The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thanks, Tricia. Yes, agree completely. Never use that effect on a whole file.

I'll just add that with the DeClicker effect I have found it unnecessary to use the Z key first (which ensures that the highlighted bit starts and ends on the zero line), which you need to do with all other effects to prevent adding a click.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Ruth! That is very good to know.
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Something strange just happened with my Audacity. Normally when I edit a recording I use the c-key to listen before I delete something (that way I can listen to the way it will be when /if I delete a selected section). But now it suddenly doesn't work anymore. :hmm: Any ideas how I can find that most useful function again? Thank you!
Kathrine
Steve

Post by Steve »

kathrinee wrote:Something strange just happened with my Audacity. Normally when I edit a recording I use the c-key to listen before I delete something (that way I can listen to the way it will be when /if I delete a selected section). But now it suddenly doesn't work anymore. :hmm: Any ideas how I can find that most useful function again? Thank you!
Hi Kathrine

Hopefully your problem is the same as the one that I encountered last year.

( viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40238&p=1147275&hilit=steve#p1147275 )

The work-round to this issue that I use is to highlight a small area of the Audacity track that I am editing then press the record button. This opens a new track below your main one - then delete this new track.

You should find that the c-key now works correctly.

Hope that this helps.

Steve
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Thank you so much, Steve, it works! (It is practically magic :D )
Kathrine
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

I've been having trouble with Audacity lately where the program completely freezes up in the middle of editing. I was working on a longer-than-usual piece (55 minutes) and it froze at the 28 minute mark, also freezing everything else on my computer like it was an old-fashioned 98 or something. Has anyone else had this happen recently? Solution please.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

I've had that recently--mostly if I leave an Audacity file open overnight, it freezes the next morning. However, if I'm editing and I have too many things open (or sometimes without any reason at all) it freezes too. I don't know why, exactly, it does it sometimes, but I try to save (using keyboard shortcuts so it's faster) after every couple edits/changes so that it doesn't lose it. I also try to keep an eye on what time I'm at so that I don't have to flip through to find the spot. Sorry, I don't know how to fix the problem, just try to make it not quite so bad :)
Adele

Post by philchenevert »

Audacity keeps all versions running so that if you want to undo a change it can instantly go back. Saving the aup file seems to release all those versions and make it eat less memory. My opinion. (If it only ate gumbo instead of memory ....... :roll: )
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
carolb

Post by carolb »

Just butting in to say I love your signature quote, Phil - from Sheila Waters, one of the world's loveliest calligraphers Image

Carol
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

carolb wrote:Just butting in to say I love your signature quote, Phil - from Sheila Waters, one of the world's loveliest calligraphers Image

Carol
Thanks Carol. I did not know she was a calligrapher, and one of the best too. As for the quote, that idea has gotten me off dead center many times when I was discouraged with the quality of 'my' product or stuff compared with what I presumed other people could do, think, achieve and produce.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
jesse76

Post by jesse76 »

Hi folks,

Here's my issue: the ".mp3" suffix isn't being added when I export my audacity file. Up to now, the suffix had been automatically added to the file name: I'd save it in audacity as "narrativeofthelife_03_douglass.128kb" and then export it and upload it with no trouble. When I tried to manually add the suffix to the file name AND THEN export, the program offered me the opportunity to add BOTH ".mp3.aup," but not just ".mp3." I've tried restarting Audacity and restarting my computer (iMac) to no avail.

Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Best,
Jesse
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

My two thoughts:

Are you actually exporting to MP3, or just trying to save? You must export. Saving does the .aup. And when you export, be sure to choose to export as an MP3.

My other thought is that often a file list will not show the .mp3, but it will still be there. You know - the computer people try to make things clean and neat, but don't realize we sometimes want to see the file extensions. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
jesse76

Post by jesse76 »

Many thanks, Tricia! I'm going to double-check everything and maybe delete and re-upload Audacity -- which has been acting up in other ways -- if I can't work it out.
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

jesse76 wrote:I'd save it in audacity as "narrativeofthelife_03_douglass.128kb" and then export it and upload it with no trouble.
You have a dot in your filename before the 128kb which should be an underscore. Extra dots confuse audacity making it think that what follows is a file type.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Good catch!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine