LibriVox monthly statistics

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

So we should see our 10,000th project cataloged in June, or right around there! This is exciting! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:February saw 90 projects added to the catalog (with another 3 already in for March) for a total of 165 so far in 2016.
Thanks MaryAnn - I should tell you, every month I look at the stats with interest. (I suppose that makes me a "rats and stats" person, as the saying goes! ;) )

It is interesting to see that in Feb more projects hit the catalogue than in January - I would have expected the reverse. Feb is a shorter month and I would have thought people would do more recording in the holidays in winter. Obviously I would have been wrong! :lol:
J_N

Post by J_N »

Candybatch wrote: It is interesting to see that in Feb more projects hit the catalogue than in January - I would have expected the reverse. Feb is a shorter month and I would have thought people would do more recording in the holidays in winter. Obviously I would have been wrong! :lol:
The stats don't tell you when those projects where started... we have projects that run for years before they get completed... so, just because a month is shorter doesn't mean less projects get completed, it depends on how fruitful we have been in the months before ;)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Were there really 90 projects catalogued in March, i.e just like in February? Or is the counter on the main page one month behind?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

There were 82 projects cataloged in March, which brings the total for this year to 245 (including 1 already cataloged for April). Other stats:

Total number of projects 10206
Number of completed projects 9572
Number of completed non-English projects 1301
Total number of languages 92
Number of languages with a completed work 36
Number of completed solo projects 5355
Number of readers 7412
...who have completed something
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

How much closer are we to 10 000 after April?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

There were 85 projects cataloged in April (and another 2 already in May), which brings the total for this year to 331.

Total number of projects 10292
Number of completed projects 9658
Number of completed non-English projects 1312
Total number of languages 92
Number of languages with a completed work 36
Number of completed solo projects 5398
Number of readers 7475
...who have completed something

MaryAnn
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Piotrek81 wrote:How much closer are we to 10 000 after April?

Looks like we have 342 to go before hitting 10,000! :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Which could be just 4-5 months at the rate we are going! August? September?

Thanks, Todd
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Wouldn't be a good cause for a double celebration if it coincided- in terms of the month, not necessarrily the exact day- with the 11th anniversary of LV? :9:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Let's just wait and see how it works out . We don't want a rush of 2 minute projects just to get there - lets aim for quality not quantity :D :D

Anne
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Hi,

It looks that the 10.000 audiobook will be relatively apart of the 11 anniversary (although both during 2015).

I am newbie so I ask to the real experienced people here. I dare to make a suggestion about the 10.000 books milestone. It could also be for the 11th anniversary, although I have seen there is a specific thread and project for a podcast on it.

I am thinking about a kind of showcase of the 10.000 books milestone and of the books themselves. It could be partly simply statistics: the 10 most viewed (or downloaded or listened if those statistics were possible), the 10 in English, in German, in French, in Spanish, in Italian and other languages (or shorten it to 5 for the ones with less books). For ease, the statistics should be the ones in archive.org. Or a single category for "languages other than English" or groups of languages (roman, slavic, asian, african).. There could be also a single category "most viewed books in their original language" (or make a separate for English and then the rest as probably otherways it would be only English. And another on most viewed translations (in any language). I think there could be also a category for "solo" works (ten most viewed?) and possibly other for dramatic readings. May be for these categories it would be either most viewed or open a vote by the community. The voting might be complicated, or not, as there should be a selection of candidates, proposed by someone?.
There could also be books for which there are more versions also including translations.
There could also be simply 10 best recordings. I think this would require voting (and reviewing by sufficient voters).
As I contribute with covers I think I would like to see also something like 10 best covers. This could be on the basis of visits or by vote.
The best summaries could also be another category.
There could be subcategories like fiction and non fiction, poems. May be not too many subcategories.
There could be another category for the oldest books, the rarest, the most unknown (hidden treasures).
The 10 most recommended (by voting again).

May be a recognition of the coordinators, with the 10 longest works in terms of duration, chapters or tracks, or series of audiobooks would also show another part of the hard work involved.

As a newbie I do not dare to look in detail about the people involved here but the highest contributors in terms of readings and related measurable contributions. The ones contributing to the most coordinations, the most summaries, the most covers?.

Also a tribute to those who contributed but have passed away unfortunately, might be also worth.

I think it is in the thread of the 11 anniversary but aspects such as the motives of contributing, i think it is very interesting to put together with statistics.

Or a selection of one book per year of publication: 10 books. (or ten books per year).

I am sure the ones with much more involvement and experience can point to relevant categories or aspects I am missing, and also relatively easy to collate (particularly if it is statistics). And there are possibly already events for earlier milestones celebrated already (1.000?, 5.000?).

Just a kind of brainstorming idea.

Cheers,

Basquetteur
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Personally, I do not like the idea of voting for "best of" anything. It doesn't feel right to me. Others may feel differently.

And I don't like the "most downloaded" categories because that is no indication of quality. It is an indication of how much name recognition a project has (wonderful but more obscure works aren't downloaded as much) and how long it's been in the catalog (the earlier versions of course have been downloaded more).

Like I said, others may feel differently. My lone opinion doesn't decree Yes or No. ;) Keep the brainstorming coming! Fresh ideas keep us fresh. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We don't have much in the way of statistics other than what are posted monthly so for example I couldn't tell you
Who had PLed the most projects
Who had BCed the most projects
who had MCed the most projects
who had made the the most M4B files
who had made the most covers
who had contributed the most in terms of listening hours - a section count is 1 for one line in a play and for 1 hour of technical reading
who has listened to the most 1 minute tests

There are probably more :D Apologies to those doing things I didn't include

Anne
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Thankyou Tricia and Anne for the comments on my suggestion. I do not like either the idea of the "best" when talking about books.

May be just taking from the existing catalogue and the already existing fields in it, it is relatively easy to make some interesting statistics describing the existing works in librivox. The fields are: author, language, genre/subject, and title.

So which 10 authors have the most books in librivox? Conan Doyle, Verne, Austen, Pirandello, anonymous,...?
which books (titles) versions and languages?
which 10 books titles have more versions and translations?
Which related series of books are the longest? Poetry collection, Bible?
How many chldrens/fiction are there? (other categories)
Which are the top ten solo books (from the catalogue advanced search) most viewed (according to the statistics in archive.org)?

And figures like that.

I think the statistics mentioned by Anne look more complicated to get.

Cheers,

Basquetteur