[Complete]Charlotte Mason Vol. 1 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rachelrw

Post by rachelrw »

Lynnet wrote: All excellent questions, but first RELAX!!!
For many things, there is no right or wrong; there may be a standard practice but sometimes it's down to the reader, or up to the Book coordinator if he/she wants to stipulate for consistency.

As for attributed quotes, yes, you say "quote... End quote" - unless you start to feel as if that's all you're saying and it's annoying (both to you and any potential listener) - a judgement call.

If there's no attribution, but maybe just something everybody say, just read it as is, without the quotes.

For lists, it's usual to read the numbers first, but if you don't, it doesn't matter too much ch.

A couple of other things that may crop up in non-fiction works:
Graphs: these are usually discussed in the text, so you can either skip over it, or say "there follows a graph showing..." But it's not your job to interpret the graph.

Tables:there's a lot of discussion about how to read tables . I would probably follow the guideline for graphs, but some people say you should read everything in the table. I'd say it's a case by case decision and you can decide yourself, or ask the BC.

Offensive language: yes, sometimes we come across offensive language, which perhaps wasn't offensive at the time it was written. This should be read as written unless the text says, for example, n- or d-, which it often does. We do not censor. If you come across something you're not comfortable reading, then we suggest you relinquish your claim to that section. You wouldn't be the first and someone else may be ok reading it.

I addressed footnotes in response to an earlier question

The biggest rule is THIS IS FUN 8-) so relax and enjoy!
Ok thanks for your answers. I'm good... I didn't mean to seem stressed! :) And I don't think there will be any objectionable words in any book by this author, so we're good there! :)
aaronml

Post by aaronml »

Hislovismighty, can you please get back to me on your catalog name? You're the only one I need one for. Thanks! (If you do not get back to me within two weeks, I will have to make your sections available for other volunteers. Thank you)
Aaron
PurposefulAbnegation

Post by PurposefulAbnegation »

dawnduran wrote:I've uploaded my 1-Minute test. It can be found here:
http://uploads.librivox.org/tests/Librivox_1_minute_test-_DDuran.mp3
Dawn,

A couple things:
  • If you post the link in the listeners wanted section viewforum.php?f=21 you will get more experienced help.
  • Your file name should be test_[your name in lowercase]
  • I don't know what you are using, which when you post over in listeners wanted you should add that so that they can give more specified help. (i.e. I use Audacity to edit on a Windows computer using a USB mic.)
  • Your mp3 should be saved in mono not stereo.
  • Your volume is a little low. The acceptable range is 86–92 dB and yours is 75.2 dB.
It was good to hear your voice!
"You have to have a strong will to give it up [to God]." ~ Mother Alexandra ~ former Princess Ileana of Romania
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." ~ Albert Einstein
TammyGlaser

Post by TammyGlaser »

I would like to claim 65 please!
aaronml

Post by aaronml »

PurposefulAbnegation wrote:
dawnduran wrote:I've uploaded my 1-Minute test. It can be found here:
http://uploads.librivox.org/tests/Librivox_1_minute_test-_DDuran.mp3
Dawn,

A couple things:
  • If you post the link in the listeners wanted section viewforum.php?f=21 you will get more experienced help.
  • Your file name should be test_[your name in lowercase]
  • I don't know what you are using, which when you post over in listeners wanted you should add that so that they can give more specified help. (i.e. I use Audacity to edit on a Windows computer using a USB mic.)
  • Your mp3 should be saved in mono not stereo.
  • Your volume is a little low. The acceptable range is 86–92 dB and yours is 75.2 dB.
It was good to hear your voice!
Oh yes thank you PurposefulAbnegation. I forgot to mention that you do need to post your test in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum. Thanks!
Aaron
aaronml

Post by aaronml »

TammyGlaser wrote:I would like to claim 65 please!
That would be wonderful! Thank you TammyGlaser! I'll reserve your sections right away! But first, you need to complete a one minute test to make sure your tech specs are OK. Here are the instructions. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test When you're done please post a link to your test in the listeners wanted forum. I also need to know what you would like your catalog name to be. That's the part where you say "[Chapter Name] read by..." It can be your real name, your forum name, your nickname, or something completely different. Just know that it can't be changed because that's what gets read into the audio. I can also link you to a personal website or blog.
Aaron
marybethingrace

Post by marybethingrace »

I just submitted Take 2 of my 1 min test to the listeners forum.
They wanted me to tweak a couple things, but I believe I was already OK-ed

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_marybethingrace.mp3

Am I good to go, or do I need to wait for further approval? I didn't hear anything back from this forum about my first test.
Thanks
Mary Beth
aaronml

Post by aaronml »

marybethingrace wrote:I just submitted Take 2 of my 1 min test to the listeners forum.
They wanted me to tweak a couple things, but I believe I was already OK-ed

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_marybethingrace.mp3

Am I good to go, or do I need to wait for further approval? I didn't hear anything back from this forum about my first test.
Thanks
Mary Beth
I just looked and it says your OKed! As long as you continue to apply the tweaks to your future recordings, you should be good to go! Have fun recording! :thumbs:
Aaron
HisloveisMighty

Post by HisloveisMighty »

aaronml wrote:Hislovismighty, can you please get back to me on your catalog name? You're the only one I need one for. Thanks! (If you do not get back to me within two weeks, I will have to make your sections available for other volunteers. Thank you)
Hi aaronml! I will get that to you asap. Trying to determine whether I should post my name or not. :)
aaronml

Post by aaronml »

HisloveisMighty wrote:
aaronml wrote:Hislovismighty, can you please get back to me on your catalog name? You're the only one I need one for. Thanks! (If you do not get back to me within two weeks, I will have to make your sections available for other volunteers. Thank you)
Hi aaronml! I will get that to you asap. Trying to determine whether I should post my name or not. :)
OK. :D
Aaron
SamiBrandon

Post by SamiBrandon »

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/test_samibrandon.mp3

Sorry this took me so long. I hope I'm getting it all figured out now! :)
aaronml

Post by aaronml »

SamiBrandon wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/test_samibrandon.mp3

Thank you. However you need to post your test in the listeners and editors wanted forum, not here. You also need to upload it under "tests" and not Lynnet. If you scroll all the way down in the dropdown MC selection menu when you upload the test, you'll see the "tests" section. I hope that makes sense. Thank you, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Aaron
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

aaronml wrote:
SamiBrandon wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/test_samibrandon.mp3

Thank you. However you need to post your test in the listeners and editors wanted forum, not here. You also need to upload it under "tests" and not Lynnet. If you scroll all the way down in the dropdown MC selection menu when you upload the test, you'll see the "tests" section. I hope that makes sense. Thank you, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Now it's in my folder, it can stay there. Any admin can access it - it's just that I will have to clean the tests out of my folder at some point, whereas someone routinely deletes them from the tests folder :D
HisloveisMighty

Post by HisloveisMighty »

Did most everyone use their real name for the catalog?
PurposefulAbnegation

Post by PurposefulAbnegation »

I didn't. My uncle gives all his nieces and nephews nicknames at birth and I used that.
"You have to have a strong will to give it up [to God]." ~ Mother Alexandra ~ former Princess Ileana of Romania
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." ~ Albert Einstein