Solo The Children's Tabernacle;/Hand Work and Heart Work-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Rachel, guilty as charged! I'm glad these chapters are PL OK--and, yes, I did end up re-recording a few phrases, and I noticed the sound-quality difference, too. My recording setup is actually challenging to get into, as it involves a lot of unconventional pillows and cushions, and a small voice recorder as opposed to a computer microphone. So, I got lazy and simply re-recorded the three-eight word phrases out in the open, using a built-in computer microphone... You caught me, and I'll take more care in the future! Of course, the ideal situation is to read most carefully at the outset... Not worth re-recording, perhaps, but worth considering for the next several chapters.
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Rachel,

I've finally recorded Chapters 6-9 and should be editing and uploading them soon. I'm wondering if you have some stylistic advice. I found two hymns in these chapters. I couldn't get a tune for one, but I have found a PD tune for the other. I really don't have an exquisite voice, but my dog doesn't howl when I sing either--just a normal, if unpolished, way of singing. However, my philosophy about hymns in the text of books tends to be that authors wouldn't include hymn-texts if they didn't want music to float through their readers' minds. So, should I sing the hymns or simply read them? I've actually done it both ways, and I'd like to know which version to edit out when I finally submit the chapter in question.
Also, one chapter features a verse reference for John, when the verse is actually found in 1 John. This seems like an important distinction, and I'm assuming the mistake arose from a scanning discrepancy. I'm wondering if you or Ann would be willing to check on this, since my OCR software doesn't always care for small parenthetical references. The error is in Chapter 8, the fifteenth paragraph; page 107. Thank you so much, and you should be hearing from me by 8 May.
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Oh, I think it would be great if you sang the hymns! I'm for leaving in the sung versions, but it's your choice.

As for the John/1 John thing, I agree that it's pretty important, though the original text says John, so it's probably an original printer's error. I'd correct it, but that's also your choice.

Looking forward to more!
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

"You should be hearing from me by 8 May", I proclaimed on 23 April with an over-abundance of proud confidence. How about... You should be hearing from me soon, as I am only now beginning to edit the chapters!?
Bethesda Lily

bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

And, at long last, Ch. VI is ready for PL! Please be listening especially for pauses that seem unnatural to you as the listener; I don't know if my ears are unbiased enough judges. Also, let me know if you find the placement of the footnote logical.
Bethesda Lily

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

I thought this was a very interesting chapter!

The spacing sounds good to me, for the most part. I think I'd leave a bit longer pauses between the intro and the actual text, and especially between the text and the "end of chapter" statement. You could maybe leave very slightly longer spaces between paragraphs, too. I don't really think any of this is worth changing this time though, just keep in mind for next time! (I likely wouldn't have noticed anything either if you hadn't asked me to pay particular attention to the pauses.)

About the footnote - when you said "footnote A" at 8:42 I was a rather confused until I looked at the text - I think you could take that out, seeing as you say "footnote A" again a few seconds later when you actually read the footnote.

This is all your choice whether to fix or not - for now I will give Chapter 6 a hearty PL OK!
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter. This, and Chapter IV, have been an especial pleasure to record--and wait until we get into Ch. 9-14!

I think I'll fix the footnote, but leave the pauses as they are, keeping in mind your advice next time. Thank you for the advice; I really do appreciate it and will be implementing it for the future. I'm slowly learning that universally truncating silence using the handy-dandy Audacity feature isn't always a good idea, but wanted some specific advice as a listener--so, again, thank you for providing it. No guarantees, but I hope to upload the fixed file as well as some new material by tomorrow evening. I recently got a new piece of Braille equipment that should allow me to read documents more quickly, without the extra preparation time, so hopefully I'll be able to work a bit more quickly on this project and get it finished soon. I can't really explain it except that perhaps this is God's guidance, but this specific book means a tremendous amount to me and reading it has felt like a profound ministry--so I need to get on it!
Bethesda Lily

bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Chapter VI has been re-uploaded, and Chapter VII is now ready for PL. Let me know what you think!
Bethesda Lily

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Chapter 6 is PL OK!
Chapter 7 has one PL note:
- at 5:42 you have a repeat of "thus Dora went on while the dangerous current of inclination"

Great job!
Rachel

bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Chapter VII has been reuploaded, and Chapters VIII-IX are now ready for PL.. Thanks, and enjoy!
Bethesda Lily

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Chapters 7, 8 and 9 are all PL OK!
Rachel

bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Ann and Rachel,

I just thought I'd check in to let you both know that I'm still interested in this project and planning to finish--hopefully soon! Life has gotten in the way several times, but this project is extremely meaningful to me, and I look forward to further work on it in the next few weeks. I have Ch. 10 recorded and will be editing it as soon as I have time.
Bethesda Lily

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We have had a server problem viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62490
Any files and posts made in that time were lost. The MW shows the only files I have for this project - if any are missing you will need to reupload and post the links , If everything is fine could you just post so I can cross you off my list

Anne
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Hi, Ann,

What you see in the MW is all that I have recorded for this time. I'm currently working on Ch. 10, and this project is still very important to me, so if you would consider this my monthly check-in post, too, that would be wonderful! Thanks.
Bethesda Lily

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks for answering - just wanted to make sure nothing was missing

Anne