Frederick Banting's Birthday

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Today, November 14 2016, is the birthday of Frederick Banting. He was a Canadian medical scientist, physician, painter, and Nobel laureate noted as the first person to use insulin on humans.
In a very ironic and life changing twist of fate, today I was diagnosed with diabetes. And hemochromatosis. Looks like I get to spend the rest of my life getting stuck and sticking my self with needles. Here in Canada, our Canadian Blood Services will take blood from hemochromatosis patients, so treatment for that will be easy. And because of our socialized medical system provides supplies for diabetes patients there will be minimal expense to me.
The only other person who knows about my diagnoses is my best friend. I think I'll keep it a secret for a while.
Except for the anonymity of a public forum!

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

After a quick check on Wikipedia ... will you have to modify your diet for the haemochromatosis, to cut down on your iron intake?

I have type 2 diabetes, which I feel is possibly linked to my drinking cider too regularly and too much in the 1970s and 1980s. I'm now overweight, so the diabetes continues, but I've recently started on Michael Mosley's 5:2 diet for weight reduction, and I'm losing about a pound a week. There's a small chance that my diabetic status might revert. I wonder if dietary modification would help your diabetes?

Take care of yourself.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Since I was only given the news yesterday the first step is more blood draws. Then an appointment at the diabetes education clinic. I'd prefer to start glucose monitoring right away. It's better to establish a base line as soon as possible. The hemochromitosis will require blood donations to control.
I've spent most of my life caring for people with chronic illness so I know the importance of keeping track of everything! It also helps that my best friend is a non practicing doctor so I'll always have some one I can call for help at a moments notice.

-Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

There was a Google Doodle yesterday to commemorate his birthday, which is also World Diabetes Day. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 9 and my two brothers are Type 1 as well. Our family has a lot to thank Dr. Banting for!