[Relig Fic]Paul-Herald of the Cross, Florence Kingsley-dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Paul: A Herald of the Cross by Florence Morse Kingsley (1859 - 1937).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/paul-a-herald-of-the-cross-by-florence-morse-kingsley/
This is an exciting sequel to the earlier books Titus: A Comrade of the Cross and Stephen: A Soldier of the Cross. It tells the story of the apostle Paul, from his conversion through his imprisonment.
(Temporary summary, to be replaced later :))
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/paulheraldofcros00king
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard (I will DPL this project :D)

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      Genres for the project: Religious Fiction/Christian Fiction; Historical Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: rome, Paul, Epistles, Israel, historical novel, saul, paul the apostle, imprisonment

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Paul: A Herald of the Cross. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Paul: A Herald of the Cross, by Florence M. Kingsley. [If this is the first chapter of a part, add: "Part [number], [Part name]"]. Chapter [number], [Chapter name]."

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [number]." [If this is the last chapter of a part, add: "End of Part [number]."]
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Paul: A Herald of the Cross, by Florence M. Kingsley. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      paul_##_kingsley_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. paul_01_kingsley_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (Please note that ID3 tags are now optional - the software adds them automatically.)
      Artist: Florence M. Kingsley
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Paul: A Herald of the Cross

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by SweetPea on June 22nd, 2016, 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

I really enjoyed the first two books in this series, so I'm excited to be starting the third! I'm planning to DPL this project. Looking for lots of readers! :-)
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

I can MC this for you.

MW is setup and started.

I will move this over to "Readers Wanted: Books" after you have entered the word counts for each section.

David O
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

I was wondering if you would start this. :) May I have 30 and 31?

Have you read the Cross Triumphant? It's written in the same style about the destruction of the temple and the last high priest.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

David, thank you for MC'ing this! :D I've filled in the MW.

Elijah, thank you for claiming! I've assigned you chapters 1 and 21. I'm going to read the preface though, sorry about that :)

Esther, glad to see you here :D Certainly you may have those chapters! I haven't actually read the Cross Triumphant (it's so hard to find those old books in hard copy, and I hate ebooks :wink:) but I found it on Archive a while ago and thought it looked really interesting. It's on my list of projects to do, once this one is done :) It'll be cool to have the whole series in the catalogue!
Rachel

readinglover

Post by readinglover »

Hi, I'm new and I would like to take sections 34 and 35 A Businessman In Ephesus and Diana Of The Ephesians. I'm reading under the name Gaynor Kerr I hope I've done this right :wink: Thanks
readinglover
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Those chapters are all yours, have fun :D Before you start recording though, could I have you submit a quick 1-minute test? It's not an audition, just a sound check to make sure your tech specs are all right. Just ask if you have any questions!

Thanks!
Rachel :)
Rachel

readinglover

Post by readinglover »

Hi,
I just signed up to read chapters 34 and 35. When I downloaded the text I discovered footnotes, but could find no direction as to what to do with them. Can I assume they should be read at the point they occur in the text? Or did I simply miss the instruction? Sorry for what to me sounds like a silly question :? but this is my first LV read, thanks.
Readinglover
readinglover

Post by readinglover »

Hi Rachel,
I will send the test as soon as I get time, likely tomorrow (Wednesday) as I will be busy this evening.
I'm really looking forward to this :D
Gaynor
readinglover

Post by readinglover »

Here is the link to my one minute test
Gaynor
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/gaynorkerr1minutetest.mp3
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

readinglover wrote:Hi,
I just signed up to read chapters 34 and 35. When I downloaded the text I discovered footnotes, but could find no direction as to what to do with them. Can I assume they should be read at the point they occur in the text? Or did I simply miss the instruction? Sorry for what to me sounds like a silly question :? but this is my first LV read, thanks.
Readinglover
Hi there,
It's a good question :) There seem to be quite a few which just say where something is to be found in the Bible - I'd probably leave those out, but if you think they add something, I would say yes, read them where they occur. For the longer footnotes, I think they'd interrupt the flow of the text to leave them in the middle of a sentence, so if you include them, I would wait until the end of the sentence or paragraph (whatever works best) then say "footnote. [text of footnote.] End of footnote." and resume reading.
However, the nice thing about footnotes is that you don't have to make a rule and stick to it for every footnote - just read the ones you think are interesting and which add something to the text.
Hope this helps!
readinglover wrote:Here is the link to my one minute test
Gaynor
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/gaynorkerr1minutetest.mp3
Awesome! :thumbs: I see someone has commented on it in your thread in Listeners Wanted, so I'll leave it to him to help you out with the test.

Thanks!
Rachel

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Here's the preface, if someone wouldn't mind PL'ing:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/paul_00_kingsley_128kb.mp3 4:57
Rachel

dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Preface is PL OK.

David O
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

Here's Chapter 30:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/paul_30_kingsley_128kb.mp3
10:28
I'm competing in the Bible Bee this summer, so it's cool to see how many of the passages quoted in that chapter are memory passages!
Thanks! :D
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides