Server breakdown - how to fix it [we need your help!]

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Yes please do wait a little.

Project recreation will take time.

If the project is already in readers wanted, you may have to go there and reclaim your sections again.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Whew!

Well, we will dig out of this hole. So much will fall on the admins.

I do have files of all of my LV recordings ever, and also of those I have PL'd, and a master sheet of my claims. The only thing I don't save are PL notes posted and received, so that will be a challenge, but it is only a few.

Ever onward!
~ Larry
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Well a big thank you to all the hard work that the admins will have to put in to get us back to where we were. Thank you for keeping us up to date with everything that is happening and how to proceed with getting us back to where we need to be. :thumbs:
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

I'll post this here, but also in other threads I've worked in: if anyone needs me to re-upload any of my mp3s, I do have them all backed up here on my computer.

Sorry this happened though!! :(
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

You might check the MWs in your projects. If there is no link, then you will need to upload your files again. Please be sure to tell the BC the PL Status (if you remember). And if you don't see your name for a section you know you read, then you'll need to let the BC know to reenter your claim as well.

M.A.
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Sorry to pester you with questions, but - do you mean if there's a link in the MW, and I click it and it plays, it's ok?
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Yes. :D
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Thank you!
Also, please let me know if you need any help with putting things back together. :-)
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

I have begun to re-upload recorded and PL-ed files that were lost. On the project entitled "Curiosities of Literature, Volume 1" by Isaac Disraeli I received the following error on the four files I attempted to re-upload:

SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

I previously had claimed Sections 23, 69, 82 & 92.

Thanks!

Greg
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It may have happened that you got logged out of the uploader, possibly because of inactivity. Could you please login and try again?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Hello, I am Eunah.
First of all, a big thank you to all the people who tirelessly worked to restore the LV server. I am so relieved to hear that all the audio files we have uploaded so farare there safely at archive.org.
However, if you don't mind, I would like to ask a couple of questions and give you a few suggestions.
1. Has EVERY forum post on all the LV message boards been lost? Are we able to restore the forum posts, including, most recently (as far as I can remember) a disclaimer about third-party audiobook apps using our LV recordings and political advertising intentionally placed on those recordings by the app developers? I am convinced that although it will take a lot of time and energy from the LV admins, we should, at the very least, restore the forum post about the relationship between LV, third-party audiobook app developers and political advertising inserted by them. Please tell me if we can restore all the forum posts on every LV subforum after September 15, 2016.
2. Has EVERY blog post on the LV main site also been lost due to this server breakdown? Then, I think we should fully restore the LV blog post about the political ads inserted in LV recordings by third-party app developers. You would ask why I am so obssessed with restoring the LV forum post or the main LV blog entry about the political ads in recordings, but I am really worried about a future cyber-attack on LV server by angry listeners who got upset with political ads which the LV has no relationship with. Who knows?
3. I am neither a lawyer nor a cybersecurity expert, but if I may, let me have my say. I think in terms of dissociating the LV community from third-party app makers or any low-quality derivative works, political ads or any other form of bad behavior done by those people, we should follow the example of the website sacred-texts.com, an etext library specializing in digitizing and preserving books about religion, mythology and folklore. The sacred-texts.com website was founded and run by the late John B. Hare, who has passed away on April 5, 2010. Unfortunately, there has been no new etext posted on the site since Mr. Hare's death. The part of the site I would like the LV admins to pay attention is the page entitled "about sacred-texts". You can follow the link below to have a look at that page:
http://sacred-texts.com/about.htm
When you read the page, you can clearly see Mr. Hare repeatedly stating that the views expressed here on the site are those of the specific authors, and they are not endorsed by the site owner or the ISP hosting the site. He additionally states that the etexts are not sanctioned by any particular religious group or institution. When I first read this disclaimer on sacred-texts.com back in 2009, I thought it was no big deal, but now, after reading the blog post and the messages related to political ads inserted by those who has nothing to do with the LV community, and going through the server breakdown, I am truly concerned about a security breach or denial of service attack that may be committed by crackers or people "who strongly disagrees with" the political viewpoints that the app makers are promoting through ads, as Laurie Anne put it in one of the forum announcements.
When the LV server was in the process of restoration, I asked myself, "Maybe someone who got angry about political ads on one of the audiobook apps decided to crack our server? What if they stole all of our forum login information?" and was really scared. Please, please consider putting some kind of disclaimer on the LV website and if you can, put that disclaimer in the form of a footer so that it can be visible on every LV web page, just like the footer image entitled "Public Domain License" that you can see on every LV catalog page and the main LV page. And in my opinion, it would be a good idea to post an LV forum announcement disclaiming liability about product commercials or political ads in LV recordings placed by third-parties, and then lock the post and make it appear on LV "Suggestions, Comments, News & Discussion" and "Need Help? Got Advice?" subforums. And adding a note about this issue in one of the LV wiki pages would be a good thing, I guess.
4. I wonder, exactly why did this server break down? Did it have any relationship with vengeful emails the admins have gotten from listeners? I ask the admins to be more specific and transparent regarding why this happened and why the server got reverted back to a particular date, namely, September 15, 2016. And please tell me if we can restore the LV blog entries and forum posts dated after September 15, 2016.
Thank you for reading my message. I sincerely hope this kind of thing NEVER, EVER happens again.
Thanks again to all those who got involved in the server restoration.
Eunah Choi
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Another question.
What about the thread for the Short Poetry Collection for October 2016? And what about the topic thread for the Weekly Poetry project for the week of October 10th through October 16th? Can those threads be restored?
And aradlaw, do you plan to launch a new Fortnightly poetry project next week? I tried to find a fortnightly poetry project that have been launched this week, but even after sifting through all the topics on the Readers Wanted: Short Works, Poetry & Prose subforum, nowhere could I find any fortnightly project being created.
Thanks in advance.
Eunah Choi
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

HI Eunah!

let me quickly answer your questions:

1) Yes, all the forum posts since September 15 have been lost and cannot be recovered. I'm very sorry about this. Every project started after September 15 will have to be recreated from scratch, including weekly poetry etc.

2) Yes, the blog posts on the homepage posted after September 15 have also been lost and cannot be recovered directly. However, I have a (handwritten) copy of my staff picks post for October, and I will repost it a bit later. Maybe the admin who posted about the the 3rd party apps is able to recreate and repost her message as well. I will mention this in the admin forum.

4) The crash was not due to any kind of outside attack, it was a simple (?) failure of a type of software that we use to keep librivox online and working (yes, I see the irony of this :roll: ). We will try to make sure that this does not happen again.

As for the appdeveloper: We have contacted the one in question and he in turn has contacted his advertiser to exclude political advertisements in the future. This is all we can do about it, I'm afraid.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW »

I had completed my part for "The Phoenix and the Carpet," which has now disappeared. Will it be back up soon so that I can re-upload my parts?
Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That will depend entirely on how fast the BC will launch the project again. Maybe Elizabby is waiting for the first rush to be over. Please be patient.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com