[COMPLETE] The Fourth Dimension - Hinton - RuthieG

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'll be racing along at a snail's pace!

There's never any rush, linny; I'd have been prepared to read the lot before any got PL'd.

Thank you both.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

linny,

I've uploaded the edited section 4. It would have taken too much effort to clean those few paragraphs, so I re-recorded the first two minutes (to "the texture of Plato's dialectic" at the top of page 24). The other two edits are still close to the time stamps you gave.

Thank you,

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Peter,
Thank you for telling me about the extended change in the front. It so much better than having to guess what was done.

All changes are PL ok.

Good luck this weekend experimenting with the H2. I like mine. I'm fortunate to have a walk in closet where I can record and have great luck with keeping the background noise level down.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

linny,

I didn't touch the H2! ... I had unexpected visitors.

Here's section 5. Two points:

1 There are a couple of diagrams at the bottom of page 33. The second has two labels, A1 and B1. This is described at about 4.09. From the text that I've given below (and from similar labels in other mathematical texts), I think these should be read as "A prime" and "B prime".
At 6.53 the author refers back to these diagrams: "Thus A and B' would be identified." I'm completely unable to match this to the diagrams and his reasoning. If I had understood exactly what he was trying to say, I might have argued that there is a typo here, but, without that, I've left it as it is.

2 Generally when he's used long sentences, I've tried to make his meaning clear with emphasis and tone changes. There's a sentence about half way down page 36 (at about 10.02), starting with "The conceptions of one method of investigation are not those of another; ...." that I really don't understand. I've had to guess what he's trying to say. If you can offer any suggestions, I'll be happy to re-record.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on February 17th, 2017, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linny

Post by linny »

Peter Why wrote:1 There are a couple of diagrams at the bottom of page 33. The second has two labels, A1 and B1. This is described at about 4.09. From the text that I've given below (and from similar labels in other mathematical texts), I think these should be read as "A prime" and "B prime".
At 6.53 the author refers back to these diagrams: "Thus A and B' would be identified." I'm completely unable to match this to the diagrams and his reasoning. If I had understood exactly what he was trying to say, I might have argued that there is a typo here, but, without that, I've left it as it is.
I think I understand the correlation and frankly that worries me because this is beyond me. I married an EE, he's the math/science guy. This is most definitely not my field but I'll try.
Similarly our idea of a solid thing is an abstraction, for in our idea there is not the four-dimensional thickness which is necessary, however slight, to give reality. The argument would then run, as a shadow is to a solid object, so is the solid object to the reality. Thus A and B' would be identified. A=real things e.g., the sun. B'=the appearance in the mind as witness/equality.
Therefore the image of the sun is to the physical sun, so to is the physical sun to the image. This correlation supports the next paragraph.
In the allegory which I have already alluded to, Plato in almost as many words shows forth the relation between existence in a superficies and in solid space. And he uses this relation to point to the conditions of a higher
being.
In comparing the two, Plato's superficies is B' and solid space is A.
Peter Why wrote:2 Generally when he's used long sentences, I've tried to make his meaning clear with emphasis and tone changes. There's a sentence abouit half way down page 36 (at about 10.02), starting with "The conceptions of one method of investigation are not those of another; ...." that I really don't understand. I've had to guess what he's trying to say. If you can offer any suggestions, I'll be happy to re-record.
so Aristotle, in discussing the philosophy of Greece as he found it, asks, above all other things : " Does this represent the world ? In this system is there an adequate presentation of what is ? "
The conceptions of one method of investigation are not those of another ; and our divergence lies in our exclusive attention to the conceptions useful in one way of apprehending nature; rather than in any possibility we find in our theories, of giving a view of the whole transcending that of Aristotle.
You added a comma between whole and transcending which could be eliminated. The two additional pauses I concur with.

To me this sentence is saying that Aristotle takes the position of the necessity of holistic philosophy, whereas other studies have shown most concepts do not hold up to this investigation but rather may be applied or found as unnecessary for a particular field.

If I've made a bigger mess of all this for you well, that will teach you to try and make me think. Just pat me on the head and I'll go sit quietly in the corner. :wink:
linny

Post by linny »

Section 5 - PL notes
0:16 Missing the actual chapter title "The First Chapter in the History of Four Space".

Content itself is word perfect! Well done! :clap:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you very much, linny; it helps to know that at least *someone* understands what he's saying!

He's not the most comprehensible of writers.

I've added the chapter title and trimmed the slight pause, as you suggested. Section 5 edited and re-uploaded.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Section 5 is PL ok
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny,

Section 6 uploaded. Section 7 (and probaby 8) will be delayed, as there are a lot of diagrams.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Peter,
The momentum from the anniversary push is ongoing so I likely won't get to this until at least tomorrow. I know you said no rush but I wanted to post so you can be assured I know it's ready for me.
Be well,
Linette
linny

Post by linny »

1:59 Appointed rector of his University, he died at an advanced age, surrounded by friends, honoured, with the results of his beneficent activity all around him.
Read: by his friends
2:32 Johann Bolyai de Bolyai was born in Klausenburg, a town in Transylvania, December 15th, 1802.
Read as December the 15th
5:00 " He begged of me, anxious not without a reason, to hold myself aloof and to shun all investigation on this subject, if I did not wish to live all my life in vain."
Read as investigations
5:31 Temesvar, November 3rd, 1823.
Read as November the 3rd
9:48 Editing marker before "he and Galois" (I click too :) )
10:54 Editing marker before "he passed his life"
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Linette,
I must have got distracted part way through my editing, to have missed my clicks! I've re-recorded the preceding phrase (separated by pauses) in each case.

I've corrected and re-uploaded the section. I left the two errors involving dates (at 2.32 and 5.31) unchanged, as they make no difference to the meaning (and, in fact, the dates fall better on my ears this way). I'll try to read similar dates according to the text in future.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Peter,
That was fast! Spot check PL ok.

I like the date with "the" better too.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I've re-uploaded section 7, which linny has PL'd as okay:

Section 7 Ch 5 part 2 PDF page 60-68 Text page 46-54 (to "His rod to him alters as little as ours does to us.")

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm sorry about the delay; I've been recording the phoenix in the DR of The Phoenix and the Carpet. I'll get going on the next section within the next day or so.
Peter