[NotLV]Got a question about paid books,

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
MannerMauler

Post by MannerMauler »

Hello!

I've got a question, on the app, there is a category for paid books.

If all LibriVox are Open Source and free, why do you have to pay for these books? I've looked in the FAQ and I can't find anything about it.

:| :hmm: :?
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

If you download them from the Librivox website at www.librivox.org, they're all free. The app isn't made by Librivox, but by somebody else, who charges for some books. You can always just come to the Librivox site and download them for free.
Adele

Post by MannerMauler »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:If you download them from the Librivox website at http://www.librivox.org, they're all free. The app isn't made by Librivox, but by somebody else, who charges for some books. You can always just come to the Librivox site and download them for free.
Okay, thanks! So far, the books I've seen that require payment are pretty recent, (such as books like 'A hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy' and 'Mockingjay') so that had me a bit confused too. (AKA books like 'A hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy' and 'Mockingjay')
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Well, LV only does books that are in the public domain, so recent books are probably from another website that requires payment. The app is just a place that brings them all together. :)
Adele

Post by dlolso21 »

Some of the apps that use Librivox in the name started out basically just offering books from Librivox.

Then app developers realized they could make more money by offering more recent titles from other sources so they changed their selections, but kept the same name for the app.

Librivox does not have an official app.

David O
kayray

Post by kayray »

dlolso21 wrote:Librivox does not have an official app.
We need that in blinking bold rainbow-coloured text somewhere :) :) :)

(Or we could hire a skywriter? Or buy an ad during the World Cup? Maybe print it on the moon?)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Or maybe in really large print on our homepage...at the top!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Unless, of course, someone DID want to design an official LV app! I know less than nothing about apps, so I have no idea how difficult or easy this would be - but it would (apparently) have some appeal, as we seem to get quite a few questions from people about the LV app...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Someone could design one, but we as a LV entity wouldn't support it (in the technical sense of the term). It's beyond our prime directive. An individual can take it on, but how is it then official?

In other words, if someone makes an Official LibriVox App, and LV doesn't take responsibility for its quality, tech issues, etc., is it still an Official LV App? :hmm:

I DO wish the developer of the so-called LV app would change its name. It's very confusing.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THe guy who designed the LV app is a member, and he was encouraged by us all to make the app as another distribution outlet.
And it works well as one as far as I can tell. I only make phone calls on my mobile phone :D
So we have an app - at no cost to us other than to point people in the right direction . Pretty neat I think

Anne