LibriVox Community Podcast Planning

Non-reading activities need your help too!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Go for it! And if you have any questions, post. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
catrose

Post by catrose »

Thanks Tricia! Aim completion date will be just before 23rd April (for obvious reasons...) :P
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
glennobrien

Post by glennobrien »

catrose wrote:Thanks Tricia! Aim completion date will be just before 23rd April (for obvious reasons...) :P
Shakespeare's death was on the 23rd April 1616 according to the Julian calendar (used in England throughout Shakespeare's lifespan, but with the start of the year adjusted to 1 January). This date is equalent to 3rd May 1616 under the Gregorian calendar. England did not adopt the Gregorian calendar until 1752.

Miguel de Cervantes (who wrote Don Quixote) died 22nd April 1616. Spain adapted the Gregorian calendar in 1582.
catrose

Post by catrose »

How very interesting!! However, 23rd of April, which is also St George's day, is known as Shakespeare Day here (with a lot of celebrations this year though it is mainly centred around Stratford Upon Avon) so I think I'll stick with it being out for that date :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

One of our Librivox Listeners will be celebrating his 102nd birthday on June 12, 2016. Please join with me to make his birthday celebration special.

I'll be putting together a short podcast to celebrate Bill's birthday and would love to have as many LV readers as possible send along birthday greetings.

Please see this thread for more information and to contribute: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=60864
Deadline for submissions: June 4, 2016

Thanks for helping us out with this!
MaryAnn
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I'm preparing to launch a Community Podcast once MaryAnn's is finished. Are sound effects allowed in the podcasts?
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I will be starting LV Community Podcast 141 soon, Your first...
I have a few questions though:
* Are sound effects that I create and release into the public domain allowed?
* Are "advertisements" for open projects looking for PL's or readers still used?
* Are "advertisements" to let LV listeners know there is a new book released allowed, if it contains a clip of the audiobook?

Thanks
Kangaroo

ETA - I PM'ed Piotrek81, and he said it is okay for me to start mine and move his to 143.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'd suggest not numbering the podcasts until you're ready to release them. That way if this one gets delayed for some reason, it won't be out of order. (Keeping the number on the uploaded files is OK, but when it'll only be official at release time.)

On to your questions:
* Are sound effects that I create and release into the public domain allowed?
Yes, as are other PD sounds or music as long as they're definitely PD.

* Are "advertisements" for open projects looking for PL's or readers still used?
We haven't done it in a long time, if ever. Personally, I'd leave these out since projects come and go, and the information will be obsolete quickly while the podcast remains available.

* Are "advertisements" to let LV listeners know there is a new book released allowed, if it contains a clip of the audiobook?
Allowed? I'd say yes. But keep in mind again that the person listening 5 years from now won't be hearing an ad for a newly released book. ;)
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Thanks for your answer. :)
Kangaroo
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Would anyone be interested in a podcast in honour of the late Lars Rolander? I think it would be fitting, given his huge contribution to Librivox.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by TriciaG »

Or if Kangaroo gets his Your First podcast ready, it could be a portion of that?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sorry people, I may be missing something here, but...

is anybody doing an 11th Anniversary Podcast?

I cannot find anything?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

TriciaG wrote:Or if Kangaroo gets his Your First podcast ready, it could be a portion of that?
I beg to differ. I think that our late colleague deserves a podcast devoted entirely to him.

It would also be a good way of advertising the completion and cataloging of the two projects he left unfinished at his death.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by plaidsicle »

I just want to pop in here to say thank you to everyone who has created podcast episodes over the years. I'm finding them wonderfully enlightening-- especially the "Pioneer Days" series. there are so many things about LibriVox that I've been curious about, and hearing the veterans share what things were like in the beginning is so cool.
it's also exciting to think that I could put together a podcast sometime if I wanted.... what will the next podcast topics be... ? what sort of thing could I add that would be interesting...? I will have to keep listening and thinking of ideas.
:)
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Might be an idea, based on this post in off-topic:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=62835

:)