Resurrecting Abandoned Projects

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
downey8kids

Post by downey8kids »

Hey guys. I was working on Dr. Syn by Russell Thorndike. I think it has turned into an abandoned project. How can I get it back up and running. I have been real busy lately, but I do intend to finish this unusual story.
carteki

Post by carteki »

Post your request here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22757

No-one has picked it up, but the title does look fascinating.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Or, an easier way is to PM any admin, and that person can bring out of mothballs for you. Let me look around for it and let you know what I find. :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

The project was marked as abandoned as of February 27. It has not been posted for adoption in the Abandoned Solos thread. Would you like it brought back out? If you do, then I will put it in the Launch Pad. You may have to wait for a new MC.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

icequeen wrote:The project was marked as abandoned as of February 27. It has not been posted for adoption in the Abandoned Solos thread. Would you like it brought back out? If you do, then I will put it in the Launch Pad. You may have to wait for a new MC.
Actually, it WAS in the Abandoned Projects thread, but someone mysteriously deleted it. 8-) (Not me.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I was the MC for this project. It was abandoned when there was no response to my post in the thread after a month. I removed it from the abandoned project post earlier today when I saw this thread so that no one tried to pick it up before I have time to reinstate it.

Edited to add: Project is active again and back in Going Solo. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58174
Jo
carteki

Post by carteki »

And the original reader hasn't been back to the site since! Hopefully just on an Easter Break.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

That's OK, sometimes it takes a little time to get back in the LV habit. At least we know that the project is still wanted.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

icequeen wrote: March 21st, 2016, 4:53 pm...It has not been posted for adoption in the Abandoned Solos thread.
Please and Thank You: Might you identify the Abandoned Solos thread with a hyperlink?

I have got as far as wiki-studying [SOLO] and realized that it might be more productive to pick up an abandoned project than start my own 53-section job.
Thanks
Chris Greaves
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ChrisGreaves wrote: January 19th, 2022, 5:19 am
icequeen wrote: March 21st, 2016, 4:53 pm...It has not been posted for adoption in the Abandoned Solos thread.
Please and Thank You: Might you identify the Abandoned Solos thread with a hyperlink?

I have got as far as wiki-studying [SOLO] and realized that it might be more productive to pick up an abandoned project than start my own 53-section job.
Thanks
Chris Greaves
It's one of the threads stickied to the top of the Book Suggestions forum, called "Abandoned Projects with some chapters recorded". viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22757

Generally, we don't recommend that newbies adopt these abandoned solos. Often they're abandoned for a reason (difficult text to record, etc.) Definitely work on some group projects first, to get used to recording and uploading. (And we wouldn't recommend a 53-section solo to a newer reader, either.) ;)
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TriciaG wrote: January 19th, 2022, 6:40 amGenerally, we don't recommend that newbies adopt these abandoned solos. Often they're abandoned for a reason (difficult text to record, etc.) Definitely work on some group projects first, to get used to recording and uploading. (And we wouldn't recommend a 53-section solo to a newer reader, either.) ;)
Tricia, thank you for this prompt response.

(1) I figured that there would be one section of "Citadel" to read and get PLd, and then I would start the process of wrapping-up as a BC normally would; a learning exercise for me with a benefit to LibriVox of sending another book to the catalogue. I reasoned too that I would need help, but I would not be faced with the work involved in a brand new project (assembling a team, herding cats etc). Tbe overhead involved in learning to BC will always be there, but a little effort from me and a mentor,(hint hint) ought to produce a completed work. In a way it is an ROI calculation.

(2) "Abandoned" suggested to me "what have we got to lose?". The project is moribund, or even past that stage. I and LibriVox have much to gain if I can get the project finished.

(3) Your point on " abandoned for a reason" is the reason I thought of this project. The thread is locked, so I can't use my project-analysis skills to work out why it is abandoned. I reasoned that a date of December 31st last year (not yet two months ago) means a greater possibility that some of the team members are still around; a greater possibility than a project abandoned, say, ten years ago.

(4) I ran a readability indexer on the Gutenberg text and found

Code: Select all

Statistics for L:\CitadelOfTheGreenDeath.doc
0 --->  24,382 Words.
0 --->  5,246 Unique Words.
0 --->  2,608 Unique paragraphs.
0 --->  5 FOG index.
0 --->  100 Comprehension
 --->  139.0% Empathy
 --->  0.41 Complexity
That is the only raw data available to me. Ten out of eleven sections completed suggests about 2,000 to 2,500 words left to do.
In my Copious Free ™ I have been recording sections of about 5,000 words each: 92,98,103 (for practice) and 104,106 and 107 of this project. In "Citadel" I don't see any footnotes in German (but see my post on footnotes). I have just finished recording section 107, and and skimmed through "Citadel". No German, plenty of commas, no typographic errors, no footnotes, no boring boring lists of cantata numbers with diactritic German text in between. I was hoping in "Citadel" for a well-earned rest (grin)

(5) Absolutely agree about the 53-sections. That said, I do have two works in mind of about that length to do as a SOLO, and as a retired live-alone I can set my own schedule. My calendar belongs to me. One section Read/Recorded per day is achievable, especially as it is written in my native language (Australian). That is why I spent a few hours this morning reading whatever I could find about SOLO projects.

I would much rather learn by wrapping up an abandoned project than by building one from scratch right now. Besides I see a few openings remain in that Bach/Schweizter project, so if I put just a teeny bit more pressure on Mozartjr, I might be able to get more practice there faster than you can say "Jesu, lass dich finden Mein Hebster Jesu ist verloren Doch Jesus will Schauet dock und sehei Wir zittem und wanken Herr, gehe nichi ins Gericht Aus liebe will mein Heiland sterben"
So the full-size SOLO is a ways off yet, but I thought to test the water.

Again, Tricia, thank you for your response. I understand the experience of members who caution about walk-before-you run. I am however committed to learning the various parts of LibriVox, that is a promise I made to myself.
Cheers, Chris
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I could pop the thread out into the light for you to look at, but as I mentioned in the Launch Pad thread you started, it's only PD in the USA. Do you still want to see it?
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TriciaG wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:46 am I could pop the thread out into the light for you to look at, but as I mentioned in the Launch Pad thread you started, it's only PD in the USA. Do you still want to see it?
Thanks again, Tricia.
Ah! A test to see how quickly I can get out of my depth (grin).
Yes please, Tricia, I would like to see the thread as part of a learning process.
As far as Copyright goes I got up to speed on that on my first day, and like everyone else realized that i would never really understand copyright.
Mozartjr said that I was good for the Bach Project.
Whether that applies to me here I don't know.

But "PD only in the USA" sounds like "Not PD in Canada", which would indeed rule me out :cry:
(later) Hang About! Would not PD apply to reading/recording only?
Does PD/Copyright have any impact on BC, PL, DPL, MC roles?
I was looking at "Citadel" as a way to pick up a few skills in managing a project.

When you resurrect the thread, please post me a link so I can find the thread.

(signed) "Still learning" of Bonavista.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh - I thought you were going to record the last chapter of it, rather than BC it as a group project (i.e. have someone else read the last chapter).

In the Bach project, the author died in 1965, which is longer than 50 years ago (Canada copyright). This one, 1975 if I recall correctly, is less than 50 years ago, so it's still copyrighted in Canada.

Copyright would affect PLs, listeners, readers... and probably BCs, because a BC probably can't coordinate a project without downloading the text, even if they don't download the audio files. I wouldn't record the last chapter if I were you. It's up to your scruples if you choose to BC it. :)

(I don't MC projects that are copyrighted in Canada, because I download a backup of the projects I MC. Other MCs don't, so they're comfortable MC'ing projects copyrighted for them.)

The project thread is here, now visible:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=86164
The audio files themselves won't be downloadable, as they've been moved from where the URL points.

Let me know when you're done looking at it, and a "yea" or "nay" on doing it. I'll then move the thread to its appropriate location depending on your answer.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TriciaG wrote: January 19th, 2022, 8:37 am The project thread is here, now visible:
Let me know when you're done looking at it, and a "yea" or "nay" on doing it. I'll then move the thread to its appropriate location depending on your answer.
Hi Tricia, that didn't take long!
The project reads like a tragedy in one act:-
12, 8, 2, 5, 7, 7, 6, 14, 13, 9, 37, 172
Those are the intervals between sections, 12 days during startup, then pretty regular weekly intervals, a couple of hiccoughs, and apology, then - silence.

I am willing to risk BC'ing it, but I suspect that LibriVox will be better served by a consensus amongst administrators. My willingness to risk it should not jeopardize LibriVox's good name.

If I do BC it then I will need to find a Reader from the USA or the Republic of Marshall Islands That is part of BC'ing, I believe, and that is one place where I would like to start learning.

In other words, if Admins feel yes, I'll be happy to tackle it as BC; but if anyone vetoes it, not a problem. I will know in future to make a better search for an abandoned project. That means I am learning.
Tricia, thanks for your help on this. I owe you one. Or Two.
Chris