Librivox Shakespeare Podcast

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
catrose

Post by catrose »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:I'm going to try to do something about Shakespeare-in-2-weeks soon, I just haven't had an opportunity to record in silence yet. :)
Thank you Adele! :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

We have lots of Shakespeare here (and hence many people interested in his works, presumably) so it rather surprises me that you are unable to gather enough submissions for a podcast :hmm:

I'd like to help but I can't honestly think of anything to say. While I read some of his plays at uni and even recorded a monologue (both in English and in Polish) I have no preference for Shakespeare.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
catrose

Post by catrose »

Do you have anything interesting to say about Shakespeare in other languages, Piotr? Like does it convey the same sentiment in Polish? Is it read the same way as in English? I've tried to struggle through a Welsh Shakespeare monologue for a future monologue but I can't seem to make the syntax sit with the words and expression well. But then again, my Welsh is fairly pidgin (I'm very close to the English border so my Welsh is quite migildi magildi)

Ah, a lot of Shakespeare people here, I find, are either very busy or don't think themselves "experienced enough" to talk about it having only been in one or two, which is a shame because if they don't act quick with anything to say, I will fill the podcast with my own nonsense. ;) Plus, a lot of the "main" original members of the LV Players (people, such as Elizabeth Klett, Arielle Lipshaw, mb, DublinGothic, etc) who were in pretty much all of the original/first versions of the Shakespeare have all moved on.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

catrose wrote:Do you have anything interesting to say about Shakespeare in other languages, Piotr? Like does it convey the same sentiment in Polish? Is it read the same way as in English? I've tried to struggle through a Welsh Shakespeare monologue for a future monologue but I can't seem to make the syntax sit with the words and expression well. But then again, my Welsh is fairly pidgin (I'm very close to the English border so my Welsh is quite migildi magildi)

Ah, a lot of Shakespeare people here, I find, are either very busy or don't think themselves "experienced enough" to talk about it having only been in one or two, which is a shame because if they don't act quick with anything to say, I will fill the podcast with my own nonsense. ;) Plus, a lot of the "main" original members of the LV Players (people, such as Elizabeth Klett, Arielle Lipshaw, mb, DublinGothic, etc) who were in pretty much all of the original/first versions of the Shakespeare have all moved on.
Don't forget I'll be sending you something soon. I'm just a slow poke. Slow, but sure. How do you want this to be? Do you want this to be addressed to you or to the ostensible outside listener?
John Burlinson
catrose

Post by catrose »

I think addressing it to the listener/community would be best :) that's how Ive addressed my section. But either way is perfectly fine by me. Thank John, you rock :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

carolb

Post by carolb »

Here I am :? At least, my recording is in Cori's folder, duration 2:22
Apologies for sounding like a reading rather than a conversation - I had a small window of time to record and edit, so both were a little rushed. Hope it's ok, but feel free to edit, discard, whatever.

Carol
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

catrose wrote:I think addressing it to the listener/community would be best :) that's how Ive addressed my section. But either way is perfectly fine by me. Thank John, you rock :D
OK. Don't forget -- you asked for it!

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/shakespeare_jburlinson.mp3
3:26

Too long I know, but feel free to cut away. Or junk it altogether and tell me to do it again.

Best wishes for your podcast. And thanks for giving us a chance to spout off.
John Burlinson
catrose

Post by catrose »

Thank you both!! :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

catrose

Post by catrose »

Hi All,
A reminder that I'd like any contributions as soon as possible, as I'd like the podcast to be launched this Saturday :)

Anyone with any recommendations of favourite scenes and monologues are very very welcome, otherwise I'll just be adding my own personal reccomendations and favourites from the LV catalog :wink:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

catrose wrote:Hi All,
A reminder that I'd like any contributions as soon as possible, as I'd like the podcast to be launched this Saturday :)

Anyone with any recommendations of favourite scenes and monologues are very very welcome, otherwise I'll just be adding my own personal reccomendations and favourites from the LV catalog :wink:
Hi, Cat. Do you plan to include the scene in the podcast or do you plan to merely mention it?

What would you like -- a link to the file or a reference to the LV catalogue page?

Thanks.
John Burlinson
catrose

Post by catrose »

I will be showing clips of scenes/monologues suggested :)

The catalog page or even just the name of the play and which version are enough. I can find anything further than that :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

catrose wrote:I will be showing clips of scenes/monologues suggested :)

The catalog page or even just the name of the play and which version are enough. I can find anything further than that :)
OK. If I could suggest a recent title of which I was the BC (no time for modesty!) -- Favourite Scenes From Shakespeare

https://librivox.org/favourite-scenes-from-shakespeare-by-william-shakespeare/

You could highlight any of the scenes -- but I might suggest Cleopatra's death scene or Desdemona's
Death Scene (Othello Act 5. scene 2). Nothing like a good death scene!

Good luck and thanks again for what you're doing. Let me know if there's any way I could be of help.
John Burlinson
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Here's Esther's and my contribution: https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/shakespeare_estheradele.mp3
It's longer than the 1-2 minute mark, but since it's got stuff from both of us it should be ok, right? ;) Anyway, feel free to keep what you want and get rid of what you don't. We put a couple short clips of our favorite scenes from each of the Shakespeares-in-two-weeks. Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing it altogether! :D
Adele

Post by natsnut »

I love The Winter's Tale, an underrated gem among Shakespeare's plays, and would be delighted if you gave it a nod by including some excerpt from it. The comic scenes with the rustics are great fun.
Also, I think one of the greatest moments in any of the plays is the one in King Lear when he wakes up and has his first conversation with Cordelia since their estrangement. It's in Act 4 scene 7, the part that begins with "How does my royal lord, how fares your majesty" and ends with Cordelia's moving line "No cause, no cause."
catrose

Post by catrose »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:Here's Esther's and my contribution: https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/shakespeare_estheradele.mp3
It's longer than the 1-2 minute mark, but since it's got stuff from both of us it should be ok, right? ;) Anyway, feel free to keep what you want and get rid of what you don't. We put a couple short clips of our favorite scenes from each of the Shakespeares-in-two-weeks. Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing it altogether! :D
This is so fun girls! Well done! :) (Plus, yes, PL's do occasionally need sleep :lol: )
Cat
charlotteduckett.com