A question about versions

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

I'm just curious as to the idea behind having multiple versions of the same text. Something like "The Pickwick Papers" (which I'm really looking forward to enjoying) is upwards of 29 hours long and there's a 3rd version in the works. Why would this be done instead of spending that time on a new project?

Oh how I love what you all do!
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

For a lot of reasons! It could be that the reader really loves that book. Or someone who complained about another version (so not LibriVoxy!) actually took us up on recording their own version. Maybe the reader felt that the book should be read by someone of a different gender or with a different accent. Maybe the reader wants to read all the books by that author, so that we have a complete set in one voice. There are so many reasons, making LibriVox as awesome as it is!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The LibriVox admins don't tell soloists what to read or book coordinators what group projects to do. So if someone wants to make their own 7th version of Anne of Green Gables, they may. I find so many versions a little silly when there are so many other books out there to do, but we don't prohibit it.

I saw on Facebook that someone has a personal mission to record Dickens' works, so that's why he's doing it even though there are already 2 versions. :)

I have recorded a "version 2" of one book. I did it because I liked the story, and I thought I could do a better job on it. Now, don't go searching it out! LOL!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

Just more examples of the free-and-easy world of Librivox and its volunteers it seems. Love it.
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I think "choice of voice" is actually really important. When there are multiple versions of I book I'm planning to listen to, I usually go through and listen to a minute or so of all of them before deciding which one to "commit" to. There are differences in pacing, accent, use of voices, style, etc. Personally, I find pace the most important aspect of a reading. I can't stand it when a reader reads too slow for my taste. OTOH, I know I read quite fast and I like to listen to fast-paced readings - I'm well aware that not everyone shares this preference!

There was a long discussion a while ago about the use of "voices" in a novel. Since I'm the "dramatic" type :shock: I prefer a soloist who does voices. And my final criterion is accent - I'll always listen to a British accent for first preference. But as I said, I'm aware that many (most) people prefer a USA accent. 8-) So I think there is always room for another version of a classic novel!

As for why I'm planning to read Version 23 of The Secret Garden (which I will, eventually ;) ) is that I just love and adore that book and I want my daughters to be able to hear ME read it (as well as everyone else). My LV work is my legacy to them and it wouldn't matter to me if it was version 123 and no-one else would ever listen to it - I'd still do it! (I just wish I could record the full collection of Roald Dahl's works! They would love that, and it would be hilarious to read!)