SEE NEW THREAD (was: Warning! Don't post anything...)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Update Oct 15, 3:00 pm Eastern Time: we're not able to recover the lost data. :( See this new thread for instructions on how to proceed from here: viewtopic.php?t=62490

-----------

The forum and database (the whole website) have lost everything since September 15.
Please do not post or upload anything you don't want lost when the sysadmin retrieves the missing info.
(Everything posted or uploaded on this current, missing-data version of the website will be lost.)

The sysadmin has been notified, but since this isn't his full-time job, we do not know when he'll fix the site.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

Always save Everything, so no worries here.......hopefully it will be back up soon.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

For emergencies like this there needs to be a mechanism which allows anybody to be locked out but admins. And if somebody needs something urgent communicated, they should PM an admin. Don't we have a way to lock everything up?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Tovarisch,
Let's hope it stays with these very rare occasions of glitches, and we won't need a backup system like that! The last time this happened was quite a while ago.
Anna
zwergwolf

Post by zwergwolf »

Hi Anna, thanks :)
Now I understand why I got notified about a new post in a topic where the last actual post is from September :idea:
Hopefully everyone reads this before posting... Hope it'll be fixed soon
Gaby

Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again - C.S. Lewis -
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Oh no! Well, that explains the question I was about to post!

I do have backups of all my audios, but let's hope it doesn't come to that! 8-)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I saw this thread only because it was posted on one of the projects I'm working on That was AFTER I had already posted some DPL stuff on another one.. Not a big deal, but I just didn't see any alerts or anything, so this information seems NOT to be getting out. Of course I knew the system had crashed earlier. Then when I saw the Sept. 15 date on everything - oh, no!

I too have backups of everything I have ever recorded for LV.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

I have a question more out of curiosity than anything else. Do we have any idea regarding the significance of September 15? Is that a particularly important date or do we think it was just a random system failure? Perhaps it is too soon to tell.

Thanks!

Greg
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

silverquill wrote:I saw this thread only because it was posted on one of the projects I'm working on That was AFTER I had already posted some DPL stuff on another one.. Not a big deal, but I just didn't see any alerts or anything, so this information seems NOT to be getting out. Of course I knew the system had crashed earlier. Then when I saw the Sept. 15 date on everything - oh, no!
I'd love it if we could somehow have a message pop up to everyone logging in - not a PM that could be obsolete before someone logs in, but just something that shows up when anyone logs in. I don't think that's possible, though. :(
GregGiordano wrote:I have a question more out of curiosity than anything else. Do we have any idea regarding the significance of September 15? Is that a particularly important date or do we think it was just a random system failure? Perhaps it is too soon to tell.
I'm assuming it's the date of the last synchronization with the second, backup system. The tech guy may be able to tell us more. We haven't heard from him yet.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I'm sure the files are not lost...it is probably just the database that got corrupt and doesn't know where to find them.

Right?

RIGHT?! :evil:
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

TriciaG wrote:
silverquill wrote:I saw this thread only because it was posted on one of the projects I'm working on That was AFTER I had already posted some DPL stuff on another one.. Not a big deal, but I just didn't see any alerts or anything, so this information seems NOT to be getting out. Of course I knew the system had crashed earlier. Then when I saw the Sept. 15 date on everything - oh, no!
I'd love it if we could somehow have a message pop up to everyone logging in - not a PM that could be obsolete before someone logs in, but just something that shows up when anyone logs in. I don't think that's possible, though. :(
GregGiordano wrote:I have a question more out of curiosity than anything else. Do we have any idea regarding the significance of September 15? Is that a particularly important date or do we think it was just a random system failure? Perhaps it is too soon to tell.
I'm assuming it's the date of the last synchronization with the second, backup system. The tech guy may be able to tell us more. We haven't heard from him yet.
Thanks, Larry. That sounds like as good an explanation as anything at this point.

Take care,

Greg
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

"Surely you can't be serious!"

"I am serious, and my name isn't Shirley."
:lol:
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

TriciaG wrote:"Surely you can't be serious!"

"I am serious, and my name isn't Shirley."
:lol:
:clap: :thumbs: :lol:
kayray

Post by kayray »

FYI -- all inactive forum accounts and at least some ACTIVE accounts that were created after Sept 15 have been lost. Fingers crossed that the database comes back soon...
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

When I get a PL, I trash my mp3. :D

Yes, I do. I don't know why. It's a thing.

I read because I enjoy it, and now I can enjoy it again but better.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."