the better.

http://uncustomary.org/how-to-find-penpals/

love,

Daryl

‘People say “A picture is worth a thousand words.” That is true in some cases. In other cases a word is worth a thousand pictures.’ – -Douglas Adams