COMPLETE The Black Dwarf by Sir Walter Scott -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
tbragg

Post by tbragg »

The Black Dwarf by Sir Walter Scott (1771 - 1832).

This is an abandoned solo, brought back as a group project. Carolin is acting as BC.

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-black-dwarf-by-sir-walter-scott/
The Black Dwarf is the first of the “Tales of My Landlord” series, which also includes The Bride of Lammermoor and The Heart of Midlothian. The third preliminary chapter depicts two horsemen arriving at the Wallace Inn in Gandercleugh, where one of the horsemen relates the tale. The story proper is set on the Scottish borders during the reign of Queen Anne. The Jacobite movement is in its infancy, but the inhabitants of this part of the country have enough to quarrel about without politics inciting them to it. Several families of high and low birth bear no good intentions to each other, and a weird, brooding dwarf, who wishes ill on all of humanity, seems to direct and perpetuate the mayhem from his lonely cottage on Mucklestane Moor. (tbragg)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1460
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Black Dwarf. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Black Dwarf by Sir Walter Scott. [Chapter]"

Note: The magic window is sort of confusing because the chapters and the section numbers are off by one. Please make sure you do not mix the two numbers up!
      You need the section number in the file name, but the Chapter number in the recording!

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Black Dwarf by Sir Walter Scott."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      blackdwarf_##_scott_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. blackdwarf_01_scott_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by tbragg on October 22nd, 2016, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ah, another Lit Prof with a thing for English literature... Have you met the other Tom just yet? https://librivox.org/reader/6249

Anyway, I'll walk you through your first solo. It's a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the idea, it's easy and fun to do. Back in a moment with the mw...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, looks good, well done!

Congratulations, you just graduated to BC - where you are allowed to take charge of your own Magic Window. You will need to create a new password (login stays the same) so you can fill in the details into your Magic Window. Here is a "how-to":
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Let me know if you have any problems.

I have noticed that there are two introductions to this book? We can then change the numbering so that it starts with 01, but it's not important and up to you.
I would also appreciate it if you could write your own summary for various reasons: We link to wikipedia anyway, their stuff is not PD, and as a listener I'd like to know what YOU found so interesting about the book that you absolutely had to record it :wink: We do have time with this until cataloging though, so there's no rush.

Other than that, let's stay here for a few days to see if we can find a DPL. Have fun!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
tbragg

Post by tbragg »

Thanks, Ava. Can you translate BC and DPL for me?

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

BC - book coordinator, responsible for managing the readers and the Magic Window (MW). In a solo, that would be you :wink:
DPL - Dedicated Proof Listener, the first (but hopefully not only) person to listen to your recordings and give feedback, hopefully many PL OKs!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well done with the Magic Window! :thumbs:

You can already start recording and uploading. There's no need to wait until we have a prooflistener. Some people like to see a bit of action before they commit to PLing...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Wonderful - exactly what I was looking for: A great and experienced DPL for this project!

I'll put you in, thanks Dave! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

0 PL OK.

Good start.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Great - moving to going solo.

Tom,
I would prefer if you could post regularly in the thread. Nothing big needed, just so that I know something is going on. I don't get a notification if something is uploaded to my folder or if the Magic Window is changed. I only get a notification with a post in the thread - and I need to know when we're finished after all :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
tbragg

Post by tbragg »

Thanks Dave and Ava! I will try to make regular comments as I get stuff done.

Tom
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Tom,
Posting a note to this thread and changing the MW to "Ready for PL" provides two different ways for me to realize there is a file needing to be PL'd. Thanks.
Dave
tbragg

Post by tbragg »

Literary/technical question: The Project Gutenberg text actually switches the two Introductions around. Many old editions of Scott commit this careless error. The second Intro is Scott's own, from the 1831 edition of his collected works. The first Intro is "in character"; the fictional Jedidiah Cleishbotham here sets up the main story.

The text makes best sense with Scott's introduction coming first and Jedidiah's second. Can we so arrange them? Or must we adhere to the strict order of the Gutenberg text, even though it's wrong?

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

What you say makes sense, however I'd still prefer to adhere to the text.

We put a link to the text onto the catalog page, and people who read along may get confused if the first file starts somewhere in the middle of the book / the intros. And some of them may start writing complaint emails about this - let's keep those to an absolute minimum for the sake of the admin handling them. :wink:

You could add a short mention of the switched intros to the summary of course - there's nothing keeping people from listening to them in the appropriate order. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
tbragg

Post by tbragg »

I have just uploaded my recording of section 2.

Tom