Librivox App for Windows Phones

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
marymadcap

Post by marymadcap »

I made the mistake of getting a Windows phone (it was very cheap at the time) without checking to see if a Librivox app was available for it. It sounds silly, but not having the app has really affected me. I have major depression and it's really sad not being able to listen to Librivox in bed or while I'm out anymore. I have no attention span for books when I'm feeling bad, and Librivox has seriously saved me many times by distracting me from my mood and providing great entertainment.

I know Windows phones are not the most popular ios, but would you ever consider creating an app for them? It would mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for everything you do.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We don't make the apps - they are really nothing to do with us, we release the recordings into the public domain and people chose to use them as they wish. I don't know much about phones , a windows phone is different from an iphone I know, is it differerent from an android ?- there are apps for both I know
Someone may be able to tell you more

Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I have a Windows phone too. If you have a computer, you can download Librivox books to your computer and transfer them to your phone:

1. On the Librivox catalog page for a book, look for the Listen/Download links on the left side of the page. Right-click the download button for "whole book (zip file)" and save it to your computer.
2. Navigate to the zip file on your computer and unzip it.
3. Plug your phone into a USB port and open the Windows Phone folder (look in File Explorer | This PC if you don't get a popup).
4. Copy the unzipped folder from your computer into the phone's Music folder.
5. The files will be on the phone under the Music and Videos tile (each book is an "album" and each file is a "song").

It's not as fast as downloading from an app, but at least this way you have access to the entire Librivox catalog (not limited to what an app developer has decided to include) and it's all 100% free.

If you have OneDrive (Microsoft's cloud storage) on your phone, I would imagine you could download the mp3 files to that and then access them on your phone. But I haven't tried it myself.
Laurie Anne
marymadcap

Post by marymadcap »

That's true, but I could also download books from The Pirate Bay and transfer them to my phone. I just miss the ease of the app. I guess I'm lazy. :/ Thanks for your input!