The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
jesse76

Post by jesse76 »

Yes -- great catch: I think that must have been the problem, since it hasn't been happening with my last few recordings. Many thanks!

Best,
Jesse
Swordstone

Post by Swordstone »

When recording on Audacity, and you have to stop in the middle of your recording, how do you save it so that you can continue recording on it without having it duplicate on you. :help:
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Swordstone wrote:When recording on Audacity, and you have to stop in the middle of your recording, how do you save it so that you can continue recording on it without having it duplicate on you. :help:
By duplicate do you mean starting a new track when you start recording again? If so, press the shift key and the record button together to continue recording on the same track. If not, please elaborate.
Karen S.
carolb

Post by carolb »

May I just add to gypsygirl's suggestion that your cursor needs to be in the centre of the red record bottom at the top first?

Carol
Swordstone

Post by Swordstone »

Yes gypsygirl, the thing duplicates on me. You did clarify my first question. What of I were to save the recording and close audacity, and then come back the next day to continue recording, what do i do then? :hmm: :?:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hold down the Shift key while pressing the Record button to continue recording on the same track. This works in the same recording session or in a new one after opening the file the next day. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ironcladredhead

Post by ironcladredhead »

Hi guys,

So I'm new here but not new to Audacity, but I'm having an issue with recording volume with my new mic. It's a Floureon BM-800, and I'm using Audacity 2.1.1 in Windows 10. I slid the recording volume way up on the program, but I'm still coming through too quiet in my 1-minute test. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
carolb

Post by carolb »

Does Audacity recognize your mic? It should show in the little box above. If not, go to
Control panel --> Hardware & Sound --> Manage Audio Devices --> Recording

Another hint - make sure you mic is plugged into computer before opening Audacity.

Hope this helps,

Carol
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

carolb wrote:Does Audacity recognize your mic? It should show in the little box above. If not, go to

Another hint - make sure you mic is plugged into computer before opening Audacity.

Hope this helps,

Carol
And while you've got that open, select your mic, click Properties, and make sure the volume's maxed under Levels.
Karen S.
ironcladredhead

Post by ironcladredhead »

gypsygirl wrote:
carolb wrote:Does Audacity recognize your mic? It should show in the little box above. If not, go to

Hope this helps,

Carol
And while you've got that open, select your mic, click Properties, and make sure the volume's maxed under Levels.

Well I changed something, but now my voice sounds like a demon when I record! :lol: Did I go too far in Properties or something?
tony123

Post by tony123 »

This link has quite a discussion on the BM-800 mic and its need for phantom power among other things. It sounds like a pretty informative discussion; hope it can help you.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-my-BM-800-microphone-super-quiet
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:help: Side note here
The box that shows up on my computer when I try to record has this in it:
"error while opening sound device. Please check the recording device settings and the project sample rate."
My microphone is a usb & plugs directly into my computer. Settings seem to be fine.
I do not know what the project sample rate is.
Please help me if you can.
Thanx,
adr6090
April
tony123

Post by tony123 »

It may be that you don't have your mic plugged in before you open Audacity so that Audacity recognizes your mic. I hope so because that's an easy fix! :)

For your sample rate in Audacity, open the Preferences Dialog Box, go to the "Edit" tab. Select "Preferences" at the bottom of the pop up window. The preferences selections box will appear. Under the "Quality" tab check that the "Default sample rate" is 44100 Hz. Set your "Default sample format" to 16 bit. I hope this helps.

Here's the definition of sample rate from the Audacity manual: "Measured in Hz like frequency, this represents the number of digital samples captured per second in order to represent the waveform."
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Thank you for your reply!! I found my faux pas and fixed it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am past that speed bump and now I will figure out the condenser & be ready to record. :D T

adr 6090
April
tamzy

Post by tamzy »

After I record, I listen to the recording and do my editing. Then I export it to an mp3 file. So far every single time I export it to an mp3 file, the first 30 seconds or so is cut off of my recording. I can't figure this out. I didn't even edit that part and when I listened to it, it was fine. Its not until after I export to mp3 that it gets cut off. I thought maybe it was the mp3, but when I go back to Audacity its cut there too... just gone! Does anyone know why this is happening?
Tamzy