Server breakdown - how to fix it [we need your help!]

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Why, thank you Kim!

Yes indeed, only 5 projects are waiting to be recatalogued, and as far as I can see all but one are our weekly/fortnightly poetry, and all of them are only waiting for some newbie readers to register again, so they can be entered into the database properly. :clap:

But, let me return the big hand with an even bigger thank YOU to all of our volunteers, who have helped fixing this by

- restarting almost all of the projects that were lost in the crash (less than 10 waiting to be recreated) :clap: :clap:
- reuploading countless files to practically each and every single project we have open right now :clap: :clap: :clap:
- and especially: re-PLing numerous others! An extra big THANK YOU to all the DPLs who had to do extra work :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is the great thing about this community: no matter where we live, no matter what language we speak, no matter what interests we have; in short: no matter how different we are - when push comes to shove, everybody is pulling together to get things going again.
It amazes me every time again - you are fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Having said this:
- If you're still having problems with anything, if you find something missing, please let us know. Some things do slip through the cracks sometimes...
- And if you're a newbie who has registered just before the crash: Please don't forget to register again, big problems like this happen only rarely, promised! (And let me assure you: it was certainly not your fault :wink:)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
J_N

Post by J_N »

OT:
Availle wrote:(And let me assure you: it was certainly not your fault :wink:)
Ok, that made me chuckle... imagine signing up to Librivox and the second you hit send, all hell breaks loose. :shock: Encouraging :lol:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

That is EXACTLY the way I felt the first time I tried to catalog a completed project. The Internet will go dark if I get this wrong. I had to have multiple messages of assurance from very patient admins walking me through the process before I was willing to actually press the button and start uploading the files to Archive. I never would have recovered if anything had actually happened, whether obviously related to my actions of not.

Thanks, Todd
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

It looks like a huge amount of projects are back to normal - great job everyone! :thumbs:

I have one small problem - a reader on one of my projects registered after September 15, and while she's able to post on the forum, I can't add her to the catalogue because every time I try it tells me she doesn't exist :roll: Could someone help? Her username is rlangley and I think she wanted her catalogue name to be Rebecca Langley. :)

Thanks!

- - - - -
Let me take a look.

David O
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

It worked for me when I tried: https://librivox.org/reader/11248

I had a similar problem when my brother's account disappeared from the catalog. I don't know how I got it fixed, though. (Edit, sorry I didn't see David's post. Please forgive me if I messed something up. :oops: )
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

SweetPea wrote:It looks like a huge amount of projects are back to normal - great job everyone! :thumbs:

I have one small problem - a reader on one of my projects registered after September 15, and while she's able to post on the forum, I can't add her to the catalogue because every time I try it tells me she doesn't exist :roll: Could someone help? Her username is rlangley and I think she wanted her catalogue name to be Rebecca Langley. :)

Thanks!

- - - - -
Let me take a look.

David O
Your should be able to add her to your project now. Here is her reader catalog page ->> https://librivox.org/reader/11248

David O
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Kangaroo692 wrote:It worked for me when I tried: https://librivox.org/reader/11248

I had a similar problem when my brother's account disappeared from the catalog. I don't know how I got it fixed, though. (Edit, sorry I didn't see David's post. Please forgive me if I messed something up. :oops: )
You didn't; Thanks for confirming that is works now.
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thanks a lot, David :)
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello!
I chose chapter XVII to Madame de Gouffier to read. It has not been pl ed.
I do have it, though I have manged to confuse myself and have given it a different name.(The crash was when this happened.) I posted it to a different page and had a lady mention that though she did listen to it, she is sure that it is not the chapter 17 for her project that she is pl ing. She is correct.
What should I do now? Please send me your answer when you have a moment.
Thank you,
Adr6090
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

adr6090 wrote:Hello!
I chose chapter XVII to Madame de Gouffier to read. It has not been pl ed.
I do have it, though I have manged to confuse myself and have given it a different name.(The crash was when this happened.) I posted it to a different page and had a lady mention that though she did listen to it, she is sure that it is not the chapter 17 for her project that she is pl ing. She is correct.
What should I do now? Please send me your answer when you have a moment.
Thank you,
Adr6090
The intro of your recording should say the title of the book it came from. Use that to find the project. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

The letter came from "selected letters of St.Jane Frances de Chantal" Is it possible for me to change the name and upload it for a check?
adr6090
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

I did get the link to that book from Sweetpea so now I do have it. It will probably be something that I will get posted to this page next week. It will take a bit of time for me to make the file correct with the correct intro and not the incorrect one that I had. Please know that I will do as I have said. :lol:
Thank you very much,
April
jrmrtn

Post by jrmrtn »

Hi everyone—I was sorry to hear about the crash, and thanks to everyone who's been working to fix things. I have a quick question about a project, which has probably been answered further up in this thread but I'm having trouble figuring the situation out exactly. There was a solo project that I'd started up in April, I think (A Voice from Harper's Ferry, by Osborne Perry Anderson), but then I'd been away for a while and I had actually done most of the uploading in September. I was almost finished, and I still have the files on my computer, so that shouldn't be a problem. My question is: the whole topic seems to have disappeared. (Not just the files.) I got an email on October 16 alerting me to a new reply, but I can't access it. So should I assume that this happened because of the crash, and is it my responsibility to start a new topic from scratch?

Again, sorry if this is very obvious or redundant, and thanks for all your help.
JR
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The crash had nothing to do with it. I abandoned the project since I had not heard from you since back in April. I cannot remember having seen any file uploads; and since our DPL is rather diligent as well...

I'll move the thread to "Going Solo" again, you will have to reupload all the files again and post them in the MW including their runtimes. Please post in the thread as well when your're done.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
jrmrtn

Post by jrmrtn »

OK, I'm sorry, I really don't know what happened there. I had uploaded most of the files and the DPL had gone through them and commented on each one.
JR