Napoleonic War

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
AirCanuck

Post by AirCanuck »

Does anyone have any great books set in the Napoleonic war or similar era? I love adventure books about this. I've listened to the Brigadier Gerard series, The Great Shadow, and One of the 28th, and loved them all.

Does anyone know of more? I absolutely love them!

cheers
Tally-ho!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Have you tried G. A. Henty? He wrote very popular historical adventures e.g. One of the 28th - a Tale of Waterloo.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Baroness Orczy springs to mind.

(You handle the blood-and-guts battle fiction, Ruth. I'll take care of the sensitive lurve stuff. :lol: )

SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
AirCanuck

Post by AirCanuck »

RuthieG wrote:Have you tried G. A. Henty? He wrote very popular historical adventures e.g. One of the 28th - a Tale of Waterloo.

Ruth
Love GA Henty - actually if you look, one of the 28th is one of the books I mentioned ;)
Tally-ho!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Oops :oops: should read more carefully!

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

What about War and Peace? :)
Adele

Post by AirCanuck »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:What about War and Peace? :)
Thank you for the suggestion but looking for more an adventurous romp than a huge journey through Tolstoy ;)
Tally-ho!
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Well, then, try Through Russian Snows. It's another Henty book. I know I've read more but I can't think of what they are at the moment. :D Are you looking for books to read or to listen to? There's another one called The Czar but it hasn't been done on LV yet.
Adele

Post by AirCanuck »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:Well, then, try Through Russian Snows. It's another Henty book. I know I've read more but I can't think of what they are at the moment. :D Are you looking for books to read or to listen to? There's another one called The Czar but it hasn't been done on LV yet.
To listen to. I think I have listened to most of Henty's books - they're generally very good. I'm not sure I've done that one yet though. I should mention I also love stories about knights, like Doyle's "The White Company" or another called "The Black Arrow - a Tale of Two Roses" or Howard Pyle's "Men of Iron"
Tally-ho!
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Autobiography of a seaman, vol 1, has some naval action from that time...
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
AirCanuck

Post by AirCanuck »

Timothy Ferguson wrote:Autobiography of a seaman, vol 1, has some naval action from that time...
Frank Marryat for that one right? I've listened to it. Love his work. Mr Modshipman Easy is probably my fav. I definitely love nautical fiction from this era too.
Tally-ho!
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

AirCanuck wrote:
Timothy Ferguson wrote:Autobiography of a seaman, vol 1, has some naval action from that time...
Frank Marryat for that one right? I've listened to it. Love his work. Mr Modshipman Easy is probably my fav. I definitely love nautical fiction from this era too.
No, it's the biography of Thomas Cochrane, who was Marryat's commander for a while.

It is not fiction, but the main scenes in it have been robbed blind by later authors. Patrick O'Brian, particularly, owes Cochrane a whole heap of thanks.

Volume 2, which I'm working on at the moment, has less action and more about naval abuses (although it has the Stock Exchange Trial, which is Patrick O'Brian's "Reverse of the Medal".)
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
AirCanuck

Post by AirCanuck »

Timothy Ferguson wrote:
AirCanuck wrote:
No, it's the biography of Thomas Cochrane, who was Marryat's commander for a while.

It is not fiction, but the main scenes in it have been robbed blind by later authors. Patrick O'Brian, particularly, owes Cochrane a whole heap of thanks.

Volume 2, which I'm working on at the moment, has less action and more about naval abuses (although it has the Stock Exchange Trial, which is Patrick O'Brian's "Reverse of the Medal".)
Love O'Brian, although after I think 7 or so books I lost interest. Have you read the Matthew Hervey series by Allan Mallinson?

Anyhow I may have to check that out. Thank you! Anything else you know of would be great. I'm more interested in scenes of action and adventure than otherwise.
Tally-ho!