Any books in Tamil language

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
subhashsings

Post by subhashsings »

Hi Carolin,

Was just wondering whether you have any books in Tamil language so that I can do one of that too. Pls let me know if there is a link or contact person for that as well.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Subhash
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

We have this book in Tamil! http://librivox.org/tiruppavai-by-andal/
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i think subhash was looking for texts to record, right?

i dont know where best to look for books in tamil, and of course i cant read it myself, but if you find a book which has been published in 1922 or earlier, you can record it. check with us here before getting started just to make sure :)
Carolin
linny

Post by linny »

Subhash,
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but maybe this will help.
https://archive.org/details/openreadingroom?and%5B%5D=subject%3A%22public+domain%22&sort=&page=2
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's a great page, but unless there is a date somewhere we might have difficulty finding out if we could host them in the USA :( . it is always the problem with Archive - they rely on the person posting to say if it is PD.

Anne
subhashsings

Post by subhashsings »

Hello Linny,

I just clicked the link..... WOW how many books. As all of you might be knowing, Tamil is one of the world's oldest language!

Some are like poetry.... quite difficult to read.

However, I would like to know whether I can select one of the books and read. Can I do like that? There are restrictions isn't it like Anne has just mentioned?

I shall go through the books and let you know what I would like to do as a solo. I have some audiobooks in hand to be completed as well.

Thanks, Linny and Anne.

Best Regards,
Subhash
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

subhashsings wrote:However, I would like to know whether I can select one of the books and read. Can I do like that? There are restrictions isn't it like Anne has just mentioned?
hi subhash, make sure you choose a book that was published in 1922 or earlier. best post your selection in this thread so that we can help you find out if the book is in the public domain or not :thumbs:
Carolin
subhashsings

Post by subhashsings »

Hi Carolin,

Is this Tamil book OK to be read, please?

https://archive.org/details/Sonnargal

Quite interesting book by Suradha which talks about what those leaders / rules / greats have said... so thought of reading it after you confirm.

Book was printed in 1977...

Thanks. :clap:
Subhash
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi subhash,

im sorry, but books must be in the public domain in the usa. that means that a book must be published in 1922 or earlier.

can you find a book from 1922 or before?
Carolin
subhashsings

Post by subhashsings »

Hi Carolin,

Thanks for your note. Will revert back sooooon.

Best Regards,
Subhash
subhashsings

Post by subhashsings »

Hello Linny,

Thank you for the links. Some of the old at ill poem r quite difficult. I shall go through and do the needful.

Thank you once again, Linny.

Regards
Subhash
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

There is an abandoned Tamil project in Librivox which you could check out:

[TAMIL/ENGLISH] Thirukkural by Thiruvalluvar (Translated by G. U. Pope) (abandoned January 2012)
Text: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3452399/The-Sacred-Kural-by-RevGUPope
Project thread: viewtopic.php?t=24152
Total # of sections: 26
Sections completed: 1 (Needs PL)
File location: ~/uploads/abandoned/thirukkural

(if it doesn't open, maybe you could ask one of the admin to shift it back to the forum?)
Anusha - My LV page, and Some of My Music!
subhashsings

Post by subhashsings »

Hi Anushar,

Thank you for the link of the abandoned Tamil work. It is quite long and it is a little difficult to. There is 1330 Kurals (2 line poems) under 133 sections. We have been reading a few of these during my school days. It is very exhaustive. The English translation also does not exactly depict the contents of the poems which are in Tamil.

I will look for some other book. Any nice short books, children stories, prose of that sort, please do let me know.

Thank you, Anushar.

Best Regards,
Subhash
sidhu177

Post by sidhu177 »

I've been wanting to put the Thirukural for a long time in Libri, the biggest block is to find just the list of kurals with the english translation and transliteration and What I don't like about the U G Pope's version is the english translation, its in victorian english and very antiquated. It would be great to do just the tamil reading and then in simplified tamil and then english translation. This web link has it ThiruKural but the problem is to find a digital copy of a book before 1923 that would fit the format of the gokulnath link. The scribd copy can work and we don't have to do all the kurals, I've BCed many works with huge volume into smaller Libri versions, so volume is not a problem. I was even thinking of making just the first hundred of the kurals for some time but the MCs won't agree to a digital source, even if the original work is >2000 yrs old. But it will be great to see this work on the catalog page
Of my own bliss I'll pay the price,And be myself my sacrifice.