[COMPLETE] Enneads by Plotinus-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GeoffreyEdwards
Location: Box 311 Rapid City, Manitoba, Canada R0K1W0 1-204-728-1306

Post by GeoffreyEdwards »

Enneads by Plotinus (204 - 270) and others. Translated by Kenneth Guthrie (1871 - 1940)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/enneads-by-plotinus/

The six Enneads (ΕΝΝΕΑΔΕΣ) are the collected writings of the Neoplatonic philosopher Plotinus (ΠΛΩΤΙΝΟΣ) arranged by his student Porphyry (ΠΟΡΦΥΡΙΟΣ) into fifty-four books with each Ennead containing nine. The translator Kenneth Sylvan Guthrie arranged these books chronologically rather than according to Porphyry's numeration. This recording is organized according to Porphyry's numeration with Roman numerals indicating the Ennead and Hindu-Arabic numerals indicating the book e.g. VI.9 would be the ninth book of the sixth Ennead. A hyperlinked table of contents at Volume 1 Page 3 of the gutenberg.org text will enable you to jump to the specific Ennead if you wish to read along with the recording. (Summary by Geoffrey Edwards)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42930
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Classics (Antiquity); *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Ancient; Philosophy

Keywords that describe the book: Christianity, Judaism, Plato, Islam, neoplatonism, Plotinus, Porphyry, Philosophy, Soul, Ethics, God, Morality, Theology

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Enneads. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Enneads, by Plotinus. Translated by Kenneth Sylvan Guthrie (1871 - 1940) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Ennead X Book Y [Part Z] by Plotinus. Translated by Kenneth Sylvan Guthrie. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Enneads, by Plotinus. Translated by Kenneth Sylvan Guthrie (1871 - 1940)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename enneads_01_plotinus_ennead1book6_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. enneads_01_plotinus_ennead1book6_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Plotinus
    Title: Ennead 1 Book 6
    Album: Enneads

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by GeoffreyEdwards on June 4th, 2018, 5:33 pm, edited 26 times in total.
GeoffreyEdwards

Here are the other links to the Gutenberg project:

Volume 2: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42931
Volume 3: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42932
Volume 4: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42933
Last edited by GeoffreyEdwards on June 2nd, 2016, 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GeoffreyEdwards

As I mention in the summary after this recording is complete I plan to make a duplicate project and rearrange the audio files so that people have the choice of which order they want to listen to them in. I expect this recording to be at least 24 hours long.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

If one is needed, would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
GeoffreyEdwards

Thanks Dave. I'll credit you at the end. :thumbs:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

GeoffreyEdwards wrote:As I mention in the summary after this recording is complete I plan to make a duplicate project and rearrange the audio files so that people have the choice of which order they want to listen to them in. I expect this recording to be at least 24 hours long.
We don't really allow the same recording in 2 different projects and you surely wouldn't want to read the same thing twice - especially 24 hours worth . Or have I got it wrong and you are planning to read a different translation?

Anne
GeoffreyEdwards

I was planning on using the same recording twice but reorganizing the sections. The first time following the translator's organization which can be sort of intimidating to someone who knows nothing of Plotinus because it looks chaotic. The benefit of using this organization is that someone can listen and look at Gutenberg at the same time. If I can only choose one way then I will choose this one.

Ennead I Treatise 6
Ennead IV Treatise 7
Ennead III Treatise 1
Ennead IV Treatise 1
Ennead V Treatise 9
Ennead IV Treatise 8
etc

The second version would following the naming convention in numeric order which is how some people will prefer to read this book:
Ennead I Treatise 1
Ennead I Treatise 2
Ennead I Treatise 9
Ennead II Treatise 1
Ennead II Treatise 2
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks Geoffrey. I can see why you want it.
I'll set it up , go ahead with your first version and I'll do some thinking and consulting about the second plan

I don't see a way at the moment but I'll try

Anne

All done - :D
GeoffreyEdwards

I'm in the process of moving so I won't have my first section up until around June 20. Then after that I should get into a rhythm again pretty quick.
GeoffreyEdwards

I've folded like a deck of cards and decided to arrange the sections by name. This will make listening less confusing to someone who isn't following allowing with the Guthrie translation. The nice thing about Gutenberg is that the sections are hyperlinked so it is easy to jump to the right volume. Section 6 is uploaded.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sounds like a good solution - :thumbs:
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

volume is low (84.9dB) and should be amplified by 4dB, otherwise pl ok.
GeoffreyEdwards

Thank you for catching that. :thumbs: I've amplified it by 3.8. I say Standard PL to make it easier on the volunteer than Wordperfect but anything else you catch that jumps out at you please let me know.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

6 PL OK.

Will do. WP is nice but the errors I find usually involve the words "the" and "a" and their presence or absence is of little importance to the meaning of the text.
GeoffreyEdwards

Section 1 is uploaded. There was one typo in the Gutenberg text where it says organizing instead of organism on 1199. I'm experimenting with a few different recording environment setups so you'll have to tell me which you prefer.

Section 1 is Environment A.