COMPLETE - Wanted: A Pedigree by Martha Finley-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roohi

Post by Roohi »

Ok thanks
linny

Post by linny »

roohi,
19 spot check PL ok. For some reason your volume this time was too low at 85.8. I was doing my PL this morning with Audacity so I increased the volume for you and uploaded while I PLed 20.

20 is PL ok. It is however at the low end of the acceptable volume at 86.1dB. You are not required to change it. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of it.
Roohi

Post by Roohi »

Ok I'll put the file through MP3 gain in future
linny

Post by linny »

Roohi,
Chapter 18 spot check is PL ok.

Did you put these through MP3Gain? 21 is coming in too loud at 92.1dB.
0:30 background ding in "the weather [ding] was excessively warm"
11:23 repeat "sobs"
Roohi

Post by Roohi »

Ok
Roohi

Post by Roohi »

linny

Post by linny »

21 spot check PL ok

Volume on 23 and 24 is good. I haven't PLed them yet.
linny

Post by linny »

Chapter 23 is PL ok

PL notes for chapter 24
Has a couple of spots of clipping. If you are using Audacity View>Show clipping. This setting will show red lines for all places where clipping is so you may slightly decrease the volume on them. 4:00, 5:20, 9:45, 10:48.

4:05 snap "trembling with fright"
10:38 Oh, papa, did you call me?
Read as mama
11:54 repeat "six"
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

If the overall volume is fine, then I personally wouldn't bother editing to reduce the volume on the bits where there is clipping. Once the wave form has clipped, lowering the volume won't "undo" the clipping.

It is important to know if you are clipping and setting up Audacity to "Show Clipping" is really helpful in that regard. I tend to get clipping where a character says "wow!" (or some such) Knowing that this happens to me, I have become more aware as I read exclamations to try to avoid clipping in the first place. Having those red lines show up in the recording is a good check to make sure I haven't gotten too excited in particular bits. If you have a lot of red lines, then that may indicate the need to reduce the input volume a bit and then amplify afterwards (maybe in conjunction with leveler or compressor to even out the high bits).

MaryAnn
linny

Post by linny »

MaryAnn, Thank you for this note. I thought any clipping was a problem at cataloging. Excellent news!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Linny,

Clipping doesn't cause any problem when cataloging, but if a reader has a lot of clipping, it starts to distort their voice. So, not a technical issue, but could be a sound quality issue.

I can do minor volume adjustments when I catalog - so if the file is a too loud, I can bring it down to 89. If the file is too soft and you can't amplify without clipping, then I don't think my cataloging tool will work to bring up the volume . . . I am not sure, but I have the sense that the cataloging tool will only increase volume to the point you get clipping, then it stops. So I may not be able to get a low volume file amplified all the way to 89 using the cataloging tool. And any adjustment I apply is across the entire file, so it may not be the best solution if a bit in the middle is noticeably quieter than the rest of the track.

Not all MC's adjust volume during cataloging, and I don't always adjust it. I usually look for a track that is way out of line with its surroundings before I start adjusting what the readers have submitted. Personally, I try to do all my own volume adjustments before I submit the files because I like to see what's going on in Audacity. When I adjust volume during cataloging, I'm totally blind - all I see is the volume reading for the file before and after, with no idea of what that adjustment actually did to the wave forms in the file.

MaryAnn
Roohi

Post by Roohi »

Good tip MaryAnn I'll try to void clipping in future.
Roohi