LV Anniversary

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Greetings! How will we know when the LV anniversary project is ready for us to sign up. I've been finding it each year by chance, but don't want to miss it. Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm not sure there will be one this year. Ruth usually runs it, and she said she was done at 10. They're a lot of work! (They need a dedicated, experienced BC to keep them organized and to be sure submissions are PD.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Tricia, thanks for letting me know. Yes, they were big projects, and getting bigger! Perhaps we can come up with a scaled down version, a bit more manageable. They were fun!

Peace be with you,
Sister
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, part of the problem is also to find works with "11" in the title, provided we stick at least to this part of the format.

And then there's always the question whether you really need to celebrate each and every anniversary like that - and not just the big ones with fives or zeros...

But maybe somebody has a good idea how to pull this off - maybe a complete new type of anniversary project for the next decade or so?

I'm all ears! 8-)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Monaxi wrote:Tricia, thanks for letting me know. Yes, they were big projects, and getting bigger! Perhaps we can come up with a scaled down version, a bit more manageable. They were fun!
Personally, I've always enjoyed these yearly celebrations of our LibriVox community. If the admins would accept a scaled down, more manageable version--say with a limit of 50 selections and the readers limited to one contribution per person, I would be willing to BC.

I don't think the "11" would be a problem; I already had something picked out!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Sue Anderson wrote:
Monaxi wrote:Tricia, thanks for letting me know. Yes, they were big projects, and getting bigger! Perhaps we can come up with a scaled down version, a bit more manageable. They were fun!
Personally, I've always enjoyed these yearly celebrations of our LibriVox community. If the admins would accept a scaled down, more manageable version--say with a limit of 50 selections and the readers limited to one contribution per person, I would be willing to BC.

Selections of just 11 recordings would be appropriate. Also, they shouldn't take too long to put together.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sue Anderson wrote: Personally, I've always enjoyed these yearly celebrations of our LibriVox community. If the admins would accept a scaled down, more manageable version--say with a limit of 50 selections and the readers limited to one contribution per person, I would be willing to BC.

Go ahead Sue - you should be able to find the threads in the completed forum - yell if you want them and can't. I think scaled back is the way to go , and 1 item per reader, it will be more difficult to get interesting things - the 11th word of the 11th line in the 11th chapter isn't much fun I feel :D

So if you are willing , it's all yours :D

Anne
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Mary's idea of limiting it to 11 readings, and no more than 1 per reader, would make it short and sweet, and still celebrate LV.

Please let me know when the project is launched! I too have been thinking about this one all year.

Peace be with you,
Sister
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

annise wrote:
Sue Anderson wrote: Personally, I've always enjoyed these yearly celebrations of our LibriVox community. If the admins would accept a scaled down, more manageable version--say with a limit of 50 selections and the readers limited to one contribution per person, I would be willing to BC.

Go ahead Sue - you should be able to find the threads in the completed forum - yell if you want them and can't. I think scaled back is the way to go , and 1 item per reader, it will be more difficult to get interesting things - the 11th word of the 11th line in the 11th chapter isn't much fun I feel :D

So if you are willing , it's all yours :D

Anne
Ok, LibriVoxers, the 11th anniversary collection is underway; :clap: I'm collecting my thoughts and will post the project soon!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Oh, good! I have an "Eleven" item I've had my eye on for this collection!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

I'll wager that quite a few LibriVox enthusiasts besides myself have had an "eleven" tucked away on their computer waiting to record for the anniversary collection. Mine, just so somebody else doesn't grab it is "How to Furnish and Decorate an Eleven Hundred Dollar Cottage," from Cosmos magazine, December 1, 1890. And if anybody wants to see what kind of a house you could buy in 1890 for $1100.00--weep and cry at the picture! https://archive.org/details/jstor-25586232

A fun way to find "elevens," by the way, is to go to google.books, advanced search, and enter dates between, say, 1850-1923, key word, "eleven" and "full view only." You'll be amazed, I guarantee!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm glad you're taking this one up, Sue. Your experience in the nonfiction collections has well prepared you for determining if something is PD and all that stuff. 8-)

I'll MC it if no one else picks it up before I do.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

TriciaG wrote:I'm glad you're taking this one up, Sue. Your experience in the nonfiction collections has well prepared you for determining if something is PD and all that stuff. 8-)

I'll MC it if no one else picks it up before I do.
Thanks, Tricia, the collection is now up on the new works thread.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sue Anderson wrote:I'll wager that quite a few LibriVox enthusiasts besides myself have had an "eleven" tucked away on their computer waiting to record for the anniversary collection. Mine, just so somebody else doesn't grab it is "How to Furnish and Decorate an Eleven Hundred Dollar Cottage," from Cosmos magazine, December 1, 1890. And if anybody wants to see what kind of a house you could buy in 1890 for $1100.00--weep and cry at the picture! https://archive.org/details/jstor-25586232
Sue,
The metal ceilings look great, but I notice no place for bathrooms . . .
MaryAnn
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
Sue Anderson wrote:I'll wager that quite a few LibriVox enthusiasts besides myself have had an "eleven" tucked away on their computer waiting to record for the anniversary collection. Mine, just so somebody else doesn't grab it is "How to Furnish and Decorate an Eleven Hundred Dollar Cottage," from Cosmos magazine, December 1, 1890. And if anybody wants to see what kind of a house you could buy in 1890 for $1100.00--weep and cry at the picture! https://archive.org/details/jstor-25586232
Sue,
The metal ceilings look great, but I notice no place for bathrooms . . .
MaryAnn
Details, details, MaryAnn!