[complete] The Hero by W. Somerset Maugham - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Great, Lilith, you are a fast reader after my own heart!
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Lilith,

Great reading!

At 24:49, I hear "Mrs. Clibborn" Rather than "Miss Clibborn"

My best,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 »

Thanks Pam! I corrected the fragment. :D
I just find myself thinking about the story the whole day! I guess it won't stop until I finish it.
And it's lots of fun recording an audio book; didn't know that before.
-------oOOo--oo------Oo----------

\
(
9<
/) )
_L___§___\|/__§______\|/_____§_______§§_
"For want of a bird / The sky was lost" -- Tom Waits
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Section 12 is PL OK.

When I said fast, I meant as in getting a lot done. Yes, when you are the solo reader of an audiobook, you inhabit it and become its voice!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 »

Thanks Pam! :D

\
(
9<
/) )
OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 »

Hi Pam,
Chapter 13 ready! Thanks!

\
(
9<
/) )
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Great!

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Lilith,

Such a nice dramatic reading. Some small technical things:

between 17:41-18:04 there are a number of crackling snaps that you may want to edit out or re-record the segment.

There is quite a lot of background sound especially after about 18:04 minutes, but sure enough, when I applied my usually benign noise reduction, I didn't like the results.

At some point, but maybe not now, you will want to find a solution to this common problem that works for you (all of my recordings have this background hiss which I have to remove). Here is Phil Chenevert's latest video on the problem:

https://youtu.be/x2603zZhUUk

Here is the wiki link to the topic:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning

I would not mention any of this small stuff if this were a collaborative project, but you are a soloist and this is the first of what I hope will be many projects.

Hope this is helpful,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 »

Hi Pam,
I rerecorded the troublesome section. I am not sure what it is, but if I record an extended period the mic seems to give up. It's probably because it's an old mic that I dug out from boxes. I have to check better next time! :oops:
I've tried noise reduction after 18:04. I think it is much better now. I tried before in sections, but obviously I missed the later parts! :(
Hope you don't mind this going back to and fro! Still trying to find the optimal settings in many things. I may have to consider another room for recording...
Thanks for all the patient advice! Very much appreciated. I half grasped the explanations in the video, with practice hopefully I'll have a better understanding.

\
(
9<
/) )
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Lilith,

I don't mind going back and forth at all. I am just grateful for your patience with the process!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Lilith,

Section 13 is PL OK.

The snaps are gone. Some noise remains at the end but I would proceed with caution and experiment with small files on Audacity first.

Yes, a decent mic is important. I got a Samson on sale from Amazon. But before you make a change, it may be helpful to post a sample file made on your current equipment on the help and advice forum here and let the experts take a listen.

Anyway, this is a terrific reading of the chapter!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 »

Hi Pam,
Back! Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.
Chapter 14 ready.

\
(
9<
/) )
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Lilith,

Sections 14 is PL OK.

Sound perfect! No background hiss. No snaps.

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 »

Thanks Pam!
I think I know better what to do now. I passed it through Checker, did Amplify, reduced noise, checked again, and amplified and checked as needed. :D

\
(
9<
/) )
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Well, it's perfect!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson