Lars Rolander has passed away.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

I am sorry to inform you that Lars (Rowland) has passed away.

He has been an ethusiastic contributor and member of the admin team, and we will miss him.

http://familj.corren.se/#!/minnas/7563248/lars-rolander
https://librivox.org/reader/2234
Carolin
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Excerpt of the Google translation of one web page:
Mr. Rowland (Lars Rolander) was born July 23, 1942 passed away April 26, 2016 after a brief illness.

Started with a magic box and received private tuition. But most learned Lars from technical literature - he was crazy about books. He published the magazines "The Magic Scanian Rock" and "Merlin" (number 5) and was trick editor in Swedish magic circle Journal Wizard for many years.
I think we can attest to his love for books.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
catrose

Post by catrose »

Such tragic news. God bless his family at such a difficult time. Whenever I came into contact with him, Lars was such a lovely gentleman and he will be greatly missed around the forum. In particular, I remember his remarkable performance as Peer Gynt (which I will link below for anyone who has not listened to it because it is certainly more than worth the time!) and I recall his voice from throughout the Shakespeare Histories. Although he is no longer with us, his voice, and thus his memory, shall stay with us forever. Thank you for everything you have done, Lars.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Claire

Post by Claire »

I heard about Lars on the LibriVox Facebook page.
My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

He will be missed.

Lee Ann
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I've only encountered Lars occasionally, through some of his readings; a fine sense of humour.

It's strange: our LibriVox creations will live on long after we're gone, in the same way as paintings, sculpture or the books that we read live on after their creators. It's one of the chances that we get to leave some immortal part of us behind.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

He has such a lovely voice. When I see his name I can hear him . Strange how the internet ties you to people you have never met. A life well lived.

Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Such a kind, gentle, and funny voice around the LV forum. I'll certainly miss him.
Laurie Anne
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I am so sorry to hear that. My deepest condolances to his family and friends. I love listening to his recordings and have done so all spring, his recordings of Selma Lagerlof are so calming and reassuring.
Kathrine
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I will miss him! He was a wonderful priest. His kindness and comforting words helped me when I most needed it. And I think of him as a friend.
His body of work in Librivox was a great contribution.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

A great loss. One of the signature voices of Librivox and a true gentleman. I am sure that, where ever he is now, he is still captivating people with his magic tricks and his wonderful personal charm.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by kayray »

This is such sad news. Lars was a treasure, kind and gentle and friendly. He will be greatly missed. :(
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

I am so sorry to hear this. He had a beautiful voice and gave such wise, encouraging and gentle advice on the podcasts. I can only understand his recordings in English but I am sure that, whatever language readers listen to him in, his legacy will bring pleasure to many for many years to come.
Live in a Life + 70 or Life + 50 country? Record with us on legamus.eu too. It's like LibriVox but for those who obey different ridiculous rules on what's public domain.
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

So sad to hear of Lars' passing. He was such a kind, soothing soul, which came through clearly in his voice. I got the pleasure of his contributions to the LibriVox podcast and his insights and humanity always touched me. A great human being.
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

What tragic news. My condolences to his family.

The Wonderful Adventures of Nils was a particular favourite of mine. He had a wonderful voice.
So little space, so much to say.
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

My condolences to his family and indeed to the LV-family too.
We will miss Lars.

Bart
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank