Recording on the 4th of July

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Here I am again wanting to record on the 4th of July, but unless the text is about a bomb raid or the Star Spangled Banner...

However, I have noticed recordings which do have firecrackers exploding in the background, and I have done it before, but tonight our house seems to be surrounded. I'll have to wait until tomorrow, and hope that the neighbors don't have any firecrackers or fireworks left over. Sometimes this is a week-long event on Long Island, NY.

So, to my fellow Americans, do you record or abstain on the 4th?

Peace be with you,
Sister
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sigh, I am not recording. Maybe I could have recorded earlier in the day, but the sun has been down for about 45 minutes and I am now surrounded by firecrackers, sparklers and every now and then a big boom. [And yes, it will go on for about a week as people shoot off whatever doesn't get used tonight.]

But I was able to get caught up on my PLing tonight!

MaryAnn
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Maybe some year there should be a "July 4th" collection--all read on July 4th, all patriotic things, with all the firecrackers and fireworks thrown in as bonus patriotism. :) I heard firecrackers at 9:00 this morning, so I think some people get extra excited. ;)
Adele

Post by commonsparrow3 »

I suppose our English readers have the same problem on November 5th, and our Chinese readers at New Year's. Maybe Adele has an idea - a collection of holiday readings from various holidays, all of which would include the fireworks suitable to the holiday!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I did all my recording earlier in the afternoon! Much easier that way!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Ha! no recording tonight for me; too many booms and pops outside my windows. But I have three chapters of Huckleberry Finn to edit and a class on Active Listening to prepare so no lack of things to do.
There is a project I've wanted to do for a long time; it is the Welcome to USA Citizenship brochure given to new citizens from 1988. http://preprints.readingroo.ms/newcitizen/Citizen_Welcome_Brochure.pdf Good stuff.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not American - but I celebrate on July 4th , it's the date my twins were born :D

Anne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

annise wrote:I'm not American - but I celebrate on July 4th , it's the date my twins were born :D

Anne
Fabulous! Congratulations on your amazing accompishment and their birthdays of course. :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

commonsparrow3 wrote:I suppose our English readers have the same problem on November 5th, and our Chinese readers at New Year's. Maybe Adele has an idea - a collection of holiday readings from various holidays, all of which would include the fireworks suitable to the holiday!
What about "mixed" events? What about Columbus Day? An encounter on October 12th? English + Spanish?.

Oh, I read in Wikipedia just now that there is also opposition to Columbus Day
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day

Cheers,
Basquetteur
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

That's a cool idea! But I won't be able to contribute recordings; I am one of those who fire the fireworks on holidays, so I'll be busy :lol:
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

commonsparrow3 wrote:I suppose our English readers have the same problem on November 5th, and our Chinese readers at New Year's. Maybe Adele has an idea - a collection of holiday readings from various holidays, all of which would include the fireworks suitable to the holiday!
Oh! That would be so much fun to incorporate the holiday background noises! to just work with them instead of fighting them.

(My most common background noise is trains. Hmmm...how can I incorporate that?)

Peace be with you,
Sister
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

How about the War of 1812? The Brits and Canadians can celebrate losing, and the Americans can celebrate not winning. Oh, and it's when the S.S.B. was written, too! :twisted:

We've had fireworks around here since about last Thursday. They're tapering off since Canada Day, though, and I don't record at night anyway.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Monaxi wrote: (My most common background noise is trains. Hmmm...how can I incorporate that?)
? Record a 2nd version of the Railway Children ? Murder on the Orient Express is not PD but maybe there are others :D

Anne