Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
SonOfTheExiles
Posts: 1065
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 1:14 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by SonOfTheExiles » November 8th, 2015, 12:28 am

I can remember being in Fiji as a self-conscious teenager in the early 1980s and deliberately muting my Australian accent to the extent that some girls from the other side of the ocean asked me why I was trying to sound like an American. After that, I let my normal accent rip. And I'm glad that I did.

If there's one lesson in life, it's to be yourself. If you don't, who will?


SOTE
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
_________________
My LV catalogue page
Son of the Exiles YouTube Channel

RossKlatte
Posts: 353
Joined: February 3rd, 2016, 12:29 pm
Location: Roebuck, South Carolina

Post by RossKlatte » February 18th, 2016, 1:53 pm

I should like to post my accent, but I don't really know what it is.
Ii would be good if someone would listen to it and identify it.
Then, if it's highly complimentary, I will post it in the database.
I'm not on the big board yet; but you can hear me on WIP Short Works-Horace-Odes 18, 19, 20, 22, 32.

RossKlatte

gypsygirl
Posts: 8665
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » February 19th, 2016, 6:46 am

RossKlatte wrote:I should like to post my accent, but I don't really know what it is.
Ii would be good if someone would listen to it and identify it.
Then, if it's highly complimentary, I will post it in the database.
I'm not on the big board yet; but you can hear me on WIP Short Works-Horace-Odes 18, 19, 20, 22, 32.

RossKlatte
I'd probably put it in the General American camp.
Karen S.

RossKlatte
Posts: 353
Joined: February 3rd, 2016, 12:29 pm
Location: Roebuck, South Carolina

Post by RossKlatte » February 19th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Thank you, gypsygirl

RossKlatte
Posts: 353
Joined: February 3rd, 2016, 12:29 pm
Location: Roebuck, South Carolina

Post by RossKlatte » February 20th, 2016, 10:16 am

Book me, please

|-
| RossKlatte (Ross Klatte)
| South Carolina
| General American
| Father Chicago, Mother Wisconsin, lived in Carolina for many decades; Okay with names in most European languages, Japanese, and Chinese (if correctly romanized, either PY or WG--tones optional)
| SAMPLE https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/odes_21_horace_128kb.mp3

gypsygirl
Posts: 8665
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » February 20th, 2016, 2:47 pm

RossKlatte wrote:Book me, please

|-
| RossKlatte (Ross Klatte)
| South Carolina
| General American
| Father Chicago, Mother Wisconsin, lived in Carolina for many decades; Okay with names in most European languages, Japanese, and Chinese (if correctly romanized, either PY or WG--tones optional)
| SAMPLE https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/odes_21_horace_128kb.mp3
OK, I've added you, minus the sample. If you would, drop me a PM once the project has been cataloged, and I'll add the sample with the archive.org url, because the uploader link will go away after cataloging.
Karen S.


gypsygirl
Posts: 8665
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » May 6th, 2016, 8:14 am

Karen S.

Anfinwen
Posts: 43
Joined: May 20th, 2013, 10:39 am
Location: Indiana, US

Post by Anfinwen » October 22nd, 2016, 2:30 pm

Can you please put me in the table?

Anfinwen (Anfinwen)
Indiana, US
American, Mid-west
I have family in Minnesota and Kentucky, but I was born and raised in Indiana so my accent is pretty neutral. When I visit family in another state or am around people with an accent I start to mimic them unintentionally. I'm able to do other accents as long as I can find a recording to listen to and mimic.

Thanks in advance!
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage. Otherwise you are making their destiny not brighter but darker."
-C.S. Lewis

gypsygirl
Posts: 8665
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » October 23rd, 2016, 4:44 am

Anfinwen wrote:Can you please put me in the table?

Anfinwen (Anfinwen)
Indiana, US
American, Mid-west
I have family in Minnesota and Kentucky, but I was born and raised in Indiana so my accent is pretty neutral. When I visit family in another state or am around people with an accent I start to mimic them unintentionally. I'm able to do other accents as long as I can find a recording to listen to and mimic.

Thanks in advance!
Will do.
Karen S.

Lizzyerd85
Posts: 27
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:30 am

Post by Lizzyerd85 » March 15th, 2017, 9:06 am

I just saw this....

I'd like to add myself but I wouldn't know exactly I've been told :

You have a strange accent

and

You don't have any accent at all.


But I really think, it's mostly what I would consider a 'soft' southern. (( Of course if I visit home - NC - and start reading it'd be a lot strong)).....

Maybe just generalized american. Is that a thing? ;-)

Anyways: Born in Georgia
Grew up half way in Florida ( near the gulf coast )
and Grew up the rest of the way in North Carolina ( central ).
And been back in Florida for 8 years now, so I never had a strong NC accent but it's there every once in awhile.

And like I mentioned earlier, and someone else mentioned in an earlier post: If I'm around people with strong accents ( Broklyn, Southern, Western (texas), even British) I find myself talking like them.

gypsygirl
Posts: 8665
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » March 16th, 2017, 4:29 am

Lizzyerd85 wrote:I just saw this....

I'd like to add myself but I wouldn't know exactly I've been told :

You have a strange accent

and

You don't have any accent at all.


But I really think, it's mostly what I would consider a 'soft' southern. (( Of course if I visit home - NC - and start reading it'd be a lot strong)).....

Maybe just generalized american. Is that a thing? ;-)

Anyways: Born in Georgia
Grew up half way in Florida ( near the gulf coast )
and Grew up the rest of the way in North Carolina ( central ).
And been back in Florida for 8 years now, so I never had a strong NC accent but it's there every once in awhile.

And like I mentioned earlier, and someone else mentioned in an earlier post: If I'm around people with strong accents ( Broklyn, Southern, Western (texas), even British) I find myself talking like them.
This is the info we put in the table. Can you fill in as much as you can, please? Link is the url of your catalog page; I can find that easily enough if you don't know it. Sample is a link to something you've recorded for LV. For accent you can put Gen Am, and then your explanation (if you'd like) under Other Info. For location, make it as detailed or as vague as you're comfortable with.

Code: Select all

|-
| LINK (NAME)
| STATE, COUNTRY, REGION, ETC.  (entries are ordered by this field)
| ACCENT
| OTHER INFO
| SAMPLE
Karen S.

RajVO
Posts: 278
Joined: January 24th, 2018, 12:25 am
Location: California, USA

Post by RajVO » March 5th, 2018, 11:44 pm

You may add my info to the table. :)
| LINK (NAME): Raj (RajVO on LibriVox)
| STATE, COUNTRY, REGION, ETC.: California, USA, SoCal (Inland Empire)
| ACCENT : Indian, Indo American
| OTHER INFO : Have acting and dubbing experience. Now focusing more on Voice acting and Voice overs.
| SAMPLE(S) : (from some projects in progress)
1. Dramatic - https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amulet_07_babylonianking_128kb.mp3
2. Poetic - https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/friend_shorter_raj_128kb.mp3
3. Book - https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/goldengemsoflife_019_allen_128kb.mp3
Thanks.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.

RajVO
Posts: 278
Joined: January 24th, 2018, 12:25 am
Location: California, USA

Post by RajVO » March 5th, 2018, 11:51 pm

RajVO wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 11:44 pm
You may add my info to the table. :)
| LINK (NAME): Raj (RajVO on LibriVox)
| STATE, COUNTRY, REGION, ETC.: California, USA, SoCal (Inland Empire)
| ACCENT : Indian, Indo American
| OTHER INFO : I have film acting and dubbing experience. Now focusing more on Voice acting and Voice overs. Languages known are English, Telugu, Hindi, and little Spanish.
| SAMPLE(S) : (from some projects in progress)
1. Dramatic - https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/amulet_07_babylonianking_128kb.mp3
2. Poetic - https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/friend_shorter_raj_128kb.mp3
3. Book - https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/goldengemsoflife_019_allen_128kb.mp3
Thanks.
Please notice the languages added. Thanks again.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 29178
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » March 6th, 2018, 1:22 am

Hi
This goes into a wiki page - you can't use uploader links - well you can but as soon as the project is catalogued the uploader folders are emptied and so it will return a "file not found" . Thus you need to wait till you have something catalogued

Anne
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.

Post Reply