I have an idea

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

No, wait! Come back! Don't run away screaming!

I'm thinking, a collection comprised of the most intense four lines of poetry you know of.

Would it be correct to call that "The Quatrain Collection", or have I blundered?

SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
catrose

Post by catrose »

I think this is a good idea

(Ducks and covers in case I'm adding petrol to the flame of your insanity...)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not sure it would work as an audio file. Intro (disclaimer+ name poem + author +reader ) - four lines of poetry outro. 5 secs , then intro four lines of poetry outro etc ?
Maybe a podcast sometime with people given a chance to say to say why they pick it might work better ? - this too is just an idea - must be catching. :D :D

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, even the shorter, poetry intro/outro would be longer than the recording itself. :lol:

But I don't think there's any policy against such a project, if one wanted to brave the wrath of listeners' complaints about the file lengths. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

An admin saying they aren't sure it would work is not the same as saying you can't try if you want. :D . Sometimes we might be wrong - or someone might see a different way of doing the same thing.-

Anne
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:No, wait! Come back! Don't run away screaming!

I'm thinking, a collection comprised of the most intense four lines of poetry you know of.

Would it be correct to call that "The Quatrain Collection", or have I blundered?

SOTE
Yes, it does seem as though you are something of an "ideas man" (like Wayne in The Castle)

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"Tell him he's dreaming!", huh?

Ideas man, maybe. Salesman, definitely not!

The bandwagon for this new idea for an 11th anniversary seems to have sunk to the axle-tree, so I think it's time to draw the curtain and toe-tag the podcast. Better luck next year.

SOTE
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

I'm interested, just haven't posted because I was thinking. :D Maybe you could do both the quatrains and the eleven-word thing, to get it longer? Plus, the anniversary is in August, so maybe if you launch the podcast now, by August you will have enough participation. What I really think would be great in the podcast, though, is an anniversary song....
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

I'm interested if you do the 11-word thing. :) I just don't do any poetry unless it rhymes and I can sing it. ;) I agree that if you do both it might get a lot more support.
Adele

Post by commonsparrow3 »

I liked the 11-words idea, and have been playing around with possibilities for my contribution since you suggested it.

I am not quite sure what the quatrain idea is, which is why I haven't replied to it. Are we supposed to find poems that are exactly 4 lines long, or take 4 lines out of a longer poem? Do they have to be an actual quatrain - (rhyming and in correct meter?) - or simply 4 lines of any style? Do the poems need to have some reference to the LV 11th anniversary? If I understood better what was wanted, I think I'd be likely to participate.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just as an opinion
I think you are likely to get more people if you don't specify poetry - many of our readers do not read poetry here, so you would be excluding a large percentage - which is a bit sad for an anniversary. If you wanted to expand the podcast a bit you could have a pre set script something like
Hello all , this is Fred Smith here , from Philip Island Australia . I joined LV in 2016 and the 11 words I think best describe LibriVox are .. , ....., etc . Happy Birthday LibriVox

Preferably more interesting than this though - you're the one that has ideas , and maybe you could add a few more spaces to fill in (all optional) ," I'm 108 years, I record when the 23 children are all asleep in the shoe, and use the space under the stairs as a studio , etc

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

In my experience, you just have to go ahead and start a thread for the anniversary podcast and ask for contributions with a definite end date for submissions, see what you get, and put it all together. Once people start contributing, others will also get involved... or if they don't, you'll have a short podcast ;), but that isn't the end of the world. Just go for it!

Bring in Bachelor No. 1 to help by all means - he adds another dimension :lol:. Perhaps my Fred will speak to him and explain his frustration at the microphone taking precedence when he should be getting his slave's undivided attention.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding