Librivox Shakespeare Podcast

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
catrose

Post by catrose »

Listen to...

Librivox Podcast 141

The Shakespeare Podcast!

Hosted by Charlotte Duckett

With contributions from Lean Yau, Carol Box, Maria Kasper, John Burlinson, Caprisha Page, Adele de Pignerolles, and Esther ben Simonides.

0:00 - Introduction
0:55 - Charlotte Duckett's first experience of Shakespeare at Librivox
2:37 - Extract from Macbeth (http://librivox.org/the-tragedy-of-macbeth-by-william-shakespeare/) Starring mb and John Leider
4:49 - Lean Yau on the joys of Hamlet at Librivox including Ophelia's Monologue (http://librivox.org/shakespeare-monologues-collection-vol-12-by-william-shakespeare/)
8:15 - Extract from Hamlet (http://librivox.org/hamlet-version-3-by-william-shakespeare/) Starring Elizabeth Klett
11:00 - Carol Box on Early Experiences of Shakespeare
13:30 - Extract from Cymberline (http://librivox.org/shakespearean-dialogues-collection-001-by-wiliam-shakespeare/) Starring Carol Box and David Richardson
14:35 - Extract from The Winter's Tale (http://librivox.org/the-winters-tale-by-william-shakespeare/) Starring Arielle Lipshaw and Bruce Pirie
15:55 - Maria Kasper shares her experiences of Shakespeare
18:38 - Extract from A Midsummer Night's Dream (http://librivox.org/a-midsummer-nights-dream-version-3-by-william-shakespeare/) Starring Chuck Williamson, Algy Pug, Alan Mapstone, Monika MC, gloriousjob and Libby Gohn
20:02 - Extract from The Tempest (http://librivox.org/the-tempest-by-william-shakespeare/) Starring Bruce Pirie, mb and Elizabeth Klett
21:20 - John Burlinson on Audiodramas of Shakespeare Projects
24:49 - Extract from A Midsummer Night's Dream (https://librivox.org/a-midsummer-nights-dream-version-4-by-william-shakespeare/) Starring Tony Addison, John Burlinson and Sonia
26:40 - Favourite Scenes from Shakespeare (http://librivox.org/favourite-scenes-from-shakespeare-by-william-shakespeare/) Starring Tony Addison, John Burlinson, Sonia, Beth Thomas and Michelle Eaton
28:15 - Experiences of Shakespeare from Caprisha Page
29:31 - Extract from Coriolanus (https://librivox.org/shakespearean-dialogues-collection-002-by-william-shakespeare/) Starring Duan, Caprisha Page and Martin Geeson
30:23 - A Tribute to Denny Sayers
31:40 - Extract from Romeo and Juliet (http://librivox.org/romeo-and-juliet-version-4-by-william-shakespeare/) Starring Denny Sayers
34:19 - Adele de Pignerolles and Esther ben Simonides - Behind the scenes at the Flashmob Shakespeare Project
41:29 - Outro

[Released April 24]

In Celebration (if that's the correct sentiment) of the 400th Anniversary of Shakespeare's Death, we are doing a podcast on him! It will be released on 23rd April 2016. Over my time at Librivox (and before) Shakespeare and his dramas have played a huge part of my life and this is our way of giving some sort of dedication to the mighty bard!

So how can you help?

I'd like to know your experiences of Shakespeare, in particular your experiences of Shakespeare here at Librivox. Any fun Shakespearean or Shakespeare based projects you have done.
If you wouldn't mind, could you please record yourself saying this (or something similar) - it only needs to be 1 or 2 minutes long! I'm trying to keep the entire podcast under 30 minutes! (mainly to stop myself from talking too much... :shock: )

I'm also taking "requests" (a bit like a radio request show) of anyone's favourite scenes, monologues/dialogues (we are on our 11th monologue collection I think, and we have a dialogue collection, not to mention having recorded all of his plays, poems and sonnets and various works inspired by him, so the selection is never ending!) and why you are requesting that particular item. If you don't wish to record these reasons, I can as I was planning to record tiny intros to each section anyway :)

If you could record your contributing experience, that'd be the best! If not, I will happily read out any comments where people do not wish to record their contribution.

Then could you upload it to the cs - Cori folder in the uploader under the name shakespeare_[username] eg shakespeare_catrose

To be a part of the podcast, all contributions must be uploaded and in Cori's folder before the 20th April 2016

(I hope this isn't too long winded! It's my first time hosting a podcast and I'm not very succinct at the best of times, especially when I'm nervous about this going well as I am now!)
Last edited by catrose on March 16th, 2016, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thanks for the PM tipping me off to this thread! I'd love to contribute a few brief remarks on the Shakespeare podcast. In a few days, when I have time, I'll get something recorded for you.

As for "requests" -- I've got to say how much I love the "Pyramus and Thisby" play as performed by Bottom and company in Act 5 of "Midsummer Night's Dream". I don't know whether there is a separate short recording on LV that contains only that bit. But perhaps you could extract that excerpt from the complete play.

The complete Pyramus and Thisby excerpt is found in Act 5 of this recording, from 10:18 to 22:15.
If you want a shorter excerpt, you could use just the "death scenes" from 16:20 to 22:15, and shorten it even further by omitting the interruptions of the noble audience and using just the parts that are the actual performance by the rustic players.
https://librivox.org/a-midsummer-nights-dream-version-3-by-william-shakespeare/
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

catrose wrote:
I'm also taking "requests" (a bit like a radio request show) of anyone's favourite scenes, monologues/dialogues (we are on our 11th monologue collection I think, and we have a dialogue collection, not to mention having recorded all of his plays, poems and sonnets and various works inspired by him, so the selection is never ending!) and why you are requesting that particular item. If you don't wish to record these reasons, I can as I was planning to record tiny intros to each section anyway :)
Hi, Cat -- thanks for the message -- and what a wonderful idea! I certainly will upload a brief reminiscence of my experience with recorded Shakespeare. You're free to do with it what you want -- edit freely or just ignore it: whatever.

Just to mention -- a small group (Adonis, Kitty, wib66, Elizabby and myself) are currently doing an anthology -- "Favourite Scenes From Shakespeare" -- 21 scenes from his most poplular plays. You can have a look at this at

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59755

It would be nice if you would care to mention this in your podcast -- and, if you wish, feel free to excerpt any of the scenes therein. We aim to have it finished by April 23; in fact, we're about 80% done already, with only some editing left to do.

I've also contributed to the latest couple of monologue collections. Were you asking for people to suggest their own recordings for inclusion in your podcast?

I wish you the best in this project.
John Burlinson
catrose

Post by catrose »

commonsparrow3 wrote:Thanks for the PM tipping me off to this thread! I'd love to contribute a few brief remarks on the Shakespeare podcast. In a few days, when I have time, I'll get something recorded for you.

As for "requests" -- I've got to say how much I love the "Pyramus and Thisby" play as performed by Bottom and company in Act 5 of "Midsummer Night's Dream". I don't know whether there is a separate short recording on LV that contains only that bit. But perhaps you could extract that excerpt from the complete play.

The complete Pyramus and Thisby excerpt is found in Act 5 of this recording, from 10:18 to 22:15.
If you want a shorter excerpt, you could use just the "death scenes" from 16:20 to 22:15, and shorten it even further by omitting the interruptions of the noble audience and using just the parts that are the actual performance by the rustic players.
https://librivox.org/a-midsummer-nights-dream-version-3-by-william-shakespeare/
Thanks for the request Maria! I will take a listen/look :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
catrose

Post by catrose »

jburlinson wrote:
catrose wrote:
Hi, Cat -- thanks for the message -- and what a wonderful idea! I certainly will upload a brief reminiscence of my experience with recorded Shakespeare. You're free to do with it what you want -- edit freely or just ignore it: whatever.
Thank you John :)
Just to mention -- a small group (Adonis, Kitty, wib66, Elizabby and myself) are currently doing an anthology -- "Favourite Scenes From Shakespeare" -- 21 scenes from his most poplular plays. You can have a look at this at

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59755

It would be nice if you would care to mention this in your podcast -- and, if you wish, feel free to excerpt any of the scenes therein. We aim to have it finished by April 23; in fact, we're about 80% done already, with only some editing left to do.
I have been eagerly watching the thread and waiting for you to be finished! :lol: We could approach its inclusion in two ways - one of the five of you could record a bit about it, explaining why you did it, the fun you had etc. etc. Or I could just do a quick shout out about it :)
I've also contributed to the latest couple of monologue collections. Were you asking for people to suggest their own recordings for inclusion in your podcast?
I don't mind :) Your own stuff, other people's stuff, anything that goes with a memory or a personal favourite version of a monologue that, say, you studied in school or affected your life. I'm leaving it really really open! :mrgreen:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Librivox Podcast 141/142/143ish (not exactly sure which number, if someone can enlighten me)
The podcasts added to the Wiki page haven't materialised, so you can have 141 :).

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
catrose

Post by catrose »

RuthieG wrote:
Librivox Podcast 141/142/143ish (not exactly sure which number, if someone can enlighten me)
The podcasts added to the Wiki page haven't materialised, so you can have 141 :).

Ruth
Thank you Ruth! First post changed to say this :mrgreen:

Got any spare time to contribute something? :wink:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

It's a little known fact (true story!) that, in the Kemmyn dialect of the Cornish language, the word for "chicken" is "yerik".

I always had this vision of one of the great Cornish-Australian Shakespearean actors of our age ... :D ... holding a freshly-exhumed chicken skull and remarking: "Alas, poor Yerik! I knew him, Horatio..."

Yes, I know. Time to up my medication.

SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
catrose

Post by catrose »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:It's a little known fact (true story!) that, in the Kemmyn dialect of the Cornish language, the word for "chicken" is "yerik".

I always had this vision of one of the great Cornish-Australian Shakespearean actors of our age ... :D ... holding a freshly-exhumed chicken skull and remarking: "Alas, poor Yerik! I knew him, Horatio..."

Yes, I know. Time to up my medication.

SOTE
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Got any spare time to contribute something?
You really wouldn't want that. I became allergic to Shakespeare at school and he brings me out in spots.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
catrose

Post by catrose »

Moving this back to the top!

17 days before I launch and I only have 1 contribution and 1 request! I know you don't want a podcast of just me talking for 20 minutes so get a wriggle on and contribute!

Other suggestions for short segments/your experiences:

(If you've lent your voice to a drama) What was your favourite Shakespeare role and why?

What Shakespeare play(s) do you dream about reading in and as who?
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Oh, dear! I must confess this had slipped my mind until you bumped it back up. I'll get something to you in the next day or so.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Charlotte, here's a little something for you --
https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/shakespeare_commonsparrow3.mp3

I aimed at a 2-minute limit, but as I was just rambling away without a script, it ended up at at 2 min 46 sec. Rather than choose which bits to edit out, I leave the choosing to you. Since you will have to edit the podcast anyway, feel free to remove and discard anything as you please. (There is a bit right at the end where I cast my vote for a Shakespeare scene to include on the podcast. Since it's right at the end, it can be easily snipped off if that scene is not used in the podcast.)
catrose

Post by catrose »

Thank you, Maria :)

Currently, we have only 1 contribution to this podcast. I have tried to get people interested and I have PMed pretty much everyone who has taken part in a Shakespeare production or Shakespeare-related project in the past. If I don't get more contributions or more interest in the next two weeks, I'm going to have to regrettably cancel this podcast.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

I'm going to try to do something about Shakespeare-in-2-weeks soon, I just haven't had an opportunity to record in silence yet. :)
Adele