[COMPLETEGroup, Teen Adventure] The Child of the Moat, Holborn - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

The Child of the Moat by Ian Bernard Stoughton Holborn (1872 - 1935).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-child-of-the-moat-by-ian-bernard-stoughton-holborn/
Ian Holborn (professor of archaeology and a writer) was on board the <i>RMS Lusitania</i> when it was torpedoed, and as it sank he rescued a 12 year old girl named Avis Dolphin. She later complained that books for girls were not very interesting, so he decided to write one for her "as thrilling as any book written for boys!" This book is dedicated to her.<br><br>

From the Preface: This story is not written for grown-ups, and if they want to know why it begins with such a gruesome first chapter, let them ask the children. Children like the horrors first and the end all bright. Many grown-ups like the tragedy at the end. But perhaps the children are right and the grown-ups are standing on their heads. (Summary by Beth Thomas)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53281
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
      [*] Project Code: eMK93vY7

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Ian Bernard Stoughton Holborn) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Holbourn
      [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 30
      [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      [*]Original publication date (if known): 1916
      [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================ [/size]
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Child of the Moat. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Child of the Moat, by Ian Bernard Stoughton Holborn. [Chapter]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Child of the Moat, by Ian Bernard Stoughton Holborn. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    childofthemoat_##_holborn_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. childofthemoat_01_holborn_128kb.mp3)
  • Don't worry about ID3 V2 tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
[/list]
Last edited by Elizabby on August 26th, 2017, 5:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

So glad you picked this up. Once everything is set up, I'll take a chapter or two!
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I'll set this up when I get home later today! :)

ETA:
Done :thumbs: Please holler if you need anything
Kathrine
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Beth,
May I kick this off with chapter 1, Hate?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I like to read the first chapter of my own projects, but can I interest you in chapter 2?
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Beth,
No problem. There is a lot of dialog in section 2 and I'm having trouble with my voice so I don't think that will work for me. I'll read more of the story and be back later if I can find a chapter suitable to my current limitations.

How about 28, the last adventure? There isn't much dialog there. I understand if you would rather I didn't. I'm not permitted to do voices, yet. Well, actually, probably never again.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Chapter 28 sounds great! I'll put you in as soon as I fill in the MW - later tonight as I'm at work today.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

MW is all filled in, first two claims are noted! We are open for business! ;)
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Hmmm...this is a really interesting story, can I take Chapter 2: Secrets? I wish I could do more, but I'm not sure I would be able to do it right away since the chapters are a bit long. I'll do this one, and if there are others open after, I'll take a few more.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

That's how I do it too! I'll put you in for chapter 2 for now. :thumbs:
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Quick question, are you pronouncing her name (Aline) A-lean which is more English or Ah-lean, which is more French? I know she's Scottish, but she's also a noblewoman...so I was wondering if you're leaning (no pun intended), one way or another.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I would say it "Ay-lean" but it doesn't matter if it isn't 100% consistent.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Let's move to Readers Wanted: Books to keep the Launch Pad tidy :)
Kathrine
linny

Post by linny »

Chapter 28: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/childofthemoat_28_holborn_128kb.mp3 20:41
Happy to make any changes. CC comments welcomed. :thumbs:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Linny! That's the first chapter of this book recorded! Just the one PL note:

@6:42 the word "feverishly" (referring to being in a "fever" of haste) isn't clear.

Everything else was beautifully read! I haven't PLed for you before, but your reading is lovely and clear and your pace is excellent! :9: