COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 44 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

OCTL7 wrote:Hi Sue,

May I offer "The Alhambra" by W. Somerset Maugham? It's chapter 23 in his book of travel The Land of the Blessed Virgin: https://archive.org/stream/landblessedvirg00mauggoog#page/n196/mode/2up/search/alhambra

It lasts 13:06 mins and the url of my recording is: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf044_alhambra_maugham_lb_128kb.mp3

This is my first recording and my name is Lilith Branda.

Thanks!
Hi Lilith, Welcome to LibriVox! :) We're glad that you decided on the Nonfiction Collection for your first recording! I'd never done any recording either when I started out with LibriVox; it is scary at first but gets easier . . . Your choice of the Alhambra is a wonderful topic for a first read . . . a place of mystery and beauty, both to visit in person and to read about. Your technical recording specs looked ok to me. Craig (Soupy on the forum) is our dedicated proof listener, and he will proof listen the text for you.

Best wishes,
soupy

Post by soupy »

Hi Lilith.

My name is Craig and I'm proof-listener for this project. Welcome to Librivox short nonfiction collection 44 -

I listened to your recording and enjoyed it very much. Alhambra is too beautiful for one person to describe it to another and a visit is best. Your reading was fine except for one little stumble and the end silence.

Sue will come along and put the recording in the Magic Window soon but you can make the correction any time.

Thanks for the reading :)

11:44 p 188 a little repetition where you read “I know that” - beginning of second paragraph.

The should be 5 seconds silence at the end

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 »

Hi Sue and Craig,

Thanks so much for such prompt responses!!! I just did my first Audacity edit! It took a bit of stumbling, but I think I made it. :D

I re-uploaded the file. Please check if it is fine: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf044_alhambra_maugham_lb_128kb.mp3

I am having lots of fun already. Everyone has been so helpful! :clap:
-------oOOo--oo------Oo----------

\
(
9<
/) )
_L___§___\|/__§______\|/_____§_______§§_
"For want of a bird / The sky was lost" -- Tom Waits
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

OCTL7 wrote:Hi Sue and Craig,

I am having lots of fun already. :clap:
Bravo! :thumbs:
soupy

Post by soupy »

Hi Sue and Craig,

Thanks so much for such prompt responses!!! I just did my first Audacity edit! It took a bit of stumbling, but I think I made it.
Hi Lilith

That editing job was perfect. PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
david wales

Post by david wales »

Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »

Peace, David
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi, David, I can see you're putting the long Memorial Day weekend to good use--recording for LibriVox! :) Thanks for these contributions!
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for Trials of the wife of a literary man by Leonora Blanche Lang David. It is PLOK :thumbs:
Craig
Last edited by soupy on May 29th, 2016, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

Poets as landscape painters by Leonora Blanche Lang is also PLOK :thumbs:

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi David,
Poets as Landscape Painters was a decidedly enjoyable listen. I got a real laugh out of Leonora Blanche Lang's tirade against Sir Walter Scott's description of the "herd of swans" on St. Mary's Loch. Why so? Well, I could immediately imagine a poem entitled "To the Two White Swans in the Retention Pond" ( a poem as yet unwritten, maybe later today).

Thou know'st it well; nor fen, nor sedge,
Pollutes the pure lake's crystal edge
. . . (Scott)

Those "who are impelled by Scott's majestic lines ... to visit 'St. Mary's silent lake,' will be rather bewildered when ...they compare the reality with the description in Marmion." (Lang)

My take on poetic license vs. reality: Our local mega medical complex, situated along a crashingly noisy highway has a "fitness path" that runs along the highway and past a retention pond. Some years ago, they installed two swans in the retention pond to drive away the herds of Canada geese that are numerous around here. The first time I encountered these huge white swans, I was really surprised to find them in such an unlikely setting. But now, I like to walk past their retention pond, because I am immediately transported (via poetic license) to a place of calm and beauty resembling Monet's Giverny.

Memorial Day Weekend greetings to all,
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi Sue, Ummmm, I guess poetic license could take one almost anywhere and anywhen. I also guess I prefer the Romantic excesses to the insalubrities of much modern poetry. Oh well, to each his own. (I didn't know swans were so averse to other waterfowl. You live and learn.)

Here is a third and final essay from Mrs. Lang's book. I had originally planned to do the whole book as a solo and then realized that I was interested only in the three essays I've sent you. I hope three entries from one source is not too many for our short nonfiction collections. I'll certainly be guided by your librivox wisdom.

Two centuries of American women by Leonora Blanche Lang (wife and widow of Andrew Lang of the fairy tale books)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf044_twocenturiesamericanwomen_lang_dw_128kb.mp3

35.55 duration

https://archive.org/details/menwomenandminx00langgoog
p. 233

Now back to my neglected solo projects!
Peace, David
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

david wales wrote:Hi Sue, Ummmm, I guess poetic license could take one almost anywhere and anywhen. I also guess I prefer the Romantic excesses to the insalubrities of much modern poetry. Oh well, to each his own. (I didn't know swans were so averse to other waterfowl. You live and learn.)

Here is a third and final essay from Mrs. Lang's book. I had originally planned to do the whole book as a solo and then realized that I was interested only in the three essays I've sent you. I hope three entries from one source is not too many for our short nonfiction collections. I'll certainly be guided by your librivox wisdom.

Two centuries of American women by Leonora Blanche Lang (wife and widow of Andrew Lang of the fairy tale books)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf044_twocenturiesamericanwomen_lang_dw_128kb.mp3

35.55 duration

https://archive.org/details/menwomenandminx00langgoog
p. 233

Now back to my neglected solo projects!
Thanks for this contribution! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for Two centuries of American women by Leonora Blanche Lang David. I found it very interesting. PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

Here is a short article from Voltaire 1694-1778

America from the Philosophical Dictionary Vol 1
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/35621/35621-h/35621-h.htm#AMERICA

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf044_america_voltaire_cc_128kb.mp3

3:39
"Dear Reader: I wonder if you may not sometimes have felt inclined to doubt a little the correctness of the familiar philosophic maxim that the external is the internal and the internal the external." Soren Kierkegaard, Either/Or vol 1 Preface

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge