[Complete] Catherine de Medici by Honore de Balzac (English)-lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Catherine De' Medici by Honoré de Balzac (1799 - 1850). Translated by Katherine Prescott Wormeley (1830 - 1908)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/catherine-de-medici-by-honore-de-balzac/

The Philosophical Studies from The Human Comedy (La Comedie Humaine) are a series of works that are intended as a reflection on history in part through the use of fiction. 'Catherine de Medici' is one such 'study', and features, alongside detailed history (and even architectural) sections, elements of the 'story' are fictionalised. In particular, this happens through dialogue that describes the feelings of the characters and what they are doing, these parts in the manner of a novel. In particular, Catherine de Medici (apparently), was depicted by historians as a bad ruler. This book is an attempt to redress that misunderstanding. Catherine de Medici is shown as one of the most powerful rulers of her day, using the intricacies of court to enact measures to improve the situation of her peoples and herself. (Summary by Reader)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1854/1854-h/1854-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Honoré de Balzac) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honoré_de_Balzac
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sur_Catherine_de_Médicis
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 26
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1842
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction; *Non-fiction/History /Early Modern

Keywords that describe the book: Spain, renaissance, early modern, medici, philosophical study

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Catherine De' Medici. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Catherine De' Medici, by Honoré de Balzac. Translated by Katherine Prescott Wormeley (1830 - 1908) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Catherine De' Medici by Honoré de Balzac. Translated by Katherine Prescott Wormeley (1830 - 1908) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Catherine De' Medici, by Honoré de Balzac. Translated by Katherine Prescott Wormeley (1830 - 1908)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename catherinedemedici_##_balzac_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. catherinedemedici_01_balzac_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Honoré de Balzac
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Catherine De' Medici

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by Ligeti_Grieg on October 31st, 2016, 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I couldn't find this on the catalogue. I am not really interested in repeating efforts. I believe it is there in the French under a different name. Obviously, I will be most precise with my target finish date of February 31st.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can MC for you. Back in a few minutes with the MW.

Edit: All set.
Do you need to add a tilde (~) to attract a DPL?
Also, you have it listed as both fiction and non-fiction. Would it be best listed as a biography?
Let me know if you need anything else.
Lynne
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I don't know what a 'tilde' is.

It's a fictional take on fact. The introduction seems a legitimate history. The rest is 'novelised history'. It's probably about as historical as Thucidides, probably more so than Homer. It's main purpose seems to be to restore the reputation of Catherine de Medici.

So, really, I would put it in both genres.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

The introduction is officially becoming WAY too long. I'm heading way over the eighty minute mark now. I'm going to split it into two parts. I would thus suggest not having a 'Part 0', because then there would be a 'Part 0a' and a 'Part 0b' and simply calling the Introduction 'Section 1' and 'Section 2'. This would require two extra sections to be added. Which option do you prefer: an 85 minute section, 0a/0b, or Section 1/Section 2'?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote:I don't know what a 'tilde' is.

It's a fictional take on fact. The introduction seems a legitimate history. The rest is 'novelised history'. It's probably about as historical as Thucidides, probably more so than Homer. It's main purpose seems to be to restore the reputation of Catherine de Medici.

So, really, I would put it in both genres.
A tilde is ~
It is the Librivox way of saying we need a proof listener :D . I'll add it for you - but don't worry if we don't get one straight away.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote:The introduction is officially becoming WAY too long. I'm heading way over the eighty minute mark now. I'm going to split it into two parts. I would thus suggest not having a 'Part 0', because then there would be a 'Part 0a' and a 'Part 0b' and simply calling the Introduction 'Section 1' and 'Section 2'. This would require two extra sections to be added. Which option do you prefer: an 85 minute section, 0a/0b, or Section 1/Section 2'?
You're right 80 minutes is too long - technically, we can't go over about 72 minutes.
Split it however you wish and you can either just start with sections 0 and 00 or do 1-27 - your choice. It is easy for you to add sections yourself - if you open up the Magic Window, there is a tab that says "add section". It automatically adds it to the bottom, but you can drag it to wherever you want.. Don't worry about deleting sections - I can do that easily enough.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Can I change the introduction? I can't figure out how to do it here. Now I've started the book, I can give it a better summary. This book is buried under its Comedie Humane compatriots and deserves its own light. I found it cited as an example of female power in the Renaissance, and that within itself is worthy of note.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote:Can I change the introduction? I can't figure out how to do it here. Now I've started the book, I can give it a better summary. This book is buried under its Comedie Humane compatriots and deserves its own light. I found it cited as an example of female power in the Renaissance, and that within itself is worthy of note.
At the top of the first post, on the right, there is an "edit" button. You can edit anything in the first post there, right up until the time of cataloguing. Just be sure to let the MC (in this case, me) know (and you have done) so they know to copy and paste the new introduction into the catalogued page, otherwise the original introduction is added automatically. Be sure to submit your changes at the bottom.

If you have chapters recorded, you can add them to the Magic Window and we can advertise for a DPL as a "work in progress".
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Done and done.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I have posted in the Listeners Wanted forum, so hopefully someone will come along to listen soon.
I have also deleted the superfluous introduction.

Please pay attention to file names - be sure to add the _128kb_ and use only lower case letters. Thank you.
Lynne
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Files renamed, uploaded and a seventh added.
TaylorMarieF

Post by TaylorMarieF »

Hello there! I would like to PL sections 4, 5, and 6!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

TaylorMarieF wrote:Hello there! I would like to PL sections 4, 5, and 6!
Hi Taylor
I'm sure the soloist would be happy to have you proof listen those sections. Before you do so, please be sure to check the proof listening guidelines here, if you haven't already done so, http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners then post any comments here in the thread.
Lynne
DaniloMarin001

Post by DaniloMarin001 »

Hello! I would like to do sections 1,2, and 3. Thank you!