[COMPLETE] Mardi, Vol. I, by Herman Melville - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I would greatly appreciate if you could do this - since you still have the files (I hope :wink:) you won't need to download them like I would. Please make sure they have the same filenames! Otherwise we'll have to check at least the intros again to make sure that there was no mixup somewhere.

Interestingly, I just noticed that our tech specs are missing from the solo template. They should be:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
If you use checker, it will tell you whether they all are correct (plus it will check the volume as well). Let's hope only the last one or two are off...

I'm sorry you have to do all this work, but it is really important to get the tech specs right so the cataloging process can go smoothly and automatically.

Thanks a lot! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Ecologicalhumanist

Post by Ecologicalhumanist »

Really, I think changing the files that are there from stereo to mono won't be that difficult compared to actually recording the rest of the book!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

A couple of days ago I opened an early chapter in Audacity and it came up as mono. But maybe that is my settings. Good luck making the changes. No, definitely won't take as long as rereading!! Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
Ecologicalhumanist

Chapter 26 is up! I also downloaded random chapters from earlier and it seems they are mono. I think I just forgot that I knew they were supposed to be that way, so we should be good. :?
I feel like my microphone is giving me more static than usual, so if it becomes unlistenable let me know (I'm using noise reduction already).
Ecologicalhumanist

Chapter 27 is uploaded. There were some typos in the archive.org version (in the title and at the end--"but of it turned out" and "discovery as the occupant", but I checked the Newberry edition and read what the text should have been.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Ecologicalhumanist wrote:Chapter 27 is uploaded. There were some typos in the archive.org version (in the title and at the end--"but of it turned out" and "discovery as the occupant", but I checked the Newberry edition and read what the text should have been.
Hi EH -

Something very strange that I've never seen before. Chapter 27 comes up as a html file not an mp3 so I can't do anything with it. Can you re-upload the mp3 please?

Also, Chpt 24 is still stereo and 94.2 dB.

I'll get to the rest this morning.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi EH -

In Chapter 23 there is a long pause between approx. 2 min 9 sec and 2 min 20 sec. Otherwise all good.

Chapters 25 and 26 are PL OK!!

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
Ecologicalhumanist

Okay, thank you; I'll fix the pause in 23!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

gailtv wrote:Something very strange that I've never seen before. Chapter 27 comes up as a html file not an mp3 so I can't do anything with it. Can you re-upload the mp3 please?
No need to reupload!
The link in the MW was not correct - I have changed it and chapter 27 should be listenable now.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Ecologicalhumanist

Okay--The pause in 23 should be fixed now, and I uploaded 28. Sorry for the bad link for chapter 27!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Ecologicalhumanist wrote:Okay--The pause in 23 should be fixed now, and I uploaded 28. Sorry for the bad link for chapter 27!
Hi EH -

Sorry, but 23 somehow has the pause in it still.

On a better note, 27 and 28 are PL OK!!

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
Ecologicalhumanist

Hmmm--I checked the file on my computer and the pause was gone, so I probably uploaded the old file, or maybe didn't change the link. Anyway, I uploaded it again and checked it from the BC window, so (fingers crossed) the issue is resolved.

Chapter 29 is uploaded, hopefully without pauses or problems!

By the way, I'm enjoying your reading of Humboldt's Personal Narrative!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Ecologicalhumanist wrote:
Hmmm--I checked the file on my computer and the pause was gone, so I probably uploaded the old file, or maybe didn't change the link. Anyway, I uploaded it again and checked it from the BC window, so (fingers crossed) the issue is resolved.

Chapter 29 is uploaded, hopefully without pauses or problems!

By the way, I'm enjoying your reading of Humboldt's Personal Narrative!
23 is PL OK!! I can't get the Notes window to update. Something isn't working for me there - but it is sporadic and happens for all the projects I'm involved with.

I'll get to 29 soon.

Glad you are enjoying the Personal Narrative. I have to admit it was a bit of a mission, and some of the bits were hard to read. I'm not a Spanish speaker so faking it with the Spanish words, and discovered listening to the radio last night that I have mispronounced Cumana. It is koo maa naa', emphasis on the final syllable, not the middle one. AvH did some amazing things - but aren't some of his digressions quite amusing?

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Chapter 29 is PL OK!! Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
Ecologicalhumanist

Thanks Gail!
I wouldn't worry to much about the Spanish pronunciation--you seem to do pretty well with the French and German words, and nobody is perfect.
I've just started listening to it, but I can see how AvH is prone to some pretty serious and amusing digressions. More Mardi chapters coming soon!