COMPLETE Rainbow Valley by L. M. Montgomery-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

SweetPea wrote:Could I just point out that he's Jerry Meredith, not Jerry Blythe :D
Thaaank yooouuu. :oops: Kind of rolls off the tongue better that way, doesn't it? :lol:
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

Here you are:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rainbowvalley_14_songexample.mp3
I sang the whole song through and then did the one line that's in it over again.
Hope this helps! :D
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

What a cute little song!! How have I missed this?? :wink: Thank you so much, Esther! :D
I might send the other folks a quick PM to make sure they notice this.
zwergwolf

Post by zwergwolf »

EstherbenSimonides wrote:I don't know if the song is PD, but if it's in a PD book, it basically has to be, right? I'll work on it soon. :D
Hmmm.. there are two things: the song text and the tune. So even if the lyrics are PD, you would have to find a composer/arrangement version that is also PD.
We've winded our heads around this in a poetry project, it's not always that easy.
Chances are good if it's an older song, so many songs from war time and so are PD (years 18xx or so :)) Else, inventing a tune is always a good idea to not get in conflict with the law/PDness/"LV-rules"

edit: I went ahead and looked some things up :)
"A Hot Time in the Old Town" is an American ragtime song, composed in 1896 by Theodore August Metz with lyrics by Joe Hayden." (from Wikipedia)
The Library of Congress, Performing Arts has an mp3 of a performance from the Victor Military Band from 1917 (link to Library of Congress with some more information on this, click on "Audio Formats: Play MP3" on the left side of the page to listen)

Some more information on Metz, Theodore August (1848-1936) and the Sheet Music to the Song can be found at the Library of Mississippi State University

I couldn't find any more information about Joe Hayden, the lyricist, yet, but on the sheet music mentioned above it says
Copyright for all countries. Copyright 1896 by Willis Woodword & Co.
Hope this will be of any help, but I guess we should ask MaryAnn for her opinion on this to be on the safe side?
Gaby

Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again - C.S. Lewis -
Icaruslanding

Post by Icaruslanding »

So I'm pulling the voice I want, but apparently I get shouty which is throwing my levels off. Working on correcting that now but just wanted you to know you should have something soon
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

On the song . . . Hot Time in the Old Town . . . my understanding is music is the same as the printed word. We've got a source for the melody that is 1922 or earlier, so singing PD words to this melody is fine.

Thanks for doing all that research!

MaryAnn
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Thanks, Gaby, and thanks for the confirmation, MaryAnn! :)
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Icaruslanding wrote:So I'm pulling the voice I want, but apparently I get shouty which is throwing my levels off. Working on correcting that now but just wanted you to know you should have something soon
Sounds good! Thank you, Mark! Yes, I know how hard it is to have somewhat shout-y lines and then try o say them into Audacity quiet enough! :shock:
Icaruslanding

Post by Icaruslanding »

Twinkle88 wrote:
Icaruslanding wrote:So I'm pulling the voice I want, but apparently I get shouty which is throwing my levels off. Working on correcting that now but just wanted you to know you should have something soon
Sounds good! Thank you, Mark! Yes, I know how hard it is to have somewhat shout-y lines and then try o say them into Audacity quiet enough! :shock:

More of a, doing a pompous elderly man voice strains me somewhat :P
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Oh, I see! Yes, I can see how that would be a strain! :shock: No rush! :wink:
Icaruslanding

Post by Icaruslanding »

First of the reverend

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rainbowvalley_19_revjamesperry.mp3 00:01:57

Checker is throwing the outside of normal DB range but the waveform seems perfect, no clipping that I can see either. I think it's reading the pauses between the sections and giving a false positive. If you can find the point it's actually complaining about please let me know

Second
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rainbowvalley_21_revjamesperry.mp3 00:00:15
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Thank you, Mark! These sound great, from what I've listened to! :) (I must say, though -- being unfamiliar with these chapters -- I was shocked by these lines! I can't believe he said that to that little girl! ...It was pretty hilarious at the end, though. :P ) I'll put these in the MW to be checked against the text.
Icaruslanding

Post by Icaruslanding »

Twinkle88 wrote:Thank you, Mark! These sound great, from what I've listened to! :) (I must say, though -- being unfamiliar with these chapters -- I was shocked by these lines! I can't believe he said that to that little girl! ...It was pretty hilarious at the end, though. :P ) I'll put these in the MW to be checked against the text.
Thanks Twinkle,

I'm still a little weirded out by checker throwing the db error, I ended up trying to drop the levels significantly with the envelope tool and, surprisingly, it passed, but almost everything compared to the other files sounded incredibly quiet in comparison so unless I'm missing something, I'm neigh on convinced it's throwing a false positive, BUT I would be happy to be wrong and figure out what it is that checker is unhappy about
zwergwolf

Post by zwergwolf »

Hi Mark,

I've just had a listen - great how you managed to do that voice! - and I think you're fine with the volume :)
It might be the sound of that particular voice and this is not the first time I notice the volume being outside the range.
So I think for DR recordings you don't need to be that correct with the volume level. If it's way too loud, the editor will fix it so it fits with the other parts of the chapter.
You could be right that it's messed up because of the pauses. If there's less than 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording (in a "regular" reading project), checker will also show a volume level that is not correct.

So don't worry about that too much 8-)

I'll come back to you on PLing the files this evening :)
Gaby

Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again - C.S. Lewis -