[Speeches]The Columbian Orator, by Caleb Bingham - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

GROUP: The Columbian Orator, by Caleb Bingham (1757 - 1817).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-columbian-orator-by-caleb-bingham-by-caleb-bingham/
The Columbian Orator, a collection of political essays, poems, and dialogues first published in 1797, was widely used in American schoolrooms in the first quarter of the 19th century to teach reading and speaking. Typical of many readers of that period, the anthology included many speeches celebrating "republican virtues" and promoting patriotism. The Columbian Orator is an example of progymnasmata, containing examples for students to copy and imitate. In his Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, former slave and abolitionist writer Douglass describes how he "got hold" of a copy of the Columbian Orator at the age of twelve, with far-reaching consequences for his life. ( Wikipedia)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/columbianoratorc00bing
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage; *Non-fiction/Writing & Linguistics; *Non-fiction/Literary Collections/Short non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: speeches, oration

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Columbian Orator, by Caleb Bingham. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Columbian Orator, by Caleb Bingham. [Section]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Columbian Orator, by Caleb Bingham"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
    9. Example filename
      columbianorator_##_bingham_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. columbianorator_01_bingham_128kb.mp3)
    10. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Caleb Bingham
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Columbian Orator

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Thanks for getting this started!

As soon as the MW is up, I'd like to claim Lines Spoken by a Little Boy, Everett, pg 57. (section 13)

And, On the Works of Creation and Providence, Hervey, pg 171 (section 48)

And, General Description of America, a poem, Everett, pg 237 (section 62)

And, The Last Day, Everett, pg 254 (section 67)
Last edited by Monaxi on August 11th, 2016, 11:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

Peace be with you,
Sister
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

I can MC this for you.

MW is set up and tested.

ID Tags are now added by our software during the catalog process, you can delete that section from the first post if you desire.

You could combine the Preface and Introduction into one section at the beginning since the Preface is so short. This would make the first speech section #1.

I would recommend we wait a couple of days in the Launch Pad in hopes of a DPL spotting this one. We can move over to Readers Wanted: Books sooner since the Launch Pad is large if you prefer.

David O
progressingamerica

Thanks David.

I filled in all of the lines corresponding to each section, I hope I did not miss any.

I also assigned the sections to those who have requested so far.

I'll wait until the move to the readers wanted section.
TheNeobro

Post by TheNeobro »

I would like to claim:

Sections 0-2

First time recorder - TheNeobro
personal site - https://soundcloud.com/evan-carroll-2
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

We have been launching long enough, time to move to Reader's Wanted.
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

David, if we don't get a dpl, may we volunteer to pl a few sections. For instance, I plan to upload at least four sections, perhaps I could in turn pl the same number of sections for others.

And, thanks for MCing this!

Peace be with you,
Sister
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Monaxi wrote:David, if we don't get a dpl, may we volunteer to pl a few sections. For instance, I plan to upload at least four sections, perhaps I could in turn pl the same number of sections for others.

That sounds like a good option until a DPL appears, but it is up to the BC to decide not the MC.
progressingamerica

Monaxi wrote:David, if we don't get a dpl, may we volunteer to pl a few sections. For instance, I plan to upload at least four sections, perhaps I could in turn pl the same number of sections for others.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Now that this has been moved to the readers wanted section, there should hopefully be more who will help record the sections. It would be great to not have PL languish and build up.

Thanks!
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

I'm wondering if we could call this "Speeches/drama/essays" or some such thing to let people know about the variety of texts here.

For the drama and dialogue sections, one person might read them with different voices, or gather friends around the mic to read parts. If we're still working on this in the fall, which I imagine we will be, I might try this with a few students.

Peace be with you,
Sister
progressingamerica

Monaxi wrote:For the drama and dialogue sections, one person might read them with different voices, or gather friends around the mic to read parts. If we're still working on this in the fall, which I imagine we will be, I might try this with a few students.
It would be much easier to have everybody together at the time and make one recording, but there's also the possibility (I think?) of two people uploading their respective files, and another person merges the audio to make it sound correct per the dialog.
caotico

Post by caotico »

I'd like to do sections 5, 12, and 13
caotico

Post by caotico »

and 78, please.
progressingamerica

All requested sections assigned.
progressingamerica