Geocaching, et al.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

... any Geocachers here? http://geocaching.com

I also ran across this simplified version that I thought might be fun too... maybe leave CDs of LibriVox recordings for others to find =)
http://www.dropspots.org/

Have fun!
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Excellent idea! Excellent. And the CD's should last a long while, even in the rain...
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
trioptimum

Post by trioptimum »

I'm a geocacher (infrequently), and LV CDs in caches is a fantastic idea which I'll certainly do next time I get the chance. Thanks for the inspiration!
Equipment: AT2020 mic, Audition CC on Mac, and peppermint tea :)

My Catalogue Page
My Tumblr
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Hi! Just found this post about geocaching. I really enjoy it, as does my daughter. We frequently go out together. Is there any other cachers around?
There is a big event here on the island this year. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC349MK It is Island Spirit 2012 WestCan2. My daughter and I are both going, and I think it is going to be a blast!
If anybody else is going let me know and we could meet up to say hello!
--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

I do geocaching (Wing It on geocaching.com) but afraid I won't be coming to that event. Hope you have a good time. :D
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've gotten into geocaching. Same nickname there as here. I just had my first hidden cache published!

It's almost as exciting as my first solo!

Almost.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
erfunden

Post by erfunden »

I geocache also (Erfunden on both sites). Never thought about LV cds but they probably would make great cache swag.
Matt Bohnhoff
http://bohnhoff.livejournal.com/
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

To kilteddragon aka wing it-
How have you only found 323 caches but logged 3453 travel bugs? Go to a lot of events?
-Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

TriciaG wrote:I've gotten into geocaching. Same nickname there as here. I just had my first hidden cache published!

It's almost as exciting as my first solo!

Almost.
:lol: :lol:
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Hazel Pethig wrote:To kilteddragon aka wing it-
How have you only found 323 caches but logged 3453 travel bugs? Go to a lot of events?
-Hazel
I have a couple of friends who are very much into moving travel bugs. They give me a bag of them and then I trade them off in caches that I go by on the way to work and then give the new TB's back to them. This will be slowing down as they are getting away from trading them so much.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Yesterday was our annual Girl's Day trip. This year was 3 moms and 5 daughters and for the first time geocachers outnumbered muggles! So we actually were able to get a few caches. My favourite of the day was a cache on top of a hill on top of a mountain. Or what passes for a mountain here on southern Vancouver Island. I can't climb anymore, so I sent my 17 year old daughter and my friends 13 year old up the hill to get it. I got a great photo of the two of them standing on the top holding the cache. They said it was an easy find once they got up the hill.
-Hazel
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, so silly me, I showed geochaching.com to my younger son, now we are geocaching! We have three within a mile of our house. He went to look for one, but he couldn't find it. But we will keep looking, since there are 8 caches on one your regular trails!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
hallejk

Post by hallejk »

I am also a geocache-er I love that so many others here are too! And I also love the idea of LV CDs in caches.
Halle Kill
I'm going to be away from LV for a while. I have had some serious family things come up and LV is to much at the moment.
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I think geocaching with kids is a great way to get them outdoors. It combines treasure hunting with technology, whats not to like? Last summer my daughter and I went to a mega event that was right in our back yard! About 1300 geocachers all in one place. It was great. My daughter came in second in closest to the pin. A very strange game to watch. The organizer lets his GPS sit in the same place for about an hour to lock onto the coordinates very well. Then each player gets a small numbered flag and tries to place it as close to those coordinates as possible. So you have a small area full of people taking tiny steps while staring at their GPSrs in their hands and not talking. There is a larger ring of people watching silently. It was one of the strangest things I have ever seen. I loved seeing all the different people who geocache. This is truly one sport that crosses all lines, I saw every colour, every economic circumstance, and every level of physical ability. Including people in wheelchairs. I like a sport that anybody can participate in.
-Hazel
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

I have never geocached before...but now I want to. :P