[COMPLETE] Memoirs etc of Caroline Herschel - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

Memoir and Correspondence of Caroline Herschel by Mrs John Herschel .

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/memoir-correspondence-caroline-herschel-by-margaret-herschel/

For many people, the name Caroline Herschel will be unfamiliar, but she was one of the most significant women on the English scientific scene during the late 18th and early 19th century. Sister of the well known William Herschel (he of the discovery of Uranus and its moons and many other significant scientific discoveries), she first worked as his assistant in his astronimical works, and then went on to become a noted astronomer in her own right. She discovered eight new comets in her lifetime, and was the first woman to be paid for her contribution to science, and was awarded a Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society, made an Honorary Member of the Royal Astronomical Society, an Honorary Member of the Royal Irish Academy of Science and was presented with a Gold Medal for Science by the King of Prussia on her 96th birthday. This book tells the fascinating story of her life through her letters, and commentary by her nephew's wife. Caroline Herschel was an important woman whose contributions to science should be more widely known. ( Kevin Green)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52923
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Science/Astronomy, Physics & Mechanics; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs
    Keywords that describe the book: women, 18th Century, astronomy, 19th century, scientists
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Memoir and Correspondence of Caroline Herschel. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Memoir and Correspondence of Caroline Herschel, by Mrs John Herschel. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Memoir and Correspondence of Caroline Herschel by Mrs John Herschel. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Memoir and Correspondence of Caroline Herschel, by Mrs John Herschel. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename memoirandcorrespondence_##_herschel_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. memoirandcorrespondence_01_herschel_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle - availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it. - Terry Pratchett
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
Checking in as DPL again. :)

Betty
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

Hi Betty
Excellent! Here we go again :)
Kevin
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it. - Terry Pratchett
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, we're back!
I'm not sure what we did exactly to the file names...? Just change them as you see fit, it doesn't matter very much, except that shorter is better.

Enjoy - again :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

OK, here we go Betty. I've put the introduction back as PL OK, and chapter 1, part 1 as Ready for PL, as I was just about to upload it before the crash happened.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/carolineherschel_01_herschel_128kb.mp3

time 18:28

Kevin
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
Chapter 1 is PL OK!

Betty
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

Hot on its heels comes the next part :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/carolineherschel_02_herschel_128kb.mp3

time 28:32

I obviously got the timing split a bit wrong in this chapter - 18 mins and 28 mins. Forgot that tiny print takes longer to read than normal sized print! :lol:

Missed out one abbreviation as I didn't know what it meant or how it fitted in -- last para -- " &c., &c., Mem:" I just read it as etcetera, etcetera. Tried looking it up in my dictionaries, but couldn't find that construction in either my Oxford or Chambers, or anything online.
Kevin
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
Section 2 is PL OK!

Reading that phrase as etcetera etcetera is fine. I'd probably read it that way too.

Betty
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

Thanks Betty. Before I go any further, what do you think of my voice characterization for Caroline? Do you think it works ok? If not, now is a good time to change before I do too much more.
Kevin
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I think how you read her words is very effective. Makes a little contrast between Caroline's words and the author of the book. :clap: Keep doing it that way. :)

Betty
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

OK, thanks, will do :)
Kevin
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

boojumuk wrote:Chapter 2 part 1 ready

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/carolineherschel_03_herschel_128kb.mp3

time 28:25

Kevin

This file is PL OK! What a self sacrificing woman, she's almost too good, if you know what I mean.

Betty
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »

Yes, I know what you mean, but I guess that was what you did in those days. I forgot to mention that the 'metal' she refers to casting is in fact the molten glass. It's a name they used in the trade (I used to work in a glass company)
Kevin
boojumuk

Post by boojumuk »