Some Books that Aren't in the Public Domain (and why)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Nope, it can't be recorded because anybody can do anything with LibriVox recordings, including sell them. :wink:
If you want you can make your own audiobook and upload it to Archive (assuming that you comply with the license that the author gave you) but it's not OK for LibriVox.
apannone

Post by apannone »

Hi,

I've read information about copyright issues. But could someone confirm that all original untransilated latin/greek classical work written by authors such as Cicero, Virgil, Ovid is in the public domain, since it is way pass 70 years after their deaths?

Thank you,

alina
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

All original untranslated, unedited works by really old authors would be public domain in the US, because they were published before 1923. :)

If you're in Europe or Canada, or Australia, or basically everywhere else except the USA, they're out of copyright for you (in your country) because they died a long, long time ago. 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
apannone

Post by apannone »

Got it, thx!
jgord51

Post by jgord51 »

Is 'The Godfather' by Mario Puzo available in the public domain?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No
If you google it it was published in 1969 and at the moment only books published before 1923 are PD in the USA

Anne
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hey I want to know if i can read this book : Peter Pan y Wendy from this source
https://es.wikisource.org/wiki/Peter_Pan_y_Wendy
and if not why Creative Commons 3.0 is not a valid source
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

My Spanish is not good enough to check the site but the problem with creative commons 3 is that to use it you must attribute it to the maker.
We can do that but we can't release it as PD - because we have no control over what others do with it. And all our readings are released into the PD.
That's a general response , not for this in particular - you'll need a Spanish speaker .

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

phileasfogg wrote:Hey I want to know if i can read this book : Peter Pan y Wendy from this source
https://es.wikisource.org/wiki/Peter_Pan_y_Wendy
and if not why Creative Commons 3.0 is not a valid source
I don't see where it has the publication date to determine if it's automatically PD. (Sometimes the CC license is for the html formatting of the text, not for the text itself.) Without that, we'll have to fall back on the CC license. To clarify a little what Anne said, this one is shared with the "Licencia Creative Commons Atribución-CompartirIgual 3.0;" - We attribute, but we do not Share Like (we don't put the same license on our derivative work). Therefore we cannot use it. :(
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Thanks a lot Tricia it is clear for me, anyway I´ll keep insisting on find new sources to read those books(It´s like a sport for me to find PD books translated to spanish)... or maybe I´d stop to see Sherlock´s episodes because they inspire me these unworthy searches. Anyway i ask you , i ´ve learned the first spanish translation of Peter Pan and Wendy´s was on 1925 and the first one of Alice´s adventure was on 1927 which is 2 years and 4 years respectively more of the deadline of 1923, when will it be on PD? in 2 years and 4 years from this current 2016r? or is not valid that count? I hope you understand my tarzanlike english
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The way US copyright law is now, books published in or after 1923 become PD on January 1 after the 95th year of their publication. So Peter and Wendy: 1925+95=2020, so it'll be PD on January 1, 2021 (IF this translation is the 1927 one). A book published in 1927 will be PD on January 1, 2023.
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

thanks again Tricia you are very kind.
kaitlin

Post by kaitlin »

Only three more years to wait until I can hopefully narrate Emily of New Moon!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Or you could go and live in Canada, Australi or the EU and record it for Legamus :D

Anne
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Can we use PG Australia ebooks for our recordings, if the ebook was clearly published before 1923?