Hello from Glasgow

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
jodie2011

Post by jodie2011 »

Hi, my name is Andreea, I am Rumanian native and I lived for 15 years in Italy.
I discovered this site when I was looking for volunteering opportunities and I decided to register.
My 1-minute test is on Listeners and Editors wanted and I can't wait to start. :D
Cori

Post by Cori »

Good to have you joining us, Andreea! I look forward to hearing you around the place. What language(s) might you record in? :D And have you thought about what you'd like to record ... stories, poems, non-fiction ... ?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
jodie2011

Post by jodie2011 »

Hello Cori,

Thanks for welcoming!! :D
I would like to use my mother tongue, Rumanian as well as Italian and English!!
What would you suggest to start with? :help:
And what is like your experience on this portal?
Cheers!
Cori

Post by Cori »

The 1-minute test is always the best place to start now. :D It's a good way to make sure your recording set-up is all ready to go, with the technical settings we need, and that the volume is right. It's horrible to have recorded an hour-long piece, and then find that it's much much too quiet to use (or so loud that it distorts. And yes, both have happened to me! :( )

After that, perhaps something short for the Multilingual collection? There are already some Rumanian poems there, taken from the only public domain Rumanian text at Project Gutenberg. Another idea might be to pick a short story ... it could be anything, but one suggestion would be the English book Rumanian Bird and Beast Stories -- a story or two from there would fit nicely into the Children's Story Collection. Just because it'd be fun to share your country's folklore like this. Or something else for the Multilingual collection in Italian? Gutenberg has lots of books in that language.

My experience here! Well, I love LibriVox. I've been doing it for more than 10 years now, and it's great fun. I like working with other people to produce books, I like listening to other people and the way they read. I like the way readings here sound. So many sound like a friend reading to me and take me deep into the story that way. I really love how helpful LibriVox people are -- and kind, too. Everyone's cheering each other on, because we all know that recording isn't *that* easy. It can be hard to put your voice out in public for people to listen to. It can be a real slog doing all the editing to get a file ready! And it's not just people who record ... those who don't read are helping/working in heaps of other ways, from proof-listening (checking a file is okay) to coordinating projects to making lovely CD covers, publicising, and so on.

LibriVox has grown and changed enormously since I've been here. But it's still just as much fun as the day I joined. :D Be careful, it can be a little addictive ;)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!