COMPLETE After Dark by Wilkie Collins -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

After Dark by Wilkie Collins (1824 - 1889).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: http://librivox.org/after-dark-by-wilkie-collins/
William Kerby is in danger of losing his sight, which would hit him especially hard as he is a painter. Only rest can preserve it, but a man must eat, and so he and his wife Leah look for other ways to generate a small income. Having travelled a good deal and having heard all kinds of stories on those journeys, William dictates six short stories to his wife, hoping that publishing a book might tide them over.. ( Carolin)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1626
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of After Dark. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "After Dark, by Wilkie Collins. [Chapter title as in the magic window]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of After Dark, by Wilkie Collins. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      afterdark_##_collins_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. afterdark_01_collins_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

AFTER DARK.

part 1
please read until
after having had the day made pleasant by kind words and friendly offices, to feel this one anxious thought always forcing itself on us at night: Shall we have the means of stopping in our new home in a month’s time?

part 2
please start at
3d.—A rainy day; the children difficult to manage; William miserably despondent. Perhaps he influenced me, or perhaps I felt my little troubles with the children more than usual:

THE TRAVELER’S STORY OF A TERRIBLY STRANGE BED.

part 1
please read until
satisfied that I had taken every proper precaution, pulled off my upper clothing, put my light, which was a dim one, on the hearth among a feathery litter of wood-ashes, and got into bed, with the handkerchief full of money under my pillow.

part 2
please start at
I soon felt not only that I could not go to sleep, but that I could not even close my eyes. I was wide awake, and in a high fever.

THE LAWYER’S STORY OF A STOLEN LETTER.

part 1
please read until
Those were the only preparations I could make to begin with; being obliged to wait, and let myself be guided by what turned up.

part 2
please start at
About a quarter to seven my gentleman came.

THE FRENCH GOVERNESS’S STORY OF SISTER ROSE.

Part First Chapter I

part 1
please read until
Lomaque’s lips opened, then closed again; he bowed uneasily, and his sallow complexion whitened for a moment.

part 2
please start at
Trudaine led the way in silence back to the house; the land-steward following slowly at a distance of several paces, and talking in whispers to himself.

Part Second Chapter III

part 1
please read until
She did speak. Silvery and pure the sweet voice, sweeter than ever in sadness, stole its way through the gross sounds—through the coarse humming and the hissing whispers.

part 2
please start at
“My lord the president,” began the poor girl firmly. Her next words were drowned in a volley of hisses from the women.

Part Third Chapter I

part 1
please read until
“All?” asked Trudaine. He looked searchingly, almost suspiciously, at Lomaque, as he put the question. “All?” he repeated. “Yours is a short story, indeed, my good friend! Perhaps you have forgotten some of it?”

part 2
please start at
Again Lomaque fidgeted and hesitated. “Is it not a little hard on an old man to be always asking questions of him, and never answering one of his inquiries in return?”

THE ANGLER’S STORY of THE LADY OF GLENWITH GRANGE.

part 1
please read until
Nothing, in short, could be more straightforward and satisfactory than the baron’s behavior, and the testimonies to his worth and integrity which the news of the approaching marriage produced from his relatives and his friends.

part 2
please start at
The only joyless face at the Grange now was Ida’s. At any time it would have been a hard trial to her to resign that first and foremost place which she had held since childhood in her sister’s heart, as she knew she must resign it when Rosamond married.

THE NUN’S STORY OF GABRIEL’S MARRIAGE

Chapter IV

part 1
please read until
-until suddenly he felt a hand laid on his shoulder. That touch, slight as it was, ran through him instantly. He looked up, and saw Father Paul standing by his side.

part 2
please start at
Beckoning him to follow, and signing to the congregation not to suspend their devotions, he led Gabriel out of the assembly—then paused for a moment, reflecting—then beckoning him again, took him into the cabin of the ship, and closed the door carefully.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

with heart and science almost complete, this is the next wilkie collins book i was planning to coordinate. quite a different think compared to heart and science but still fun i hope :)

all readers and a dpl are welcome! :thumbs:
Carolin
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I'd like to DPL, please :)
Kathrine
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you Kathrine :clap:
Carolin
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read sections 1-2-3?

Thanks, Todd
dg73

Post by dg73 »

I'd like to read sections 5 and 6?

Thanks.
Dan Gurzynski
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you both!
Carolin
acousticwave

Post by acousticwave »

May I claim Section 4?

Angela
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you!
Carolin
dg73

Post by dg73 »

Just finished and posted 5 and 6;

Section 5
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/afterdark_05_collins_128kb.mp3
18:43

Section 6
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/afterdark_06_collins_128kb.mp3
28:31

Good story

Post by dg73 »

Dan Gurzynski
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you!
Carolin
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

I'd like to claim sections 26 and 27 if I may.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin