COMPLETE: Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki - ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

This book is now complete and can be downloaded from the LibriVox catalogue: http://librivox.org/japanese-fairy-tales-by-yei-theodora-ozaki/

Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki.
First published in 1908, this is a book of "beautiful legends and fairy tales of Japan" that were collected, translated and retold by the author, Yei Theodora Ozaki, who states: "...in telling them I have also found that they were still unknown to the vast majority, and this has encouraged me to write them for the children of the West." In part, the project was the result of a suggestion made by her friend Andrew Lang, another collector of fairy stories, who printed his stories in the many Colored Fairy Books. (Summary by not.a.moose)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: January 31, 2008 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4018
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

A word count for each chapter has been included for your benefit.
    Forum discussions have shown that people read on average 130-190 words per minute.
    Per 5000 words, this comes to about 25 to 40 minutes of reading time.

Japanese pronunciation: The author name Yei is pronounced like the English 'yay.' Japanese pronunciation is completely phonetic and not too difficult. The vowels only have one sound, and are pronounced very similar to Italian vowels. Here are a couple of good Japanese pronunciation guides (a search for "japanese pronunciation" will yield lots more):

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~bestor/easy_pronunciation.htm
    http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/japanese_language/japanese_pronunciation.htm

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Japanese Fairy Tales. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say: "Japanese Fairy Tales, by Yei Theodora Ozaki. [Chapter ##, Chapter Name]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say: “End of [Chapter ##, Chapter Name]"
      If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Japanese Fairy Tales, by Yei Theodora Ozaki. "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this thread for more information.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    japanesefairytales_##_ozaki.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. japanesefairytales_01_ozaki.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title] (e.g. "01 - My Lord Bag of Rice")
    Artist: Yei Theodora Ozaki
    Album: Japanese Fairy Tales

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ge - Gesine
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by not.a.moose on December 9th, 2007, 8:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I'll MC this - let's assume the author died more than 70 years ago. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Gesine wrote:I'll MC this - let's assume the author died more than 70 years ago. :)
Great! What a lucky boy am I to get the amazing and fantastic Gesine to MC?!? Thanks a bunch!

I've read through a few of the stories and they promise to be fun fun fun with ogres and dragon kings and jellyfish... Jellyfish? Maybe not the most fun creatures on the planet, but we'll go with it!

Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Ha! Flattery... what can I say... we're off to a good start! ;)

The jellyfish sounds interesting, as do many of the other stories.

I've done the magic box. Well, let's see... you're BCing already, so you know how everything works. I've left most of the titles for you to fill in, all right?

I have a bad habit of not reading every single post in projects I'm not BCing, so if you have need of me, would you drop me a quick PM in case I don't spot a post here?

And with that, I'll leave you to it - good luck and thanks for putting this up! I'll claim something later. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Another thing, Scott - please make sure the files are uploaded to a server and include the Listen URLs. I'd offer mine but my Uploader is still shot. Anita (a.r.dobbs) or David (earthcalling) will gladly give you server space, and you might include the info on how to upload directly, in your first post.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Scott can't be here for a little while, so I'm stepping in to take your orders!

The reader list is now done and Scott has thoughtfully included a word count.
Planish

Post by Planish »

Ooh-ooh-ooh!
I wanna do "01: My Lord Bag of Rice".

First question - anybody know how to pronounce "Yei" in the author's name "Yei Theodora Ozaki"?
"Yay-ee"? "Yee"? "Yay"?
There is no frigate like a book / To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page / Of prancing poetry.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hehe - good point. It's Yay. Japanese pronunciation is completely phonetic and not too difficult. The vowels only have one sound, and are pronounced very similar to Italian vowels. Here are a couple of good Japanese pronunciation guides:

http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/japanese_language/japanese_pronunciation.htm

A search for "japanese pronunciation" will yield lots more.

I'll put these in the first post, too, and I'll sign you up for chapter 1. :)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I just recorded chapter 12: The Sagacious Monkey and the Boar.
marevalo

Post by marevalo »

could I have sections 4 and 5 ?
Thank you!!
M
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Absolutely!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I'm posting this in my projects, in case you haven't heard:
Audacity (free recording software for Mac/Win that most LibriVox volunteers use) has a new version out which fantastic, much improved noise removal! So if you can detect some background noise in your recordings (listen with headphones), head over to this thread, where all is revealed!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

annabelle.bandit wrote:May I do section 9? I speak a little Japanese, so I thought it might be fun to volunteer on this project. :)
That would be lovely; I'll sign you up. Welcome to LibriVox!

Please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

Also, if this is your first recording, you may want to send a sample recording of a minute or so, to make sure the sound quality etc is all right - often things can be improved at the outset that are difficult to fix later.
michaelrhys

Post by michaelrhys »

Hi,

Please sign me up for story 8 - The Story of the Man Who Did Not Wish to Die.

Since I live in Japan this seems a rather nice thing to choose as my first reading for Librivox.

Cheers.

Mike.