COMPLETE Moral Letters, Vol. II by Seneca-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ropeandtire

Post by ropeandtire »

Moral Letters, Vol. II by Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 - 65). Translated by Richard M. Gummere (1883 - 1969)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/moral-letters-vol-2-by-lucius-annaeus-seneca/

Volunteers outside the USA: Richard M. Gummere died in 1969. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies. <p>
This is the second volume of the Letters, Epistles LXVI-XCII. Among the personalities of the early Roman Empire there are few who offer to the readers of to-day such dramatic interest as does Lucius Annaeus Seneca, the author of the Epistles. These letters, written by Seneca towards the end of his life, are all addressed to his friend Lucilius, who, at the time when these letters were written, was a procurator in Sicily. The form of this work, as Bacon says, is a collection of essays rather than of letters. ( paraphrased from the Introduction in Volume 1 by Suprada Urval)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/adlucilium02sene
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Moral Letters, Vol. II. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Moral Letters, Vol. II, by Lucius Annaeus Seneca. Translated by Richard M. Gummere. Section [number]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Moral Letters, Vol. II by Seneca. Translated by Richard Gummere This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter title]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Moral Letters, Vol. II, by Lucius Annaeus Seneca. Translated by Richard M. Gummere."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  4. Example filename morallettersvol2_##_seneca_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. morallettersvol2_01_seneca_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ropeandtire on August 31st, 2016, 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ropeandtire

Post by ropeandtire »

This will be my first solo project! I have been listening and enjoying to Moral Letters Vol1 read by Felipe Vogel - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53665&hilit=Moral+letters+to+Lucilius and I want to read Volume II.

Volume II will have 27 sections, with each letter getting its own section, since that seems to be most convenient for listeners (similar to Vol 1). I hope this is ok.

I hope to read 2 letters a week (reading + editing + posting). That should be about 14 weeks, with editing and possible repeats, I hope to finish by 6 months.

I also had a question about the source to read from. I have linked to the scanned copy of the book in archive.org. However, I found a 'nicer to read' version at wikisource https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius and I would like to use this. Is it ok to use wiki-source?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

We don't use wikisource for a text source because they place a Creative Commons/Share-Alike License on all their stuff, which is not completely PD. There will some restriction under that license, mostly having to do with selling the text and products made from that text. We don't place any restrictions at all on our recordings, and people do sell them for their own profit. It would be better to use the archive source, since it is the scan of the book itself, verses someone saying that this is from a scan of a PD book. I took a look at the scan on archive, and it looks very clean considering some scans I have seen from there.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Suprada,

I can MC this for you. I'll get the MW set up.

M.A.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, your MW is set up. As a soloist, you will be your own BC for this project and will need to complete the MW and then post your links and times there as you go along.

You get to the MW by clicking the BC Admin link right below the MW. Use your forum name as the login. The first time you will need to click the "forgot password" button to get a password assigned.

Here are some useful links, including instructions on how to login and use the MW here:

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

You can use volume 1 as a guide on how to fill in the section titles, if that approach seems good to you.

I have modified your file name a bit . . . I think "2" is a bit clearer than "ii" in a file name.

If you have any trouble getting into the MW, or questions along the way, please just ask.

MaryAnn
ropeandtire

Post by ropeandtire »

icequeen wrote:We don't use wikisource for a text source because they place a Creative Commons/Share-Alike License on all their stuff, which is not completely PD. There will some restriction under that license, mostly having to do with selling the text and products made from that text. We don't place any restrictions at all on our recordings, and people do sell them for their own profit. It would be better to use the archive source, since it is the scan of the book itself, verses someone saying that this is from a scan of a PD book. I took a look at the scan on archive, and it looks very clean considering some scans I have seen from there.
Thanks Ann. I'll use the scanned images from archive.org.
ropeandtire

Post by ropeandtire »

Thanks MaryAnn. I filled in the chapter titles.

I also realized that I initially counted wrong - the book has just 26 sections, not 27. Could you please help delete the 27th section row?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

ropeandtire wrote:Could you please help delete the 27th section row?
Done.

We'll move over to "going solo". If no one comes along to DPL by the time you get a couple of sections posted, we can advertise on the Listeners Wanted forum.

MaryAnn
ropeandtire

Post by ropeandtire »

Section 01 - On Various Aspects of Virtue (38:12) uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/morallettersvol2_01_seneca_128kb.mp3

Man, this was one long chapter. A few shorter chapters coming up and hopefully I'll be able to record them faster.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Suprada. Real test to get you started, but hopefully it will go quicker with some shorter letters in the queue next.

As a soloist, you are also the BC, so it is your job to paste the link from the uploader into the MW, enter the duration in the notes field and mark the section as "ready for PL".

Let me know if you have any trouble or questions.

MaryAnn
ropeandtire

Post by ropeandtire »

Thanks MaryAnn. I looked at the instructions and updated the magic window. So good so far.
ropeandtire

Post by ropeandtire »

Section 02 - Letter 67 - On Ill Health and Endurance of Suffering has been uploaded. (11min 10sec)
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/morallettersvol2_02_seneca_128kb.mp3
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, two sections up, I think it's time to advertise for a DPL.

The instructions are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

You should post your advert in the Listeners and Editors Wanted board here: viewforum.php?f=21

To properly fill out the template, you need to insert links to your project thread and your source text. You will also need to fill in this bit of code

Code: Select all

[mw]xxxx[/mw]
You will need to replace the "xxxx" with your project code. To find that, just hover your mouse over the "bc admin" link below your MW. The project code is the 5 numbers at the end of that link (in your case 11077). If you have done it correctly, when you post on the Listeners Wanted board, your post should include a magic window. Hopefully the MW for your project!

Let me know if you have any questions.

MaryAnn
ropeandtire

Post by ropeandtire »

Thanks Maryann. I posted here. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=62036
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Excellent! All perfectly done. I see another admin has already been along to stickie it to the top of the thread . . .

MaryAnn