[COMPLETE]Old New Zealand by F.E. Maning - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Old New Zealand: Being Incidents of Native Customs and Character in the Old Times by Frederick Edward Maning (1812 - 1883).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/old-new-zealand-by-frederick-edward-maning/
Introduction to Old New Zealand
Philip Steer

Victoria University February 2004

Frederick Edward Maning is best known as an author, but he was also at times a trader and a judge of the Native Land Court. He was born in Dublin, Ireland on 5 July 1811 or 1812 and immigrated to Tasmania with his family in 1823. He lived in New Zealand from 1833 until 1882, when ill health forced him to seek medical care in England. He died in London on 25 July 1883, but was buried in New Zealand later that year. His Old New Zealand: A Tale of the Good Old Times (1863) is one of the few pre-twentieth century New Zealand literary texts that have not descended into obscurity with passing time. Historian Peter Gibbons describes it as perhaps one of the best known and most widely read of all works on early New Zealand and it has often been reprinted.
A link to the full introduction by Philip Steer can be found here:

Code: Select all

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-SteOldN.html
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33342
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography

Keywords that describe the book: new zealand, pakeha maori, general and eastern hemisphere, history of oceania

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Old New Zealand: Being Incidents of Native Customs and Character in the Old Times. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Old New Zealand: Being Incidents of Native Customs and Character in the Old Times, by Frederick Edward Maning. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Old New Zealand: Being Incidents of Native Customs and Character in the Old Times by Frederick Edward Maning. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Old New Zealand: Being Incidents of Native Customs and Character in the Old Times, by Frederick Edward Maning. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename oldnewzealand_##_maning_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. oldnewzealand_01_maning_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

This book is part of a series published during the time of the Maori wars and after the signing of the treaty of Waitangi and fairly well known in New Zealand even today. I would love to read more from this series eventually. I have this book in printed form published 1863. The version on Project Gutenberg seems to be a newer version - it says posted 2010 in the description but with no reference to the original publishing date. The title also differs from my book and what is online. Likewise, I am not sure I will be allowed to use Philip Steer's introduction written in 2004.

Note: I am currently working on another project and do not intend to start immediately on this project which is why I have put the intended completion date to May 2017
Last edited by GNOMESB on July 7th, 2018, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naomi Brewster
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Looks interesting. I hadn't realised how little I knew about actual Maori history and lifestyle as distinct from ferocious cannibals of Jules Verne till I listened to Heke's war.
I'll set it up later . When you say you have this book in printed form is it an actual printed pre 1923 book or a facsimile ?

Anne
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

annise wrote:Looks interesting. I hadn't realised how little I knew about actual Maori history and lifestyle as distinct from ferocious cannibals of Jules Verne till I listened to Heke's war.
I'll set it up later . When you say you have this book in printed form is it an actual printed pre 1923 book or a facsimile ?

Anne
It's an old paperback. I guess I had better read from the Gutenberg though as that is what is available.
Naomi Brewster
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

MW done
You won't be able to use the summary in the catalogue , but you can leave it in the forum , it's intersting for most of our members
I shortened the automatic file name you'd get RSI typing it :D

Anne
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

annise wrote:MW done
You won't be able to use the summary in the catalogue , but you can leave it in the forum , it's intersting for most of our members
I shortened the automatic file name you'd get RSI typing it :D

Anne
thanks Anne, how exciting. Can't wait to get started. Probably in a month or so after I finish the James Cook book.

Oh - I meant to ask - is the book on Hone Heke's war a librivox one? I did a search on both Librivox and Audible and didn't find it. Would love to listen to it too - one it is fascinating history and secondly it may help me with pronunciation of some of the names and places.
Naomi Brewster
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

yes -Phil benson read it just search" heke " . It's a diary written by a reverent gentleman with a long title that includes Heke . I'm not on my real computer at the moment, trying to get used to it

Anne

got there https://librivox.org/extracts-from-a-diary-kept-by-the-rev-r-burrows-during-hekes-war-in-the-north-in-1845-by-robert-burrows/
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

annise wrote:yes -Phil benson read it just search" heke " . It's a diary written by a reverent gentleman with a long title that includes Heke . I'm not on my real computer at the moment, trying to get used to it

Anne

got there https://librivox.org/extracts-from-a-diary-kept-by-the-rev-r-burrows-during-hekes-war-in-the-north-in-1845-by-robert-burrows/

Thanks for that Anne. Will download. Look forward to listening to it.
Naomi Brewster
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl. I may be "off the grid" for several weeks in September.
DaveC
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

craigdav1 wrote:Would enjoy being dpl. I may be "off the grid" for several weeks in September.
DaveC
Hey Dave, thanks. I'll be going nice and slowly and it can wait for you to get back. Hope your September MIA is something exciting.
Naomi
Naomi Brewster
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Iceland! Enjoyed the wonders of NZ and Australia two years ago.
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

craigdav1 wrote:Iceland! Enjoyed the wonders of NZ and Australia two years ago.
Lol - just realised you are DPLing my Cook recordings. Welcome on board.
Naomi Brewster
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Iceland - I'm green with envy :mrgreen: . I'm off to FNQ (Far north Queensland) for a couple of weeks in July - still sorting out internet access but hope to have it.

I'll move us over to going Solo and things will happen when they happen :D

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We have had a server problem viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62490
Any files and posts made in that time were lost. The MW shows the only files I have for this project - if any are missing you will need to reupload and post the links , If everything is fine could you just post so I can cross you off my list

Anne
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

annise wrote:We have had a server problem viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62490
Any files and posts made in that time were lost. The MW shows the only files I have for this project - if any are missing you will need to reupload and post the links , If everything is fine could you just post so I can cross you off my list

Anne
Anne, I haven't posted anything yet. This is a project I intend to start in December or so.
Naomi Brewster
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks - crossing you off the list :D

Anne